2005 Scion xA - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:
Like its name, my grasshopper leaps over the competition
By grasshoppermom on 04/05/14 12:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

He (yes, he's a he) scoots in and out of traffic, passing SUVs like they are standing still, leaps around clumps of snarled traffic by his quick ability to dart in and out of lanes. I named him grasshopper because the neat lines of the hatch remind me of a grasshopper's straight angled back legs. mileage could be a tad better. 25 in town, 33 highway. Packs full and I have helped folks move in this little car. The depth of hatch door opening makes it easy to toss everything into it, including the kitchen sink if need be. I work in real estate and remodelling such, and can fit an eight foot 2x4 and a 12x8 piece of carpet stuck out the window. A great lil' big car. 122,000 mi and counting...

Bad egg
By kretek1 on 07/02/13 07:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Two wheel bearings out, two bent wheels replaced, stabilizers replaced, brakes and calipers replaced, wheel fitting replaced, all fluids replaced, two batteries dead. It's cost me $1,700 to repair a car worth $4,800. Screw that. It's not worth it. Go with a Honda. It's only been 78,000 miles.

Wheel bearing problems
By pvg1 on 08/29/12 16:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

171,000 miles. Replaced both front wheel bearings 3X. Rear bearings 1X. Too bad because everything else is original. Out of 6 cars I have owned this one is the first I ever had to replace a wheel bearing. I guess I made up for that with this one. I am looking for a new small car and since I don't want another car with wheel bearing problems I am not even going to look at the 2012 toyota yaris.

My Work Car
By slicklizard on 01/22/12 11:13 AM (PST)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a courier and this is the car provided to me by my boss. It's a nice car to work with, as it's nimble, quick and easy to park. It's got about 115K miles on it, mostly highway miles and the only thing that's been done to it is tires, brakes and a new alternator (the old one chewed up the belt). It has a nice stereo, cold a/c and hot heat and the seating position is up high (almost minivan-like). I normally put 300-500 miles on the car per day and, besides a tire blowout, it's never let me down. I'd buy this car.

Fantastic Car
By lvenee on 07/24/11 14:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought 2005 Scion brand new when gas prices started going up. We wanted a disposable car if you will, something cheap, good on gas. What we got is a fantastic car, we have 115 thousand miles on it and have done nothing to the car but replace tires. It's fun to drive, zips in and out of traffic, can park anywhere even if there's not much room. My husband and I are both tall people and it has a lot more space inside than what you might think. I've driven this car a lot on small road trips (under 1000 miles) and just love it. I believe we will get over 200,000 on this vehicle and considering we paid a total of $14,000 including tax, title, license, I think we got a great deal.

Toyota/ Scion xA- Engine Problems
By Brandon on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2005 Scion XA in April 2010 with 118k miles. Based on my research & previous experience with Toyota; I thought I was getting a reliable and fuel economic commuter car. Unfortunately within 5 months and 7k miles later my check engine light came on. My mechanic told me heard a knock in the engine. 2 weeks later the car started to shake and the got very loud. I will never buy a scion again & lost faith in toyota's reliability.

Grocery Getter
By brooktroutchaser on 08/08/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this used with less than fifteen thousand miles. My search process was long; I wanted a small car that would accommodate my six foot frame and perennial bad back. Most cars sit too low and I did not want an SUV. The XA is too cute for words, is comfortable for any trip of 300 miles or less, and will fit in any parking space. Plus, it is as reliable as anything on the road. It is important to keep the tires properly inflated: 29 psi. Any higher and the ride is too harsh.

123,000 miles later
By peter on 05/06/10 17:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have 123,000 miles and the only problem I had was both front wheel bearing needed replacing. The interior still looks like new. Car rides too harsh and could be quieter. I am confident it will run past the 200,000 mile mark.

It's a Buggy
By robocop on 01/28/10 19:16 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Rides like a buggy, run over a toothpick and you'll feel it. Quick and nimble on dry pavement, terrible in snow. Bought with 32k miles and replaced AC at 38K for $600 and new battery at 40K but it has never left me stranded. It's a local driver that's not meant for the highway. Get about 25 MPG local and I beat the crap out of it and it just keeps going.

Poor design bad quality
By PP on 12/14/09 23:23 PM (PST)

2005 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Pros: Small, sleek, roomy and fuel efficient. Cons: Bad design, poor quality, noise, vibration. -My speedometer broke, to be replaced. -Brakes (disks and pad) to be replaced. -Can not open widows if driving on highway speeds, because bad design makes this vehicle unstable,and it builds excessive pressure in the cabin. -Lots of vibration noises in the cabin wile idling. I bought it thinking of Toyota quality, but overall this vehicle has very poor quality.