Used 2006 Scion xA Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Best new driver car and more
By mszo23

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got this car in 2010 a few days after I passed my driving exam. This was the first car I drove on the highway, and it taught me everything I need to know about safety driving. I bought it with 40,000mi on it and now I'm up to 90,000. This car has taken 4 1300mi trips from Upstate NY to Florida, a trip to Myrtle Beach, monthly trips to NYC, weekly trips to Niagara Falls, and much MUCH more. It has never failed on me and I only had a minor issue (around a hundred bucks in repairs) once. It's a fantastic car and I'm planning on driving it until it can take no more, which I know will not happen for another few years.

It's small and can fit in many tight spaces, BUT the interior is surprisingly big. When you fold the back seats you have an absolutely massive amount of space (I fit a wide screen tv and a dresser in it w/o issues). It's great on gas (takes around thirty five bucks to fill), and it rides smooth.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the car is very light. You will feel the wind a lot during winter, but handling is great and that can help you get a better feel of your car. Make sure you install great tires, and you're good to go.

Excellent xA!
By xajohn

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After owning various small cars: - '56 VW bus - Ducati 160 - 1956 Chevy Carryall (stovebolt 6 - $25 very used) - Fiat 1100 R - 2nd car best, Dunlop's, non-syncro 1st led to next car (ex could not figure out 1st) - Toyota Corolla (2TC hemi 1600) only lasted 439,000 miles! - Plymouth Champ (8 speed 1600) - '74 Bug - '85 RX-7 (oh well - sports car days) - '91 Geo Metro - 56 mpg until vacuum lines died - Now driving '04 scion Xa (154,000 miles so far) Wonderful, the best of the lot as to handling, seating, view out (although rear blind spots.) Optioned w/ rear anti-sway bar, front tower brace, handles like a go-cart, twice the power compared to the Metro

1) Speedo pod placement allows installation of 100 watt 11 band amateur radio tranceiver (call Europe direct ...) 2) Nimble, great handling 3) Love the 4500 rpm power band 4) Factory cruise control (required in Florida) 5) Style 6) Looks great with my hand-built mahogany kayak on trailer behind

1) Higher 5th gear, 3800 rpm @ speed limit 2) A/C a little weak for S. Florida 3) Rear bearing failure @ 100-120 K ($350 / wheel to repair) 4) How about better color selections ...

Great Car
By rodgerterrey

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been looking for a O.K. priced mpg 2 wheel F.W.D. ...I have had 4x4 trucks, off road "ROCK CRAWLERS" & they all get poor mpg 10 to 13 was best!!!! I have gotten out of "OFF ROADING" &wanted a good ,fun , reliable, car for myself & after much, much, much reserach I bought a "SCION XA" & I'm loving it!!!!!! I have found after driving it for 5mo. there is a awfull glare off the dash (after getting used to the speedo location) so I bought a "DASMMAT" cover & had all windows tinted....MUCH BETTER....

M. P.G. s!!!!!!FUN TO DRIVE!!!!! price of gas-only 11 gal. very roomy for such a "toy" sized car!!!!

poor placement of cup holders-can get used to-!!! poor placement of speedo-can get used to- way too much use of plastic!!!!!!

Great car for a teenager or young adult
By stepay

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used for our teenage daughter, and it's a blast to drive. Small, so easy to maneuver and park. Gets great gas mileage. Just rough enough for the driver to feel the road (important for new drivers). Hard to beat Toyota reliability, and it even looks cool. The 4 star safety rating across the board was good, but the car we have has all the air bag options, so that's even better. Nice sound system too which is more important to the younger crowd, and ours has the optional iPod input. Great for shorter drivers. You sit up high more like in an SUV, so it's easier to see out of this car than my 2005 Honda Accord. Chain instead of timing belt helps keep maintenance to a min.

I've been meaning to write something for awhile.
By super__scion

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I was shopping far my first car in 2008, I had relied a lot on edmunds.com reviews. I was fortunate enough to see a scion xA for sale near me and immediately looked into it. I've been meaning to put my 2 cents on here about this car: I LOVE IT. If you are on the fence about going with a scion xA, hop the fence, and go get that car. It's extremely efficient, fits everywhere, fun to drive, impressively roomy for such a small design, and just a really great vehicle. I'm so glad I went with it, great first car, looking forward to keeping it that way for many years to come. I've had it for four years and I'm still always happy to see it in front of my house!