2009 Scion tC Consumer Review: Fun, but overrated

2009 Scion tC - Consumer Review

Fun, but overrated
By kasyak on

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an eye candy and it is fun to drive, but having owned this car for a year, I have to say, for me it's overrated and overpriced. Although I appreciate the Toyota reputation for reliability, this car needs to offer more for the price tag. There's nothing really sporty about this car, and the 25 MPG that I get now does not impress me. If you are looking for a cute car that is fun to drive and the price is reasonable, and you don't care about the drawbacks I posted, then go for it. It's reliable. If not, you can get more car for the money, if you go with something more traditional. If you are hunting for a sports car, the Scion will not satisfy you (especially with an automatic)

- Toyota reliability - Great looks - 2.4 peppy engine

The cons: - Automatic is a 4-speed (Camrys have a 5-speed with the same engine for the same year line) - Road noise - Averages at 25-26 MPG - Not really a sports car - Very few features (pretty much just basics) - Overall not enough bang for a buck - Weird headlight on/off management (we got stranded a couple of times when my wife exited the passenger door instead of the driver door)