Used 2004 Scion xA Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Scion xA Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Scion xA - Alot of bang for the buck. Mediocre performance.
By rx1

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven and owned several cars in my driving experience. I have had mixed feeling about this car. Pros Comes relatively loaded for the sticker price. Good mpg, 32-ish. Good solid manual transmission. Impressive reliability. Surprisingly roomy. Cons Sluggish response from a buzzy, noisy engine. You have to be willing to rev it hard, and downshift to achieve passing speed. Narrow wheel base, tall stance results in sloppy handling. Light weight and engine position result in unstable handling in snowbelt. Soundproofing is minimal. Long highway rides are noisy and tedious. I bought new. I lasted 4 years and 36k miles before selling.

A ton of standard features. Good resale.

Larger engine, slightly wider wheel base.

First Car..
By Zach

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Umm i've driven more than one car but only owned the XA and i'm very happy with it. I rear ended someone and the grill on the car wasn't stock..? so that cost me about $500 more. The gas pump is weird. When i go to fill up gas the pump kicks off a lot so i have to manual fill my tank most of the time.. annoying but not to inconvenient.

Stereo, Ac, Hatchback, Roomy interior

Kicks off the gas pump all the time and is expensive to fix.

I love this car!
By Michael I.

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am a student who needed a practical, reliable, and economical car to drive. I also wanted something that was fun to drive. Not many cars can encompass all these characteristics effectively. The Scion xA does a great job for being an economy car. It at has been very reliable so far with no major mechanical problems, and I get at least 30 MPG regularly, with the best so far being 35 MPG. It is also very fun to drive, especially witht the five speed. I am a beginner stick shift driver and this car is not only very easy to learn on but also very forgiving. It offers a ton of cargo space if you are willing to fold the rear seats down. It's a Toyota so you can't go wrong with that.

Five speed. Reliability. Practical. Gas mileage (funner than a hybrid). Fun to drive. Great for students. Easy to park. Easy to learn stick. Low sticker price. Comfortable for a subcompact car. Easy to perform DIY maintenance. Unique.

More aftermarket parts (the xB and tC tend to steal the aftermarket scene). Sixth gear for less engine strain on the highway. The turning radius is quite large, I am hesitant to make U- turns sometimes.

Solid Little Car
By ScionDriver

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Scion brand new off the lot and it has been very reliable since then. I have over 103K on the car in just 5 years, but I've only done minor repair to it. It's fuel economy has been dismal, I'm not sure how anyone is getting 38mpg+. But, for the price (around $12,500) it's a bargain and comes standard with many features most cars in the price range do not include.

Toyota Engine = reliable, pretty fun to drive since it's small and can corner turns decently, pretty good stereo that has good bass for a stock system.

Fuel economy is pretty dismal, needs bigger gas tank for longer highway drive, seats are horrible and my back hurts every time I drive it.

Its not the car is the owner
By Elvis.R

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well I have no complaints this car as over 100,000 miles and let me tell you I have only done simple maintenance on my car. This car is really great, stereo is great I even put 18 inch wheels and didn't change any shocks or anything. Its run's like now but will loose a little power after this many mile's. Maybe because I push this car a lot I mean a lot.

Interior, exterior look, stereo,

The stick needs to be smaller so that is easy to change the gear's. The seat is to high, it causes a cramp on my leg often.