Used 2006 Scion xA Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Gotta Love It!
By mike

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Considering it cost about the same as my stripped Civic hatch did in 1998, it's an amazing deal. I have had no problems with my xA. It is easy to change the oil and its ergonomics and switchgear are first rate, The shifter snicks from gear to gear cleanly. The clutch takeoff is much smoother than my Civic's. It has a smooth engine, plenty of power and torque compared to my 1.6L Civic. Its sight lines are excellent. Everything is tight and feels high quality.

The standard power locks, AC, windows, and steering.

I might have liked the speedo cluster in the traditional place. Possibly add the reclining rear seat option from the Yaris and a sunroof!

Great Car for the Money
By Rocco1

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

You get tons in this car for the price. It is agile, quick, and responds well. It has strong brakes, too.

I like the European hatchback look inside and out. For a 1.5 gets moving. It has nice sport style brakes, quick steering, and a nice shifter.

Lower the ride height to make it more sporty like the actual Euro models it's drawn from such as Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Bmw, Audi and Volvo.

Bad Gas Mileage/Frequent Visits to the Shop
By igobye

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 28,000 miles the best mileage I've gotten is 36 mpg once. Most of the time I'm lucky to get 33 mpg highway. I commute 90 miles daily and I'm not getting the mileage that I expected, which was one key factor in choosing the car. When I asked a Scion dealership about it, I was given the same excuse others have been - those are just estimates and there is not much they can do about it. On top of the gas mileage issue, my car has been in the shop three times. The first time was to to replace the radio that changed channels by itself. The second time to replace the Camhead assembly and the third time it was leaking between where the gas nozzle goes and the tank. It was all warranty work, but I'm almost out of warranty - then what? At this rate I'll be broke.

It is fun to drive and has lots of leg room for adult passengers, even in the back seat. It has a very good sounding radio.

Give it more cargo room in the hatch (including more room with the tire is to store a 'real' jack), better fuel economy, and keyless entry. Make variable intermittent wipers and an intermittent rear wiper standard. Add a 6th gear - the car drives hard at highway speeds. Sometimes it feels like I forgot to shift up a gear.

Gift for My Daughter
By marty

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter's first car had to be safe, affordable, and cool by her terms. I am very pleased that I purchased this car for her. She loves it a lot. If you could only be there as she drove it for the first time her smile still will remain in my memory for a long time. The car is better than I would have thought, because of all its perks like all the room inside, the style outside, and that it only cost $20.00 to fill the tank. Also, the ride is okay, I guess for its style, but you know that teens like my daughter only care about what is on the radio. I might even buy another one to get me back and forth to work and I'm in my 40's.

This is a great looking car from the outside that has great room inside.

Offer more color choices.

Cannot Find a Better Value
By Dave

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my xA for eleven months. You cannot find a better value. For the standard price I got an engine with variable valve timing, automatic transmission, anti-lock brakes, side airbags, air conditioning, power steering, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, rear wiper, rear defroster, a tachometer, a Pioneer radio/CD player and 6 speakers with controls on the steering wheel, a 60/40- split-folding rear seat, first aid kit, etc. Checkout Edmunds.com's True Cost to Own and note the five year depreciation compared to other cars. I have maintained gas records. The worst tank mileage was 26.32, the best 36.71, average for 39 fill ups: 30.51 mpg.

It's fun to drive and it is an excellent value.