Commuter Alternative
By calcarnut on
2013 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I finally decided to get economical and go with a commuter. Since my wife and I ride together to work and the kids are grown, we decided on a coupe. Choices were the TC, Honda Civic and Hyundai Veloster. The Civic was comparable in gas mileage but was $3K higher. The Veloster was better in gas mileage by 5 miles/gal and was comparable in price for the base. But the TC had much more power due to its 2.5L 4-cyl. The front passenger seat has so much room it leaves ample space for a rear passenger up to 6' (my wife is 5'6"). In my opinion, it also looked better than the Civic and the Veloster. Our avg. mileage in the city and highway has been 28 mpg.
Favorite Features
2.5L 4-cyl. engine, panoramic sunroof, front passenger legroom, bluetooth connectivity, and free oil changes at our local Toyota dealer.
Suggested Improvements
Scion is the subsidiary motor division to Toyota, like Lexus. But Scion is geared towards aftermarket parts so the vehicles don't come with all the bells and whistles. My trip to the dealer found that fog lights and a cargo cover are extraordinarily expensive and takes 2 to 3 months to come. These parts should be readily available and should match the economical pricing of the vehicle. I found both parts on ebay for half the price.