2009 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:
Would buy again, oh wait I did.
By serith on 01/08/13 13:15 PM (PST)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned both a 2006 Scion tC 5-speed, and now currently a 2009 Scion tC 5-speed Release Series 5 TRD model. The 2009 is more refined than its 2006 predecessor. If your're looking for a well rounded, budget-friendly coupe, look no further. However, I can not say the same about the current 2nd generation tC--they are entirely different animals. Pros: - fun to drive - peppy/quick (not fast by any means) - respectable fuel economy (could be better) - relatively small - toyota reliability - aesthetically pleasing - fantastic crash safety rating Cons: - "Boy Racer" stigma. - Top 10 "most expensive to insure" - 160hp from 2.4L is lazy engineering. - Short final drive ratio (hurts mpg)

Love and HATE Relationship
By kcady on 01/15/11 15:31 PM (PST)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my tC Brand new in 2009! I loved it for awhile, I love the look of my car and its great on gas other then that I was dissappointed! I lose control of my car in the wind! getting around in the snow is a joke! Went through the stock tires around 12k, the air conditioner sucks, anyone over 6 foot will be cramped in your car, my car is always in the shop for something! very basic..... I was in a car accident, I was very surprise how good it held up. The other car was totalled, while mine needed just a big dent repair! I would advise someone to really consider your options and rule Scion out!

Good all around car
By Bootlyus on 06/13/10 06:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All around a good car. If you are all about TOKYO DRIFTU then this is not the car for you. I think this car has a bad reputation in some circles because there are too many Tc owners that think this is a sports car. It's not. Test drove an auto but bought the manual for price reasons. Auto was a little slow to shift but other than that it was fine. The car handling is excellent, it feels like you are driving the car not the other way around. A lot of the electronic assist stuff Toyota loves to put in their cars now is pleasantly absent in the TC give you the feeling of having more control over your driving experience. Fuel economy, torque and HP is what you would expect from a 2.4 L 4 cylinder.

wow
By lilj89 on 09/29/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very impressed with the tc I love the sound system and how quick it accelerates when you downshift I love the sunroof and the reclining back seats (even though I'm never in the back LOL) on thing I was a little disappointed on was the fuel economy for a 4 cylinder the fuel economy was not what I expected but all in all it is a great car. Plan to start modding it soon and there is so many things you can buy its amazing scion did real good on the tc

2009 Scion Tc (Waveline Pearl)
By whatisbam on 09/15/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tc on a complete whim! Actually paid for it before I even placed hands on it. I drove 3 hours to pick it up and what I found upon arrival was nothing short of what I expected. Beauty is in its simplicity and somewhere in its simplicity is a hidden power that I do love. It's sporty, with a back seat! Everything this 22 year-old single father will ever need. Kudos to Scion!

Great car for the price
By Jakers on 07/28/09 13:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I used to valet so I've driven everything from a Honda Del Sol to a Maserati Quattroporte, and I tried to be as fair as possible when rating the Tc. Here are my pros and cons: I have already logged over 10k miles on my car without a single problem. The back moonroof shade will rattle if you drive on the hgwy w/ the windows down (to be expected) Scion cut costs on the frame, but if you can do that and still score 5 star safety ratings, who wouldn't? my tires' tread is already getting low. I'll be lucky if they last 10K more miles it's not very quick.. at least not with a manual. 1st is done early compared to other light-weight cars interior could use a quality boost

Great Value
By Breimann on 05/06/09 14:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

9000 miles and not a single problem! I like to tinker and working on the car is very easy. Anyway, car rides great, handling could be a little better (came from a Celica) but it still maintains a fun-to-drive factor. Where else can you get such a long list of features for the money?

"Think TWICE"
By *LiLLiSSa* on 03/23/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First of off, this car is one of the best looking car out there. Driving experience, the shifter is kind of high and the armrest usually hits my elbow;shifting, "biggest complaint". The gauges could been a little bigger. The suspension is horrible! Other than that it is a pretty smooth and quiet car, plenty of torque. I would think that Toyota could have done more with the 09 model. Basically if you really want experience your tC, you would defenitely need TRD upgrades. The tc is really not up there with the civic SI or cobalt SS. Just because it is a coupe doesn't mean it is a sport car in my opinion. It's an OKAY car but I highly reccomend the Civic SI; Have you sat in an SI's seat? DO IT!!

Fun to Drive
By Kevin on 02/27/09 13:01 PM (PST)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I debated for quite some time which car to look at and chose this one simply because it comes with some awesome standard features for a very reasonable price. I love driving this car, I test drove the automatic but ended up getting the manual and I am glad I did. Even though it is a compact car, there's plenty of room up front. The car looks wonderful, inside and out, even considering I don't like the other Scion models.

Amazing I'm so happy
By Danny on 01/21/09 14:33 PM (PST)

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I drove many car before the tc and it was by far the best. Mazda3, civic, protege, neon, etc this is by far the best car I have had. Car is cool, looks good, many many options of mods and wheels just many many ways to make it better and faster. I got the car a month ago and I love it. 5 speed engine intake hks exhaust 10,000k hids yellow jdm fogs 2 12 subs 2000 Watt amp lowered it on tein coilovers and upper sway bar. The moonrof is amazing I live in Florida and its the best choice for this place! If you are looking for a car and you're Young or older but want a fun and sporty car search no more you have found it!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Scion tC in VA is:

$150 per month*