2005 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:
Fantastic Car
By lvenee on 07/24/11 14:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought 2005 Scion brand new when gas prices started going up. We wanted a disposable car if you will, something cheap, good on gas. What we got is a fantastic car, we have 115 thousand miles on it and have done nothing to the car but replace tires. It's fun to drive, zips in and out of traffic, can park anywhere even if there's not much room. My husband and I are both tall people and it has a lot more space inside than what you might think. I've driven this car a lot on small road trips (under 1000 miles) and just love it. I believe we will get over 200,000 on this vehicle and considering we paid a total of $14,000 including tax, title, license, I think we got a great deal.

Toyota/ Scion xA- Engine Problems
By Brandon on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Scion XA in April 2010 with 118k miles. Based on my research & previous experience with Toyota; I thought I was getting a reliable and fuel economic commuter car. Unfortunately within 5 months and 7k miles later my check engine light came on. My mechanic told me heard a knock in the engine. 2 weeks later the car started to shake and the got very loud. I will never buy a scion again & lost faith in toyota's reliability.

Fantastic Car!
By bruzoo on 11/03/09 16:48 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Scion over 5 years ago. It has been VERY dependable and a lot of fun to drive! Visibility (I'm short) is very good!! My husband has taken it over...:)

never have I loved like this
By olygrrl on 10/19/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car! stylish, fun to drive, great fuel numbers and frankly the best car that I have ever owned. I drove many small and mid sized cars in my 2 year search and fell in love just sitting in this car. Then I drove it and was hooked. Looked for almost a year for right car at right price and am so happy that I finally found her. I will never drive another. This is it for me. WOW!

LOVE
By Ebony's Owner on 09/15/09 17:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 04 VW beetle for this car because I needed a small 4 door car. I've owned Ebony for almost a year now and I love her! So far I've needed 1 new tire, battery and ABS assembly in addition to the regular maintenance. The fuel economy is AMAZING! I love the way she handles, her roomy back door, how easy it is to park and so much more! I only have three complaints 1.No armrest 2.No cruise control 3. She has a weak A/C (in comparison to my beetle), which is hard with the FL summer heat.

Great Car
By B on 08/18/09 05:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this to be a commuter car to and from work 70 miles a day and I have never regretted my decision. This is a great car. I have driven it long distance a couple of times and the ride is comfortable. You will be amazed on how much you can pack in the car 1,2, or none of the seats folded down. I already have put 88K on it, and look forward to the next 88K. I still love how small it is because it's so much easier and fun to weave thru traffic.

New owner
By brooktroutchaser on 07/18/09 09:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 2 weeks ago with 16.5 k miles. The first 2 days the ride was hard; lowered the tire pressure to 29 and it improved. Love sitting up high; I have a bad back and this car sits like a small SUV. Very nimble and a great grocery getter. It is O.K. on the highway for perhaps a half day ride; it isn't a cross country vehicle. In town it is delightful if a bit stiff. It does not like pavement imperfections. I expect to keep it for many years. Everyone says it is cute. Good car for 1-2 people; the back seat is small. Good legroom up front. Easy to park. Oh, I am six feet, 200 pounds, and have gray hair.

Initial Impression
By brooktroutchaser on 07/07/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this almost new car for just a couple of days. It has only 16,500 miles, so it was a peach of a used car purchase. Love the high seats and the hatch. Had I driven it longer on the test drive, I might have had second thoughts; the ride is ultra firm. One feels ever road imperfection and Michigan roads are very poor. This car was marketed to youth, but I'm AARP material. It should be a great grocery getter, but I don't think I'd like to take a long trip due to the harsh ride. Perhaps softer tires would help? I'll report back after I've logged more miles.

Not for long rides
By Balzo on 06/17/09 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got the car brand new in '04 and used it mostly around town with the occasional 200 mile weekend trip. Great value for the money in terms of low purchase price and low operating cost. Power is what one might expect from a 108-hp motor but the 5-spd manual trans made the driving experience a bit more interesting. A 6th gear would be perfect for speeds over 70mph. Ride quality is bouncy on the interstate because of the short wheelbase and firm suspension but it's a blast around corners and when zipping around city traffic. 5 yrs and 50K miles later, I can say it was an overall positive experience. Would I buy a Scion again? Not likely. Just traded it in for a sporty euro sedan last week.

A Keeper
By Miles on 06/13/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great to me. And I am great to it. The Gas cap cover cable went the first year and Toyota had to replace something in the motor under the warranty but other than those two things this car has been worth every cent I paid for it. I thought it was an excellent deal when I bought it too. Got a bunch of nice options for really not much cash extra that really improves the looks and performance. It's good in the snow with the right tires as long as you drive at a safe speed and it will get up and go when I need it to. I love this car man!