2011 Scion tC Consumer Review: Its a "Sport-ish" Car

2011 Scion tC - Consumer Review

Its a "Sport-ish" Car
By cowa11ski on

2011 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car used after a leasee returned it to the dealer. My initial impressions of the car were favorable. The seats are supportive and the 6spd is smooth. This achieves exactly what I think Toyota set out to achieve with this car being a "my first sports car" type car. After putting some long highway miles on it there are a number of things that started to creep up on me that wouldn't have been apparent to me in the test drive. The first is the quality of the interior build. The bass from the radio rattles the panels around the window control buttons. I'm not sure I'b a big fan of the vinyl sunroof cover either. The exhaust note may or may not be your thing during a long drive.

The car is very basic all the way around, but I would have to say the suspension is probably my favorite part of this vehicle. Its comfortable enough to eat the bumps on the highway and aggressive enough to have fun on the on and off ramps. I'd also have to give a shout out to the dash and center controls. I'm a fan of spartan interiors and in a world where cars are starting to have more buttons than sense its nice to see just a few knobs and easy to use steering mounted radio controls.

The engine for this care is woefully anemic and is the primary contributor to the "meh" feeling that I get from the rest of the car. Pulling out of toll booths and trying to beat out a tractor trailer isn't as sure a thing as I would prefer. If you are over 6ft tall then you might run into an issue with the low roof line. You may have to avoid pulling all the way up to stop lights for lack of vision. The word of the day however, is horsepower, and this car really needs it.