Used 2006 Scion xA Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion xA Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Parking in Boston? HA! no problem!!
By Professor X

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I don't understand why some owners are getting less than 35 mpg on the highway. I visit my mom in NY every other weekend; exactly 250 miles. It has a 10.9 gallon tank. On average I get there with half a tank left. It breaks down to 38+ mpg. I purchased the xA because of the price. At first I was deeply concerned about it's size. That's no longer a problem. As an average college student, there's plenty of room for friends, laundry, computer parts, etc. Should you need more drop one of the seats. Another concern was its engine. Since its only 1.5 liter, I feared it will be too small for a car. Again its not a problem. It's a very nimble car for me and...a date. 4 adults is a different story

I absolutely love the fuel economy! A nice short clutch. I smile when I'm parallel parking in Boston; so many options when the car is small! 6 speakers stereo. First aid kit! Ladies find the 'microwave' in the dash very intriguing. There really isn't enough characters to do this car justice.

OEM tires are terrible! If possible replace asap. A shorter shifter would be nice; my hand bumps my passengers leg going into 5th. Relocate front cup holders; too close to the shifter. Too much engine and road noise. Light weight = 'rag doll' effect when it really windy. In the end, I still love it

My 1st new car
By scottygunn

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my xa. It can be a little uncomfortable on 1400 mile trips but for the most part it's uncomfortable. I get great gas mileage and the stereo is great. I only wish it had a little better looking dash and was a little faster. But what it lacks in power it makes up for in gas mileage.

stereo, gas mileage, price, looks

They don't make it any more but the blind spots (which you can get use to), more engine power, better dash

I love this car!!
By Christina

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought mine in 02/2006, and as of 10/2007, I've put 42,000 miles on it. I love my xA. I have it decorated and always get looks and nice comments. It's been cross-country several times, and it's perfect for a 3 to 4 week roadtrip for 2 of us. The front is very roomy, though the backseat can get tight for adults. With rear seats folded down, the cargo space is huge. I get 32 to 34 mpg, doing lots of highway driving, but frankly, it can vary wildly depending on the quality of gas. I once got 10% ethanol in Illinois, and only got 26 mpg on that tank, but that's very unusual. I'm bummed that they've discontinued the xA in favor of the xD. I was planning on buying another xA in a couple years.

The look, the handling, the space. I love how high you sit, considering it's a small, zippy car. Fantastic stereo system, great layout for the entire console. Easy to park. A/C works well. Eye-catching.

The OEM tires were awful - lots of slipping and hydroplaning. Buying it again, I'd get the stick shift because it doesn't always shift when it should. Could use rear-intermittent wipers. The blind spots take a bit of getting used to, but I haven't personally found them to be problematic.

Warning for Scion xA Buyers!
By scionwarning

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just paid $707.00 for repairs to the air vac system because I was told that "topping it off" can cause gas and air flow problems. I do not top my gas tank off. I may round off to the nearest 10, but I do not top off. My car has only 51,000 miles. I am 53 years old. My contention is if this is a problem with all Toyotas as I was told at the dealership, then a disclosure from Scion/Toyota should be made available and placed on the gas cap or sun visor or the warranty manual - somewhere. Buyers beware!! I am writing to the CEO and President of Scion as well.

Good gas mileage, but my 1991 Toyota Tercel and 1988 Honda Civic were better.

Put disclosure about "topping gas tank off" and possibly creating $700.00 in repairs! This is nonsense. More reason to go solar and hydrogen and get away from this ridiculous gas engine and air flow and computer sensors.

Love the xA
By Pat and Naree

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I wasn't sure about the xA when we first looked at it since it was so small. Worried about lack of trunk space and comfort with 4 people. Wife loved the look and feel. Once we got it home, I started driving it instead of my Toyota Camry! It's really fun to drive, the car really does have enough room for 4 to be comfortable. "Trunk space" good enough for groceries, no problems with space in any situation so far. A comment on previous posts about gas mileage. The sticker mileage is EPA rated and is always at least a few MPG higher than what you actually get. We have auto transmission which has overdrive button, tachs about 2700 at 65 mph, helps reduce engine noise and improve MPG.

Peppy, fun to drive, iPod connection, good sound from stereo. Good gas mileage. Small, easy to park. So far (10 months) reliable. Like console in the center, didn't take too long to get used to this.

A little more storage space up front would be good, maybe larger glove compartment. Will look into xB center console one post talked about.