2006 Scion xA Consumer Review: Good car for long commutes

2006 Scion xA - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Good car for long commutes
By melissa on

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

While it doesn't have the power of my last car, a V6 Mercury Cougar, I knew I would have to make a trade-off for the better gas mileage. Mostly picked this car for the promised fuel efficiency but am a little disappointed in that area. Hoping the lower cost of upkeep will make up for the lack of fuel savings. Also, was a little concerned about the safety of such a small car, but had my first accident in it last month. After being side-swiped by a much larger truck, I was amazed at how little damage was done to the car. Mostly cosmetic. Not even a bump or bruise on me. Would definitely recommend it to anyone in any age group who wants something economical and still fun to drive.

Love the appearance. Mine is a sportier limited edition with fancy grill and spoiler which takes away from the economy-car look. Also love the steering wheel radio controls and cargo space.

Moon roof would definitely be nice. Since I bought my xA in the winter, I thought the slow warm-up time was normal. Not getting any better with the warmer temps though. Different material for the dashboard. The stuff there now is a pain to try and keep clean.