2006 Scion xA Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:
Best new driver car and more
By mszo23 on 10/09/13 07:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got this car in 2010 a few days after I passed my driving exam. This was the first car I drove on the highway, and it taught me everything I need to know about safety driving. I bought it with 40,000mi on it and now I'm up to 90,000. This car has taken 4 1300mi trips from Upstate NY to Florida, a trip to Myrtle Beach, monthly trips to NYC, weekly trips to Niagara Falls, and much MUCH more. It has never failed on me and I only had a minor issue (around a hundred bucks in repairs) once. It's a fantastic car and I'm planning on driving it until it can take no more, which I know will not happen for another few years.

Excellent xA!
By xajohn on 07/30/13 21:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After owning various small cars: - '56 VW bus - Ducati 160 - 1956 Chevy Carryall (stovebolt 6 - $25 very used) - Fiat 1100 R - 2nd car best, Dunlop's, non-syncro 1st led to next car (ex could not figure out 1st) - Toyota Corolla (2TC hemi 1600) only lasted 439,000 miles! - Plymouth Champ (8 speed 1600) - '74 Bug - '85 RX-7 (oh well - sports car days) - '91 Geo Metro - 56 mpg until vacuum lines died - Now driving '04 scion Xa (154,000 miles so far) Wonderful, the best of the lot as to handling, seating, view out (although rear blind spots.) Optioned w/ rear anti-sway bar, front tower brace, handles like a go-cart, twice the power compared to the Metro

Great Car
By rodgerterrey on 05/12/13 18:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been looking for a O.K. priced mpg 2 wheel F.W.D. ...I have had 4x4 trucks, off road "ROCK CRAWLERS" & they all get poor mpg 10 to 13 was best!!!! I have gotten out of "OFF ROADING" &wanted a good ,fun , reliable, car for myself & after much, much, much reserach I bought a "SCION XA" & I'm loving it!!!!!! I have found after driving it for 5mo. there is a awfull glare off the dash (after getting used to the speedo location) so I bought a "DASMMAT" cover & had all windows tinted....MUCH BETTER....

Great car for a teenager or young adult
By stepay on 03/12/13 12:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used for our teenage daughter, and it's a blast to drive. Small, so easy to maneuver and park. Gets great gas mileage. Just rough enough for the driver to feel the road (important for new drivers). Hard to beat Toyota reliability, and it even looks cool. The 4 star safety rating across the board was good, but the car we have has all the air bag options, so that's even better. Nice sound system too which is more important to the younger crowd, and ours has the optional iPod input. Great for shorter drivers. You sit up high more like in an SUV, so it's easier to see out of this car than my 2005 Honda Accord. Chain instead of timing belt helps keep maintenance to a min.

I've been meaning to write something for awhile.
By super__scion on 07/24/12 17:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I was shopping far my first car in 2008, I had relied a lot on edmunds.com reviews. I was fortunate enough to see a scion xA for sale near me and immediately looked into it. I've been meaning to put my 2 cents on here about this car: I LOVE IT. If you are on the fence about going with a scion xA, hop the fence, and go get that car. It's extremely efficient, fits everywhere, fun to drive, impressively roomy for such a small design, and just a really great vehicle. I'm so glad I went with it, great first car, looking forward to keeping it that way for many years to come. I've had it for four years and I'm still always happy to see it in front of my house!

Nifty Thrifty Handy Dandy
By cats_meow on 05/08/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

PRos: -Excellent on gas (better than my bf's 03 civic hybrid) -Standard Mp3 AUdio Aux -Sits high which gives the illusion of more space & provides the driver w/false bravatto in traffic -Rear-seats fold down for strange situations that require adequate storage Cons: -Blind Spots -WIde handling on turns -Slippy-slides in rain -Poor AC power (On the highest setting, its not comparable to a low setting on my 03 Saturn Ion) -Low placement of cup holders, similar to a truck (I dropped a tea on the floor of the car, a wk after I owned it trying to get it into the cup-holder) Conclusion: It can provide flat-bed space, low maintanance costs & poor AC power but your pockets will smile!

Loveeeddd it
By souellette1 on 01/05/12 14:39 PM (PST)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My sister had this car for 4 years before she moved to Florida, i was devastated when she took her car with her. When i drove it gas was 1.68 in 2006 (detroit area michigan), so i would put 5 in it and drive forever with friends and go see the area. i was only 17 at the time but it was AWESOME. The only complaint is that its TERRIBLE in the snow.

Great little car
By j on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the BEST car I've owned. Yes, it's little. Yes, it's basic. But if you want something that is awesome on gas mileage--39-40 mpg mixed and extremely reliable, this is your car. I have put over 86,000 on my XA w/o any problems. It handles great in the snow w/ decent tires, you can park anywhere and it always started--even when it dipped around 30 below.

Was liking it, until
By cfeather on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this used with 18K on it. The car was filthy but cleaned up well and had been used for city driving. I have a new XD and needed something economical for work since I only get 30 cents per mile reimbursement. I get about 34 mpg with this, not as good as the 43 I can pull from the XD. It was good the first 35K, then a retainer fell off the Toyota brake pad and I had to replace the front brakes because they were noisy. And then at 36K the right rear wheel bearing went. That's way too early for a Toyota. So I'm wondering what will go at 38K.

Absolutely Love it!!!!!
By Denverite on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

lived in a rural area and drove to the City everyday. Despite the high miles, this car has had absolutely no problems. regular maintenance is all that is has required. I live in a winter snowy area and it handles very well. Gas is between 35-40 mpg. This car has been the best of any I have ever owned or ridden in!!!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.