2009 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:
Great Car
By AJ on 11/11/08 10:51 AM (PST)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just picked the car up today. I love the ride and handling. A truly fun car to drive. I do not have problems with headroom (I am over 6 ft tall). Gas mileage is ok.. Could be slightly better but good nonetheless. I am a bit jaded, coming from a Nissan Versa.

Great Car but
By LJB on 10/21/08 15:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in May. I fell in love with it. But about a week ago it popped out of gear (manual). I have just found out that the synchronizers failed and they are replacing at least 3rd gear in the tranny. After getting the diagnosis I looked it up and apparently this has been a problem on and off since 2005. I am hoping that the fix will resolve the issue permanently and that this isnt an ongoing thing. The dealership is currently repairing the car and have been great but they never mentioned that to me when discussing a manual versus an automatic. Even now they didn't mention it was a known problem. I researched it. Other then this issue, I love this car through and through.

Scion tC 2008 vs 2009
By Chris on 10/18/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

They pretty much look the same but I did notice some slight differences. For one, the seats are darker. When you put the A/C to the coldest position, it says “A/C Max.” If you have a manual transmission, the shifting is a lot easier in the 2009 than the 2008. I think the gears also rev higher in the 2009. Other than that, they are pretty much the same.

Amazing car!
By Megs on 10/14/08 11:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 3 days ago and I LOVE it! I was actually looking at pontiac g5's and Chevy Malibus before being dragged to look at Toyotas by my parents. I didn't really like anything I saw until I saw the Scion. I am not a fan of hatchbacks or small cars at all, but after test driving it and all the features it had just as a stock car I was impressed. It has a lot of torque for such a small car and is so much fun to drive. It doesn't even look like the ugly boxy cars I pictured as Scions.

Not bad
By Breimann on 10/07/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Dollar for dollar this is the most car for the money. Where else for 17k can you get a sun roof, ipod integration, alloy wheels and Toyota reliability? Let us not forget it has a Camry engine too! The fold flat rear seats are awesome too. Digital HVAC controls are nice too, most cars this cheap have lousy dials/knobs. If the "suggested improvements" things I listed are addressed it could possibly be a car with no compromise!

luv it
By luv it on 09/27/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2009 tc. After having my car for a month, the only thing I have found wrong with the car is the seats, the seats stain very easily. After washing my car I opened my moonroof which I love a few water drops landed on the seats staining them making the seat look dirty. The material also picks really easy but other than that the car is great love it

Perfect
By Lauren on 09/23/08 10:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my scion tc as a first car. it is perfect! after going to 8 dealerships i did find haggling. i special ordered it and pretty much got the spoiler and upgraded radio for free. everything on it is great. my friend has one and says the only con is that the tires only last about 15k.

Sexy, fun to drive tC
By decseh on 09/05/08 20:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive. For what you get with this car and the looks you can't beat the price. Plus you get Toyota reliability as a perk. I've only had my car for a month, but overall I am satisfied and impressed. It has many more features than me $32K Jeep did. It's only a few more dollars a month, it's brand new, and gets me a lot better gas mileage. I am very glad I looked this way. I drove a Corolla, Civic, and a few other competitors and none really compared to this car. I suggest you drive one. My other car is an automatic, and I didn't like the tC when I drove it in an auto even though it was peppy, the manual won me over. Scion dealers are easy to work with too.

Best under-$20k car, and it's sexy too
By TC driver on 08/26/08 07:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Yeah so it's made for people younger than me (51) but I love my TC. The drive, comfort and handling impressed me from day one. Plenty of pickup, great visibility, a pleasure to drive. Plus the TC is a great value $$$. 160-watt stereo has too much bass for my tastes but it has great iPod interfacing. Logical interior layout. The moonroof is terrific. Good gas economy. Roomier on the inside than it looks from the outside. Large cargo space with back seats folded down. I get lots of compliments on how my silver TC looks. It's a sleek & sexy car. All the other Scions look clunky to me but the TC stands out. I don't think there's a better new car for under $20k out there.

Sleek, sexy, sporty and affordable !
By Jim on 08/14/08 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had my 09 tC for two months - adore it! Superb performance and handling. Response is crisp and solid. Rides low to the ground. No problems with build quality or function. Great cruise control. No acceleration delay, very quick off the line and smooth pickup. The premium 160 watt stereo is incredibly loud - too much bass at times but terrific iPod control. Love the panoramic moonroof. My only complaints are that the gauges are hard to read in daylight, esp the speedometer. Don't like the orange gauge lights - wish they could change to blue like the stereo can. I'm 6' tall and the back seat is very cramped but I never sit there anyway! Doors are a little long. Great value for the price.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Scion tC in VA is:

$150 per month*