Used 2004 Scion xA Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Scion xA Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

I Liked It Until the Winter
By jonboy

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because my Eclipse decided to break permanently. I wanted a car that was different and got good gas mileage. It fit the bill. It's surprisingly agile and has a great stereo. I truly loved the car until I drove home from work during a small snow storm. I almost ended up sliding over a cliff. This car is terrible in the snow and rain. It is the only car I've ever felt uncomfortable driving in bad weather. Also, the trim in the interior is always making an annoying vibration sound. I'm going to trade it in after I get a good down payment for a Subaru WRX.

The good gas mileage, reliability, how it keeps a lot of it's trade in value for a vehicle in its class.

Add traction control, better build quality for the interior, and arm rest.

Good, but not Great Value
By ed

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Scion xA is a great commuter car, stick with the stock wheels. I got the 17 inch wheels and regret it every time I go over a bump or rough road.

The hatchback is very practical.

It should have more airbags. The car is small and needs every safety feature out there, don't skimp on this. Give it seats like the Honda Element has.

My Sophie Scion
By Vicki

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little car. It is fun, zippy, handles well, and is just plain cute. The price is so perfect for everything the car has. The only surprising thing about the car is the cost of tires for such a small one. I know for the price I cannot complain about the fabric quality on the seats. The stereo system is good and the car actually does have quite a bit of room when you need to load the car down. Being an adult and more experienced driver, and living in a big city, I don't mind the highway driving and it is not intimidating. For my youngest driver, I really hesitate to let her drive the interstates. All in all, I do love the car for what I use it for.

The color changing radio, good stereo system, and the feel of a small car.

Nothing.

Bad Wheel Bearings and Tires
By bosco

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

There is a problem with the xA's tires. The 185/65r 15s that it comes with are hard to find and very costy. Also, its wheel bearing are too light for the car. Toyota had this problem with the Echo as well.

The great engine.

The bumper to bumper warranty should provide full coverage, not just for the drivetrain. Stop calling it bumper to bumper...IT IS NOT

I love it, but...
By KKyle

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving my Scion xA a lot, and I do drive a lot, which is why I bought it. I have had maintenance issues with the car, having to replace the whole air conditioning unit (warranty), brake problems (corrected by dealer), and a worn out serpentine belt already (changed ourselves), all with less than 45,000 miles. I have noticed some shift troubles with the car, most noticibly when it is cold of course, but at other times as well, revving the engine to over 4,000 rpm's in 3rd. Other then that (lol) I love it!

The size of the car and gas mileage of course! I can park her anywhere with ease.

A little more room in the back floorboard for those over 5 feet would be great and maybe better front seats? More adjustable choices would be great!

• SUV