Used 2006 Scion xA Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

We love our xA
By Ted F

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have approximately 2000 miles so far. Primarily used on the highway at 65-75 mph. Vehicle tacs between 3300-3700 rpm at those speeds but still rides quiet and smooth. A 6th gear would be great. Vehicle handles sweet. Very much please with all aspects so far. Highway/city mpg combined average nets us 36-39, just what I wanted. I know on a long road trip (mostly highway) I will exceed 40 mpg. Stereo and standard pw and doorlocks are great. For the price Scion had more options than the 4dr Yaris. Very pleased again with our decision. Had to minimize the gas and oil companies impact on my wallet. It is just transportation to and from work. Time for all to change!

Gas mileage. Fits into any parking spot. Zipping around. Smooth and quiet ride. Smoother than my 02 tacoma and quieter ride that our 99 Astro. Wife just calls it her cute little car. She loves it also.

Sixth gear would probably increase gas mileage into the 50-55 mpg or better. I do understand it would have a bogging effect if in cruise and only tacing 2200 rpm, but if on the open highway with no hills this vehicle would handly compete withthe hybrid. I will be installing an armrest.

Fun to Drive, Great on Gas Needs Cruise
By Miss Ellie

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a commuter car for my husband to replace his truck. Car is great, zippy and fun to drive. RPM at 60 MPH is 3000 and feels like it needs a 6th gear. Otherwise, make sure you order cruise. My 22 year old loves this car. Nice MP3 connection as well. Very comfy back seat, and versatile layout for storing groceries and cargo. Buy it, you'll like it!!

Stereo, center arm rest, visibility, pickup. Amber lighting is nice. Comfort is nice for a compact car.

Lower gear ratio at higher speeds or add another gear. Car revs too high at 60+ MPH.

I Love My Scion
By PyroSaGMaN

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is so easy to shift. It has a lot of power, unlike the automatic. I can zoom zoom. This car is just amazing, I'm so in love with my car. All the things in the reviews that downgraded this car are the reason I love the car, such as where the gauges are located. Mine has more power than I need. I frequently find myself doing over the speed limit before I even get on the freeway as I merge onto the interstate. It has so much room inside I can fit camping gear and go on shopping trips and fill it to the brim and the car still has power to zoom zoom. Also not a problem for my heavy family inside. It is just too perfect for me.

I am glad the gauges are in the center of the dash so I don't have to look over or under the steering wheel to see that I'm speeding. and I love the look inside and out. it has so much room and more power than I need. I can pack it full of camping gear and still fly up the hills on the road.

Maybe a cruise control so I don't speed on the freeway. Not much to improve on.

xA review
By mczarski

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car if you want excellent gas mileage, good standard features, and way low price. We looked at all the high mileage cars, except the hybrids, and this was the best bang for the buck. Rides smooth, a little loud under full throttle, but that is to be expected from a 1.5 liter moving 2,000 plus pounds. Drives fine til about 80-85 mph, then it starts to be a little too loud from the engine bay. Put in some dynamat and it might be somewhat quieter.

Center mounted speedo and tach, decent sized cup holders, grocery bag holders, color display changes on upgraded sound system.

Lower it with some springs (improves fuel economy), upgrade the wheels to alloy instead of steel (improves fuel economy and acceleration), and put in a TRD air filter. This maintains factory warranty, and improves airflow.

WHERE'S 6TH GEAR?
By ZEEMAN

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Scion. It's roomy, sporty, handles well, is a breeze to park, and, when driven properly (with the 5spd), gets good mileage and is comfortable on long trips. I am 6' and have plenty of head and leg room. I installed the better xB armrest that actually has storage and it fit perfectly. With the back seats down, there's plenty of room for my two huge labs and they love to ride with their heads out the window. It comes nicely equipped, and mine has no options but for the armrest. I like the iPod connect as well as the standard CD player. If you are single or childless, the xA will handle about 95% of your driving/transportation needs. Not just a kid's car; I'm 36 and love it.

Styling, roominess for a small car, iPod connect, build/fit/finish quality, Toyota reliability, pricing. It's a lot of car for short money. A breeze to park. Car gets a lot of looks and draws many questions from the curious.

For God's sake, put in a 6th gear or lengthen 5th. You CANNOT achieve the advertised 38 mpg at realistic (65 mph+) highway speeds. I drive 90% highway, and can't break 33mpg. The engine revs at 3500 RPM in 5th at 65 mph, and the car sounds like its stuck in 4th. REALLY fun around town though.