Used 2009 Scion tC Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Would buy again, oh wait I did.
By serith

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned both a 2006 Scion tC 5-speed, and now currently a 2009 Scion tC 5-speed Release Series 5 TRD model. The 2009 is more refined than its 2006 predecessor. If your're looking for a well rounded, budget-friendly coupe, look no further. However, I can not say the same about the current 2nd generation tC--they are entirely different animals. Pros: - fun to drive - peppy/quick (not fast by any means) - respectable fuel economy (could be better) - relatively small - toyota reliability - aesthetically pleasing - fantastic crash safety rating Cons: - "Boy Racer" stigma. - Top 10 "most expensive to insure" - 160hp from 2.4L is lazy engineering. - Short final drive ratio (hurts mpg)

Love and HATE Relationship
By kcady

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my tC Brand new in 2009! I loved it for awhile, I love the look of my car and its great on gas other then that I was dissappointed! I lose control of my car in the wind! getting around in the snow is a joke! Went through the stock tires around 12k, the air conditioner sucks, anyone over 6 foot will be cramped in your car, my car is always in the shop for something! very basic..... I was in a car accident, I was very surprise how good it held up. The other car was totalled, while mine needed just a big dent repair! I would advise someone to really consider your options and rule Scion out!

Headlights, ipod hook-up is amazing! sun/moon roof, the reclining back seats

Lots!

Good all around car
By Bootlyus

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All around a good car. If you are all about TOKYO DRIFTU then this is not the car for you. I think this car has a bad reputation in some circles because there are too many Tc owners that think this is a sports car. It's not. Test drove an auto but bought the manual for price reasons. Auto was a little slow to shift but other than that it was fine. The car handling is excellent, it feels like you are driving the car not the other way around. A lot of the electronic assist stuff Toyota loves to put in their cars now is pleasantly absent in the TC give you the feeling of having more control over your driving experience. Fuel economy, torque and HP is what you would expect from a 2.4 L 4 cylinder.

Handling, loads of standard features, surprising leg room (6'2" and I fit just fine), fit and finish is better than many other cars in this price range. One of the few cheap, reliable cars out there that doesn't look or handle like garbage.

A/C is mediocre at best. Tires are junk. Expect to either A) get a new pair right off the bat or B) go off the road at least once during a rain/snow storm. After the first 5K on the OEMs I can break the car loose just by thinking about hitting the gas hard.

wow
By lilj89

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very impressed with the tc I love the sound system and how quick it accelerates when you downshift I love the sunroof and the reclining back seats (even though I'm never in the back LOL) on thing I was a little disappointed on was the fuel economy for a 4 cylinder the fuel economy was not what I expected but all in all it is a great car. Plan to start modding it soon and there is so many things you can buy its amazing scion did real good on the tc

2009 Scion Tc (Waveline Pearl)
By whatisbam

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tc on a complete whim! Actually paid for it before I even placed hands on it. I drove 3 hours to pick it up and what I found upon arrival was nothing short of what I expected. Beauty is in its simplicity and somewhere in its simplicity is a hidden power that I do love. It's sporty, with a back seat! Everything this 22 year-old single father will ever need. Kudos to Scion!

Hatch, but without looking like a hatch! I can fit my guitar, some small luggage in the hatch, my kid in his carseat in the back and still turn heads on the street.

I had to get a manual so there is a few things that aren't as smooth as they should be between the clutch and transmission, mainly noise but I'm lookin into a quickshifter so maybe that will resolve my problem.