Used 2009 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Great car for the price
By Jakers

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I used to valet so I've driven everything from a Honda Del Sol to a Maserati Quattroporte, and I tried to be as fair as possible when rating the Tc. Here are my pros and cons: I have already logged over 10k miles on my car without a single problem. The back moonroof shade will rattle if you drive on the hgwy w/ the windows down (to be expected) Scion cut costs on the frame, but if you can do that and still score 5 star safety ratings, who wouldn't? my tires' tread is already getting low. I'll be lucky if they last 10K more miles it's not very quick.. at least not with a manual. 1st is done early compared to other light-weight cars interior could use a quality boost

Able to control Ipod with the steering wheel, sound system, sunroof, and I found the suspension to be quite respectable.. I don't rev to the redline, but I do drive like a maniac at times, and it handles rather well

Let's see: more power, better quality, improved gas milage.. but most of these upgrades would result in a higher MSRP. I test-drove the civic SI. it's nasty. but it also STARTS at $5000 more than the Tc. That's a severely basic model. The one I drove was 27k. TC: best for the $

Great Value
By Breimann

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

9000 miles and not a single problem! I like to tinker and working on the car is very easy. Anyway, car rides great, handling could be a little better (came from a Celica) but it still maintains a fun-to-drive factor. Where else can you get such a long list of features for the money?

Easy to work on/do maintenance, reliable, holds value!, interior build quality, projector headlights, fold-flat seats, factory ipod integration/steering wheel controls, front seats fold back, I could go on forever

Infamous sunroof rattle, expensive dealer options, oem tires are junk, A/C could be a little colder but I blame a black dash board and r134a coolant

Awesome Car at Awesome Price
By scchilling74

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost a year and I must say I still love to drive it. I have owned allot of cars over the years and I usually get bored with them after a few months, but not my tC. This car has the necessary power, style and comfort to keep you coming back for more. I really like that Toyota did the first two scheduled maintenance services for free. The car is put together well and offers a spacious sleek design for a coupe. I went from driving a truck to my tC and I haven't missed my truck, aside from the occassional need to haul something big. I got the optional Nav system which was a bit pricey but worth the money.

Sound system with Navigation (Big touch screen)is excellent. Plays DVD's too!! Moon/sun roof is great and I loved the reclining back seats. The optional body kit sets off its sleek design and the Pearl white paint is beautiful. Looks even better with my dark tinted windows..

My biggest disappointment was that the Nav system isn't bluetooth compatible for syncing my cellphone. You would think that the price of that upgrade would include that feature. Gas mileage could be a little better but I have a heavy foot at times so that may be mostly my fault.

09 TC RS
By jromine

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle trading in a Mazda 3. I live in WI so driving a Mazda 3 hatch without ABS was difficult to say the least. This car handles great in the winter. We had a pretty bad winter this year and I had no problems with it's handling. Much better than what I had before. More room in the back then what you'd think for passengers who sit in the rear. Car stayed on track in the snow and when ABS kicked in it stopped. Ipod hookup is awesome in this car, better than a lot of Pioneer aftermarkets out there right now. Car looks great on the outside, I get a lot of stares and comments. Roomy interior, but the build quality could be better.

I love the sound system, well worth the money to upgrade. Love the two moon roofs even though the backseat one doesn't open. Drives nice in the city. AC works great, it gets nice and cold for hot days.

Cost to upgraded features is expensive, XM from dealership is out of this world. Put a trip computer in the car, tell me my MPG, my roommate has a Toyota Carola and his 09 has one. Loud on the highway (interior rattles). MPG could be better in my opinion. Glove box could be bigger (I know I know)

Very Decent
By E.D

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

So this is my first new car I bought. very happy with it. Great for one person. Drive is smooth, and no problems thus far. Good pick up. Basic model features are great. Moonroof/sunroof is awesome,I love it. The only this is that it's a little rattly at times. I put a spoiler on the car, so I just found out I can't put a rack on the back, but that is a minor issue. If you are looking for a small, fun, sporty, nice looky car with a smooth ride, this is perfect for you.

Stereo is great. Smooth drive. Moon/sun roof.

Gas mileage. I have a heavy foot at times so I get 24 mpg. However if the foot isn't so heavy (rare occasion) I get up to 29 mpg. Its a small car, 4 cylinder, i would have thought it would get better gas mileage. Again, I think this is minor.