2011 Scion tC Consumer Review: I own one

2011 Scion tC - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

I own one
By tcelikel on

2011 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Can't stand when people review a car that aren't driving it everyday, so I thought I would add a few comments. Don't buy this car if you are looking for a sports car. It's not. Buy this car if you are looking for a much more attractive looking 2-door Corolla with a tiny bit more juice and a lot of extras. For only a couple thousand dollars more than the Corolla, the decision was easy for me. The only reason I gave it a 4 performance wise is that it seems like Toyota markets the car as 'sporty'. Sporty looking/feeling yes, but not a sports car. For commuters, the performance would easily be a 5. Nothing wrong with it.

Love the steering wheel, even though this is clearly not a sports car, it feels a bit like one. I can understand why purists think its a gimmick, but for someone in the $20,000 price range, looking for a commuter car, everything works great. The car handles great, takes sharp turns easy, feels real solid driving it around town. It has just enough extra juice to pass a car at an intersection or on the freeway, or to merge into traffic. You aren't going to be racing people in this thing. Love the dials and seats. Love how the back seats fold down. Contrary to all the reports about back seat room, there isn't really. Buy a 4 door if you are constantly driving friends/family around.

The interior plastic side door panels seem a bit cheap. They scuff pretty easily. The automatic shifter takes a bit to get used to. The shifter knob is cheap compared to the rest of the interior. Closing the doors take a bit getting used to. They just need a slight touch, anything harder and they make a cheap aluminum rattling noise when slammed. Blind spots are my only legit complaint, the others are miniscule. It's really stressful backing out of a parking spot in a crowded parking lot. You can only really see out of the side mirrors and directly behind the vehicle. Its really hard to tell if someone is waiting for you to back out in the wings. May be that I'm just used to a 4 door.