2009 Scion tC Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

2009 tC Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Gas Mileage
By csigrrl47

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2009 TC in 2008, brand new, I have had my first set of break put on last year 2014, I'm on my second battery only, the first set of tires that came on it were awful, they didn't align the car right so I chewed up them in less than 30,000 miles, but bridgestone on lasted 60,000 miles plus, have my third set of tires on them they are continentals great tire, the only problem I have is in the last two years my engine light comes on and its because the gas gap is bad I have replaced it twice, for some reason it lets air in or something because I pulls a code from my mechanic easy fix, but annoying. Gets me about 33-34 mpg if I don't run it hard. Rattling starting. Very trusted car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, MP3 player bucket seats hatchback

Suggested Improvements

Better tires when you buy it low profile is not the way to go, they all should come with fog lights, yellow parking lights one burned out after a year, rattles in the back now after 6 years, gas cap not closing properly,

Fun, but overrated
By kasyak

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an eye candy and it is fun to drive, but having owned this car for a year, I have to say, for me it's overrated and overpriced. Although I appreciate the Toyota reputation for reliability, this car needs to offer more for the price tag. There's nothing really sporty about this car, and the 25 MPG that I get now does not impress me. If you are looking for a cute car that is fun to drive and the price is reasonable, and you don't care about the drawbacks I posted, then go for it. It's reliable. If not, you can get more car for the money, if you go with something more traditional. If you are hunting for a sports car, the Scion will not satisfy you (especially with an automatic)

Favorite Features

- Toyota reliability - Great looks - 2.4 peppy engine

Suggested Improvements

The cons: - Automatic is a 4-speed (Camrys have a 5-speed with the same engine for the same year line) - Road noise - Averages at 25-26 MPG - Not really a sports car - Very few features (pretty much just basics) - Overall not enough bang for a buck - Weird headlight on/off management (we got stranded a couple of times when my wife exited the passenger door instead of the driver door)

First Car
By reyest

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 09 Scion TC was my first car i bought. I had always liked them so i figure why not get one. I believe i was too anxious when buying this car and didn't look at more options. I love my car but just wish it was less quiet. Seems like when your on the highway it's just really loud. It's a really fun car to drive and picks up speed pretty quick. I guess the only thing that bothers me is that it's just loud on the hwy so if could change anything it would be that. Other than that overall an amazing car. My next car will defiantly be a larger Vehicle possibly a 4dr or a truck. Also not bad on gas as well.

Favorite Features

Stock rims,body style,

Would buy again, oh wait I did.
By serith

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned both a 2006 Scion tC 5-speed, and now currently a 2009 Scion tC 5-speed Release Series 5 TRD model. The 2009 is more refined than its 2006 predecessor. If your're looking for a well rounded, budget-friendly coupe, look no further. However, I can not say the same about the current 2nd generation tC--they are entirely different animals. Pros: - fun to drive - peppy/quick (not fast by any means) - respectable fuel economy (could be better) - relatively small - toyota reliability - aesthetically pleasing - fantastic crash safety rating Cons: - "Boy Racer" stigma. - Top 10 "most expensive to insure" - 160hp from 2.4L is lazy engineering. - Short final drive ratio (hurts mpg)

Love and HATE Relationship
By kcady

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my tC Brand new in 2009! I loved it for awhile, I love the look of my car and its great on gas other then that I was dissappointed! I lose control of my car in the wind! getting around in the snow is a joke! Went through the stock tires around 12k, the air conditioner sucks, anyone over 6 foot will be cramped in your car, my car is always in the shop for something! very basic..... I was in a car accident, I was very surprise how good it held up. The other car was totalled, while mine needed just a big dent repair! I would advise someone to really consider your options and rule Scion out!

Favorite Features

Headlights, ipod hook-up is amazing! sun/moon roof, the reclining back seats

Suggested Improvements

Lots!

Great Car!
By Inga

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have been so happy with this car. My son was in an accident and was hit on the driver side door and the airbags deployed and he walked away and played hockey that night. The car had $13,000 of damage but is as good as new now. The car has really great pick up and is so peppy and reliable and comfort. I love driving it.

Favorite Features

Great pick up. Love the Ipod connector.

Good all around car
By Bootlyus

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All around a good car. If you are all about TOKYO DRIFTU then this is not the car for you. I think this car has a bad reputation in some circles because there are too many Tc owners that think this is a sports car. It's not. Test drove an auto but bought the manual for price reasons. Auto was a little slow to shift but other than that it was fine. The car handling is excellent, it feels like you are driving the car not the other way around. A lot of the electronic assist stuff Toyota loves to put in their cars now is pleasantly absent in the TC give you the feeling of having more control over your driving experience. Fuel economy, torque and HP is what you would expect from a 2.4 L 4 cylinder.

Favorite Features

Handling, loads of standard features, surprising leg room (6'2" and I fit just fine), fit and finish is better than many other cars in this price range. One of the few cheap, reliable cars out there that doesn't look or handle like garbage.

Suggested Improvements

A/C is mediocre at best. Tires are junk. Expect to either A) get a new pair right off the bat or B) go off the road at least once during a rain/snow storm. After the first 5K on the OEMs I can break the car loose just by thinking about hitting the gas hard.

wow
By lilj89

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very impressed with the tc I love the sound system and how quick it accelerates when you downshift I love the sunroof and the reclining back seats (even though I'm never in the back LOL) on thing I was a little disappointed on was the fuel economy for a 4 cylinder the fuel economy was not what I expected but all in all it is a great car. Plan to start modding it soon and there is so many things you can buy its amazing scion did real good on the tc

2009 Scion Tc (Waveline Pearl)
By whatisbam

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tc on a complete whim! Actually paid for it before I even placed hands on it. I drove 3 hours to pick it up and what I found upon arrival was nothing short of what I expected. Beauty is in its simplicity and somewhere in its simplicity is a hidden power that I do love. It's sporty, with a back seat! Everything this 22 year-old single father will ever need. Kudos to Scion!

Favorite Features

Hatch, but without looking like a hatch! I can fit my guitar, some small luggage in the hatch, my kid in his carseat in the back and still turn heads on the street.

Suggested Improvements

I had to get a manual so there is a few things that aren't as smooth as they should be between the clutch and transmission, mainly noise but I'm lookin into a quickshifter so maybe that will resolve my problem.

Great car for the price
By Jakers

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I used to valet so I've driven everything from a Honda Del Sol to a Maserati Quattroporte, and I tried to be as fair as possible when rating the Tc. Here are my pros and cons: I have already logged over 10k miles on my car without a single problem. The back moonroof shade will rattle if you drive on the hgwy w/ the windows down (to be expected) Scion cut costs on the frame, but if you can do that and still score 5 star safety ratings, who wouldn't? my tires' tread is already getting low. I'll be lucky if they last 10K more miles it's not very quick.. at least not with a manual. 1st is done early compared to other light-weight cars interior could use a quality boost

Favorite Features

Able to control Ipod with the steering wheel, sound system, sunroof, and I found the suspension to be quite respectable.. I don't rev to the redline, but I do drive like a maniac at times, and it handles rather well

Suggested Improvements

Let's see: more power, better quality, improved gas milage.. but most of these upgrades would result in a higher MSRP. I test-drove the civic SI. it's nasty. but it also STARTS at $5000 more than the Tc. That's a severely basic model. The one I drove was 27k. TC: best for the $