2004 Scion xA Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xA model:
Scion xA - Alot of bang for the buck. Mediocre performance.
By rx1 on 04/07/11 20:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven and owned several cars in my driving experience. I have had mixed feeling about this car. Pros Comes relatively loaded for the sticker price. Good mpg, 32-ish. Good solid manual transmission. Impressive reliability. Surprisingly roomy. Cons Sluggish response from a buzzy, noisy engine. You have to be willing to rev it hard, and downshift to achieve passing speed. Narrow wheel base, tall stance results in sloppy handling. Light weight and engine position result in unstable handling in snowbelt. Soundproofing is minimal. Long highway rides are noisy and tedious. I bought new. I lasted 4 years and 36k miles before selling.

First Car..
By Zach on 04/13/10 08:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Umm i've driven more than one car but only owned the XA and i'm very happy with it. I rear ended someone and the grill on the car wasn't stock..? so that cost me about $500 more. The gas pump is weird. When i go to fill up gas the pump kicks off a lot so i have to manual fill my tank most of the time.. annoying but not to inconvenient.

I love this car!
By Michael I. on 08/20/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am a student who needed a practical, reliable, and economical car to drive. I also wanted something that was fun to drive. Not many cars can encompass all these characteristics effectively. The Scion xA does a great job for being an economy car. It at has been very reliable so far with no major mechanical problems, and I get at least 30 MPG regularly, with the best so far being 35 MPG. It is also very fun to drive, especially witht the five speed. I am a beginner stick shift driver and this car is not only very easy to learn on but also very forgiving. It offers a ton of cargo space if you are willing to fold the rear seats down. It's a Toyota so you can't go wrong with that.

Solid Little Car
By ScionDriver on 07/19/09 06:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Scion brand new off the lot and it has been very reliable since then. I have over 103K on the car in just 5 years, but I've only done minor repair to it. It's fuel economy has been dismal, I'm not sure how anyone is getting 38mpg+. But, for the price (around $12,500) it's a bargain and comes standard with many features most cars in the price range do not include.

Its not the car is the owner
By Elvis.R on 01/01/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well I have no complaints this car as over 100,000 miles and let me tell you I have only done simple maintenance on my car. This car is really great, stereo is great I even put 18 inch wheels and didn't change any shocks or anything. Its run's like now but will loose a little power after this many mile's. Maybe because I push this car a lot I mean a lot.

I love my Scion XA
By april on 11/21/08 12:03 PM (PST)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little car. We bought it right off the show room floor. It is the best car I have ever had. I would never give it up.

Scion xA 2004
By Myk on 10/02/08 20:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004 Scion xA (5-spd stick) now has 85,000 miles. Last month I drove it cross-country from CA to NY (via I-80 all the way). I have not had any problem with the car although I once had a flat tire. Great gas mileage and the car is inexpensive compared to any hybrid.

Love this little monster
By marco on 07/23/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am so glad i got this car when i did very economic i get around 36 to 38 miles to the gallon, that is a plus with the pricey gas now days this is a unique small car with lots of room and a nice looking exterior I will buy it again no problem

Love the car, here's why...
By Steven on 07/14/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've read many reviews, about six months worth, on this car, and I finally got one, so I want to make this review worth your read: Gas Mileage: just clocked it out - miles driven (298.8) divided by gas put in at fill-up (10.1) equals a solid 29.8 miles per gallon (I would say this is in mixed driving, but with a dominate city). Interior Room: Not a problem. I'm 6'4", my brothers are 6'6" and 6'8", and a lady friend at 5'7" could all fit in the car with enough comfort for a 25 mile drive, but not enough for a 400 mile drive. Performance: Get the manual transmission. The car handles very well and hugs the road nicely, but, I can really feel all the freeway bumps, but not a big deal. I love it.

they should do a comercial about me
By jy on 05/26/08 09:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a Toyota echo. Put over 200k miles on it with only changing the brakes and exhaust manifold gasket. Wanted a newer car. The xa has the same power train as the echo. So bought it.$11.9k . Same as the echo. Great mileage (I drive 90% highway. At least 38+mpg). I've loaded it up with lumber (strapped qty 16 16' 1x8's on the roof), cement, you name it, I've loaded it. No probs. I consider ti a throw way car so I'm not concerned about the roof or scratching it. That's why I load it to the max when I do my home depot runs. Cant beat it. The only thing I've done on it is new brakes/rotors in the front and exhaust gasket. (90k miles on it at that point)