2006 Scion xA Consumer Review: Bad Gas Mileage/Frequent Visit

2006 Scion xA - Consumer Review

Bad Gas Mileage/Frequent Visits to the Shop
By igobye on

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 28,000 miles the best mileage I've gotten is 36 mpg once. Most of the time I'm lucky to get 33 mpg highway. I commute 90 miles daily and I'm not getting the mileage that I expected, which was one key factor in choosing the car. When I asked a Scion dealership about it, I was given the same excuse others have been - those are just estimates and there is not much they can do about it. On top of the gas mileage issue, my car has been in the shop three times. The first time was to to replace the radio that changed channels by itself. The second time to replace the Camhead assembly and the third time it was leaking between where the gas nozzle goes and the tank. It was all warranty work, but I'm almost out of warranty - then what? At this rate I'll be broke.

It is fun to drive and has lots of leg room for adult passengers, even in the back seat. It has a very good sounding radio.

Give it more cargo room in the hatch (including more room with the tire is to store a 'real' jack), better fuel economy, and keyless entry. Make variable intermittent wipers and an intermittent rear wiper standard. Add a 6th gear - the car drives hard at highway speeds. Sometimes it feels like I forgot to shift up a gear.