Used 2009 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

2009 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

My first ever car purchase..& I would do it again!
By Caitlin Martin

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 Scion tC used in 2013 with about 60k miles on it. Since owning it and now at over 124k miles I have never had to put any money to it besides your typical maintenance; oil changes, wipers, new tires! It literally is like indestructible, it has never given me issues. Even in the snow, I live in northern New Jersey and with just my typical all weather tires, I can get through the snow pretty well with taking my time. This honestly is the best car a young person can buy, I certainly got my moneys worth from it. The only thing I can complain about is the acceleration. It has the sporty look to it but drives more like an economy car, so its a little deceiving. Gas mileage is pretty good. But all in all, a great overall vehicle, VERY RELIABLE! It will be a sad day when I have to let her go to get into something a little bigger, but until that day comes I enjoy having the pleasure to have an awesome car that will do me good in the meantime.

Great Gas Mileage
By csigrrl47

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2009 TC in 2008, brand new, I have had my first set of break put on last year 2014, I'm on my second battery only, the first set of tires that came on it were awful, they didn't align the car right so I chewed up them in less than 30,000 miles, but bridgestone on lasted 60,000 miles plus, have my third set of tires on them they are continentals great tire, the only problem I have is in the last two years my engine light comes on and its because the gas gap is bad I have replaced it twice, for some reason it lets air in or something because I pulls a code from my mechanic easy fix, but annoying. Gets me about 33-34 mpg if I don't run it hard. Rattling starting. Very trusted car.

Sunroof, MP3 player bucket seats hatchback

Better tires when you buy it low profile is not the way to go, they all should come with fog lights, yellow parking lights one burned out after a year, rattles in the back now after 6 years, gas cap not closing properly,

Fun, but overrated
By kasyak

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an eye candy and it is fun to drive, but having owned this car for a year, I have to say, for me it's overrated and overpriced. Although I appreciate the Toyota reputation for reliability, this car needs to offer more for the price tag. There's nothing really sporty about this car, and the 25 MPG that I get now does not impress me. If you are looking for a cute car that is fun to drive and the price is reasonable, and you don't care about the drawbacks I posted, then go for it. It's reliable. If not, you can get more car for the money, if you go with something more traditional. If you are hunting for a sports car, the Scion will not satisfy you (especially with an automatic)

- Toyota reliability - Great looks - 2.4 peppy engine

The cons: - Automatic is a 4-speed (Camrys have a 5-speed with the same engine for the same year line) - Road noise - Averages at 25-26 MPG - Not really a sports car - Very few features (pretty much just basics) - Overall not enough bang for a buck - Weird headlight on/off management (we got stranded a couple of times when my wife exited the passenger door instead of the driver door)

First Car
By reyest

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 09 Scion TC was my first car i bought. I had always liked them so i figure why not get one. I believe i was too anxious when buying this car and didn't look at more options. I love my car but just wish it was less quiet. Seems like when your on the highway it's just really loud. It's a really fun car to drive and picks up speed pretty quick. I guess the only thing that bothers me is that it's just loud on the hwy so if could change anything it would be that. Other than that overall an amazing car. My next car will defiantly be a larger Vehicle possibly a 4dr or a truck. Also not bad on gas as well.

Stock rims,body style,

Would buy again, oh wait I did.
By serith

2009 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned both a 2006 Scion tC 5-speed, and now currently a 2009 Scion tC 5-speed Release Series 5 TRD model.
The 2009 is more refined than its 2006 predecessor.
If your're looking for a well rounded, budget-friendly coupe, look no further.
However, I can not say the same about the current 2nd generation tC--they are entirely different animals.

Pros:
- fun to drive
- peppy/quick (not fast by any means)
- respectable fuel economy (could be better)
- relatively small
- toyota reliability
- aesthetically pleasing
- fantastic crash safety rating

Cons:
- "Boy Racer" stigma.
- Top 10 "most expensive to insure"
- 160hp from 2.4L is lazy engineering.
- Short final drive ratio (hurts mpg)