Used 2005 Scion xA Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion Xa - Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion xA Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Like its name, my grasshopper leaps over the competition
By grasshoppermom

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

He (yes, he's a he) scoots in and out of traffic, passing SUVs like they are standing still, leaps around clumps of snarled traffic by his quick ability to dart in and out of lanes. I named him grasshopper because the neat lines of the hatch remind me of a grasshopper's straight angled back legs. mileage could be a tad better. 25 in town, 33 highway. Packs full and I have helped folks move in this little car. The depth of hatch door opening makes it easy to toss everything into it, including the kitchen sink if need be. I work in real estate and remodelling such, and can fit an eight foot 2x4 and a 12x8 piece of carpet stuck out the window. A great lil' big car. 122,000 mi and counting...

Favorite Features

Dash set-up which I can see without peering over and under the steering wheel. Lots of comfy leg room, he will steer himself but I do keep one finger on the wheel. Crawls through deep snow like a four-by, and in low gear can climb uphill in snow without flinching. Headlights small but bright in high beams. Good hill climbing at highway speeds as he shifts down into passing gear. Run at 75-80 and he likes it over 65 at least. A dear sweet little car and best I have ever owned with the exception of my Tercel SR5 Wagon

Suggested Improvements

Only improvement would be a little brighter low beams, and if the occasional mysterious dash rattle could be figured out. The black upholstery which is standard on the X series might offer a slightly lighter choice as it does show my long hair and the cats too.

Bad egg
By kretek1

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Two wheel bearings out, two bent wheels replaced, stabilizers replaced, brakes and calipers replaced, wheel fitting replaced, all fluids replaced, two batteries dead. It's cost me $1,700 to repair a car worth $4,800. Screw that. It's not worth it. Go with a Honda. It's only been 78,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Stock speakers aren't bad.

Suggested Improvements

The entire car.

Wheel bearing problems
By pvg1

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

171,000 miles. Replaced both front wheel bearings 3X. Rear bearings 1X. Too bad because everything else is original. Out of 6 cars I have owned this one is the first I ever had to replace a wheel bearing. I guess I made up for that with this one. I am looking for a new small car and since I don't want another car with wheel bearing problems I am not even going to look at the 2012 toyota yaris.

My Work Car
By slicklizard

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a courier and this is the car provided to me by my boss. It's a nice car to work with, as it's nimble, quick and easy to park. It's got about 115K miles on it, mostly highway miles and the only thing that's been done to it is tires, brakes and a new alternator (the old one chewed up the belt). It has a nice stereo, cold a/c and hot heat and the seating position is up high (almost minivan-like). I normally put 300-500 miles on the car per day and, besides a tire blowout, it's never let me down. I'd buy this car.

Suggested Improvements

1. The seats get a little tiring on long trips, so better seats would definitely be a plus. 2. No cruise control. 3. No center armrest. 4. I hate the instrument panel being in the center of the dash. It's harder to see than in convential setups. 5. The speedo is in 20 mph increments. Five and ten mph increments are hard to see, thus it's really tough figuring out how fast you're going. 6. No temp guage, just an idiot light. 7. With it being such a short wheelbase car, you feel every bump in the road and it's such a jiggly, bouncy ride. Of course, that's to be expected in such a small, short car.

Fantastic Car
By lvenee

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought 2005 Scion brand new when gas prices started going up. We wanted a disposable car if you will, something cheap, good on gas. What we got is a fantastic car, we have 115 thousand miles on it and have done nothing to the car but replace tires. It's fun to drive, zips in and out of traffic, can park anywhere even if there's not much room. My husband and I are both tall people and it has a lot more space inside than what you might think. I've driven this car a lot on small road trips (under 1000 miles) and just love it. I believe we will get over 200,000 on this vehicle and considering we paid a total of $14,000 including tax, title, license, I think we got a great deal.

Favorite Features

Roomy inside, good power, good gas mileage (depending on how you drive it), I like the hand controls at the wheel for the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything other than they should have kept making the XA.