2004 Scion xA 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - The Car People SHOULD Want

2004 Scion xA - Consumer Review

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Car People SHOULD Want
By ozlaxr on

2004 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you know what you're getting this car is perfect. It's a simply built car with just the right standard features (except cruise control). If you can live with a high-revving cruise speed ie. 3000 rpm @ 60 mph, 4000 rpm @ 80 mph, then you'll be fine. After 103,000 miles these are my findings: 40,000 mi: New tires: Yokohama Avid TRZs so they'll last longer than the terrible stock tires. 80,000 mi: new brake pads and rotors. 100,000 mi: new front right wheel bearing. So overall, not so bad. I've heard the bearings are a weakness on the car, but one per 100K? I think I can live with that.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability, looks pretty good, no timing belt to worry about. Overall I like almost everything about the car.

Suggested Improvements

The Corolla's 1.8L engine would have been nice, gets great mileage but a slightly bigger motor. A 6-sp transmission would alleviate the highway revs, but drive the price up. Tolerance to run on E-85 (85% ethanol fuel). obvious ones: moonroof, cruise control, etc.