Used 2005 Scion xA Consumer Reviews - 213 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Financial Life Saver
By CrazyDogLadySTL

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine brand new with fewer than 5 miles on it. It was so cheap, I was able to pay it off on 2 years so I haven't had a car payment in over 10 years. Purchased in Oct 2004, it's 11.5 years old, and today was the first major repair I've ever needed. The cam shaft timing whatever thingy (I don't know much about cars) needs to be replaced. That's over $1000. They service department said that they are confident that after this repair I can get another 100,000 miles out of it before any additional major repairs are needed. It currently has about 120,000 miles on it. This has been a real life saver financially as I am single, own a home, and don't make a huge salary. I love this car and will drive it for as long as possible.

Takes a liking and keeps on ticking
By Sharon Cash

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car!

Bought this at a salvage auction
By Chris

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from progressive with a little damage. Only had 58k miles and paid 1400 bucks. I replaced both rear wheel bearings (a common problem). This car drives amazing. Its a cheap commuter for me, since I drive over 80 miles each day its perfect. $15 and its full. Car comes standard with power options and its a toyota, so you know you won't have any problems. Almost put 10k miles in a matter of 2 months and its been nothing but great. Do yourself a favor and buy one of these now that gas prices are down and the car has depreciated.

Like its name, my grasshopper leaps over the competition
By grasshoppermom

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

He (yes, he's a he) scoots in and out of traffic, passing SUVs like they are standing still, leaps around clumps of snarled traffic by his quick ability to dart in and out of lanes. I named him grasshopper because the neat lines of the hatch remind me of a grasshopper's straight angled back legs.
mileage could be a tad better. 25 in town, 33 highway. Packs full and I have helped folks move in this little car. The depth of hatch door opening makes it easy to toss everything into it, including the kitchen sink if need be. I work in real estate and remodelling such, and can fit an eight foot 2x4 and a 12x8 piece of carpet stuck out the window. A great lil' big car. 122,000 mi and counting...

Dash set-up which I can see without peering over and under the steering wheel. Lots of comfy leg room, he will steer himself but I do keep one finger on the wheel. Crawls through deep snow like a four-by, and in low gear can climb uphill in snow without flinching. Headlights small but bright in high beams. Good hill climbing at highway speeds as he shifts down into passing gear. Run at 75-80 and he likes it over 65 at least. A dear sweet little car and best I have ever owned with the exception of my Tercel SR5 Wagon

Only improvement would be a little brighter low beams, and if the occasional mysterious dash rattle could be figured out. The black upholstery which is standard on the X series might offer a slightly lighter choice as it does show my long hair and the cats too.

Bad egg
By kretek1

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Two wheel bearings out, two bent wheels replaced, stabilizers replaced, brakes and calipers replaced, wheel fitting replaced, all fluids replaced, two batteries dead.

It's cost me $1,700 to repair a car worth $4,800. Screw that. It's not worth it. Go with a Honda.

It's only been 78,000 miles.

Stock speakers aren't bad.

The entire car.