2005 Scion xA Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:
Great Local Commuter Car
By Wobblerite on 01/31/06 10:58 AM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle to commute 100 miles each way to work. I chose it because it has good headroom for a 6'2" person. I got the automatic transmission because it seemed too cramped in the foot well for 3 pedals with my size feet. I usually get 33 or 34 mpg while going around 70 mph commuting which is not too far below the EPA estimate of 38 mpg. I was happy with that level of performance. City driving appears to be much lower mileage than advertised. The seats were only complaint I had for long distance driving as there wasn't any lumbar support available.

Great Car
By ITSAXA on 01/15/06 17:37 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Scion xA. I got 260 miles from 8.4 gallons of gas today, that's 30 mpg in CITY driving, and I wasn't realy trying to save. If I had stayed below 2,000 rpm, it would of been better. I have the bazooka tube in the trunk and that adds punch to the great stereo. The motor is smooth and it moves the car very nicely. I have the 5-speed transmission because it was in the car on the dealer lot already. I would normally have bought the automatic (I think its $800) because the car motor is buzzy on the highway (4,000 rpm @ 80 mph). A friends car with the auto goes 3,000 rpm @ 80 mpg and sounds and feels much better at that speed. Other than that, this car scores a bullseye on everything. It comes loaded with stuff for $13,100 and you can add lots of aftermarket stuff. It is a nice car that's not boaring and does everything well.

Most Bang for Your Buck
By kcturbo on 01/04/06 17:07 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a silver 5-speed Scion xA with 16 inch wheels, fog lights, a security system, and tinted windows. It is the best $15,000 that I have ever spent on a car. The fun to drive factor with this car is an A+. I get an average of 30 miles to the gallon mostly driving city miles. I get lots of thumbs up. People really like the looks of the car. The location of the speedo and radio controls took some getting used to, but are OK. I still would rather have a dial control for the volume. Last month we had our first snow storm and I was worried about this little car, but it did GREAT! It has some rattles but Metallica or Shinedown drown them out just fine. If the back windows are down any they rattle a little, which is irritating. Other than that, I have not had any problems with this car. It is a great buy!

Attention Getter - Lots of Compliments.
By Jean on 01/03/06 01:52 AM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car! It is so cute and adorable and I get a lot of compliments. I'm tiny and everyone says it's just the right car for me. It looks small on the outside, but once you're inside it feels like a regular size car. I would recommend it for anyone who wants a fun, economic car to drive. = )

A lot for a Little
By John Klos on 01/02/06 21:20 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Scion xA is the best all around city commuter car going. It gets great mileage with inspired looks. I look forward to keeping my Scion for years. I will continue to purchase the Scion line for as long as it continues to be made. Thanks Toyota - great job on the Scion line of cars.

Car for all ages
By OLD DADDY on 12/11/05 22:01 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

We now have about 8,000 miles on our Scion xa. We purchased it to compliment two other vehicles and to save money on gas. Boy was I wrong. This car does, as advertised, save lots on cost of gas but it is fun to drive. We have three vehicles and the first person out the door in the morning always goes for the Scion. It is a great car, great investment, and a good decision. By the way, I am not a member of Generation X, I am 60+. Thanks Toyota. Geezers like a bargain too.

I'm in love!
By Carol on 11/13/05 16:49 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I lost a 2000 Subaru Outback Sport to inexplicable engine trouble last spring, so I was left with a tiny down payment and a desperate need for a reliable car with superb fuel efficiency. My first choice would have been a Toyota Prius, but my tiny down payment eliminated that option. In hindsight, I am so glad it did...I love this little car! It turns heads as well as it turns corners, which is really saying something! I purposefully park far away from buildings so that I have a longer walk during which to admire its great shape as I return. I get between 35 and 39 mpg, and when curbside parking spaces are tight, I have no trouble -- it's like parking a shoebox, but with a lot more headroom!

Great little car
By AMB - Minnesota on 11/01/05 20:02 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a terrific little car. It gets great gas mileage (I've been averaging 36 mpg in the city) and is lots of fun to drive. It also turns heads; I've been stopped several times by strangers impressed by its looks. And the price is definitely right, particularly with all the standard features. I ordered cruise control (which the dealership arranged to have added through a third-party vendor) and an arm rest; I recommend both. On my first test drive I was concerned that the car might not have enough pickup for easy merging, but this hasn't been a problem. I couldn't be happier.

Wonderful xA
By StarWine on 10/19/05 15:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my 2005 Scion xA for over a year now and am still in love with it. Actually, I love my car so much that I convinced my mom to buy one (exact same color, too) when she totaled her Jeep. This car gets terrific gas mileage, turns heads at every stop light, can zip in and out of traffic like a Mini, and is fun to drive. I always wish for a little more power, but who could really ask for more with this set of features? I put in my own stereo system, but even the standard MP3 setup impressed this stereo snob : ) .

The price of gas
By Rene Dessureau on 10/02/05 08:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Scion xA's gas mileage is about 26 miles per gallon in city driving. Others look with envy when I am at the pump. This car is a lot better then the Volkswagen Beetle that I traded in for it. It only only got 17 miles per gallon.