2005 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:
Outstanding XA
By Jojo Abaya on 09/26/05 22:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought the XA about a week ago and am very impressed with the ride. I commute 44 mins one way and needed a reliable and economical car and the XA was everything I needed. The XA has power everything and the 5 speed manual does great on the hills. It's a comfortable ride and has the Toyota reliability emanating from it. It handles well on curves and is pretty quiet (I almost stalled it twice because I kept on thinking it was an automatic due to the quiet engine!). Plenty of room, where I can put 3 car seats in the back if I needed to. I like all the aftermarket parts I can put on it to make it personal. The only bad things is that it didn't have floor mats, cruise control, or armrest.

My First Purchase
By Chelsea on 09/22/05 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my new car. I just got it last weekend. I moved from a '90 Honda Accord to the 2005 Scion xA. It's so much fun driving it and it compliments my personality perfectly. I am a small, but fun perosn and so is the car. The dash looks so futuristic and the sound system thumps. The seats are really comfortable too.

cindy loves her scion xa
By cynthia on 09/19/05 11:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 56 years old and not of part of the target market for this vehicle. I main reason I bought it is because it is a Toyota, and have experienced Toyota's reliabliliy. I needed a small, roomy, economical car and the Scion Xa fit the bill. Needless to say the price was right. I make regular trips to Lake Tahoe. I fill the car with my luggage and other items and have pulled all of the passes with no problem. It runs well at high altitudes. I have never experienced a reduction in horsepower or sluggish performance. I live in Southern California and it's peppy on the freeways. It drives at 80 mph with no problem and handles well. All in all, I love it!!!

Had Over a Year - Love It
By family on 09/10/05 22:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Scion xA for my husband before they were even released in our state - had to go to another state to get it. We love it. He travels alot for work and averages 33-35 miles per gallon. We have even taken it on family trips through the mountains - although it was not as comfortable for our two teenagers in back, we did fine. Would love to get one for each family member in different colors.

"GLC" - Great Little Car!
By JCairnes on 09/06/05 18:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Folks, I ain't no "Man, this is a cool car" type of guy but a 72 year oldster! I've owned many cars, including a Bug, Rabbit, LeCar plus most recently a Solara. We also have a 2005 RX-8 plus a 2006 F-150 Truck. I would rather drive the xA any time over the others! It's fun, economical and just plain sassy! Buy it - you'll like it!

RS is really sweet
By DrW on 08/30/05 21:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased '05 RS 1.0 #1386 in 12/04. The car is underpowered from 0-20, yet mid-range torque with 5-speed is good enough for highway driving. xA is not a 80+ mph vehicle. However, xA is an Excellent around town errand runner, RS edition makes a fashion statement with 17" wheels and numerous power features (windows, mirrors, moonroof, remote locks & alarm). People do gawk, Flat out cute like the Mini, just not as fast. Build quality definitely originates from Toyota gene pool. After 7500 miles, avg 33 mpg around town. The RS 5-speed is the only way to go with this vehicle, value plus. Do not buy the automatic in this model.

My results
By Miles Morris on 08/28/05 12:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my XA for a couple months now, just went over 5000 miles. I have to say i really like this car alot. I tried premium gas for a bit but it really runs better and gets much better milage with the regular.I drive 75 miles a day for work, got 490 miles in the last tank, that's what i had when i chickened out and bout gas after the little gas tank warning thing came on anyway, probably could have gone to 500 miles. It's mostly back road travel at 45 to 50 mph, it seems to love going that speed. Taking the highway at 65 mph was my first test, engine revved way high, was averaging about 35 mpg, less stop and go even, now i'm around 40 mpg average with more stop and go.

Needs an armrest!
By kevin on 08/23/05 16:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car for 8 months. Great gas mileage, average 36, have gotten as high as 39. I'm 6'1 and have had several back surgeries, so seats are important. I find these to be pretty comfortable with good lumbar support. Overall it is a great little car.

Best decision I ever made
By PatNC on 08/17/05 20:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

All this for a car for around $13,000. I love mine. In mostly city driving I am now getting 23 mpg with the manual. Haven't had it out on all hwy. yet. It's not just the young people buying it. I'm over 45 and was looking for a comfortable, economical car and this was it. After much research, this was by far the best choice.

Fair Purchase
By MDM on 08/16/05 22:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The gas mileage is good but not up to the rating. Acceleration is anorexic, but nothing more than expected for such a small engine - although the manual is better, anybody that tells you it's 'good' is delusional. Despite the performance issues, it's a cute car with only minor issues largely due to some cheaper parts.