Used 2008 Scion tC Base Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Not My First Choice But the Better Choice!
By B Hudson

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In March 2016, I purchased a damn 2008 Scion tC w/5 speed manual transmission. I do not think highly of the dealership I purchased it from but the car has been a great decision so far. I was not comfortable making yet another purchase on a car over 100k miles. The vehicle had 122k when I purchased it and now it is at 128k. I am surprised the car is in almost flawless condition. The body is in mostly good shape. I can tell the previous owner was not the best driver based on a few dings around the body. The rear bumper clear coat is completely gone. I am estimating that I will have to repaint the rear bumper. The car has been in Florida its entire life and I can tell the vehicle has never been waxed...ever. Dangerous never to wax here. I know Toyota and Honda have questionable paint qualities but waxing it once in a while will help! Since I have owned the vehicle I have flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat (no leaking, no overheating), two oil changes, new tires, new brakes and rotors, throttle cleaning. I plan on replacing the spark plugs soon. The only major mechanical issue with the car occurred a few weeks ago after I performed my brake change. The vehicle lost all oil. After running a check, the oil valve cover casket went out. It does not appear to be a common problem based on what I am told but it does happen. I am estimating I does am right at 30 miles per gallon on fuel, higher than EPA Estimates. I am not thrilled with the acceleration of the vehicle but it gets the job done. The manual transmission is easy to operate, mostly smooth shifting. Because of the electronic throttles they use in cars now, there is a slight lag on second gear, be prepared for it if you leave the car off for hours and start driving. The sound system is great, I wish the car had Satillite Radio which may end up installing myself. Except for the basic maintenance I just mentioned, the vehicle has required little maintenance! I would recommend using HID headlights instead of the factory headlights. The factory lights have a limited range. Expect to fill up with $30. Do not expect a racing machine from the tC but it is a fun car to drive, comfortable, not cramped for a two door. I would never bother driving the 4 speed automatic version of this car as it would be boring and full of problems. Stick with the manual, be gentle on it and it will be reliable for a long time.

Great Car
By A.M.

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used with 17k miles on it in February of 2010. It now has close to 40k and has been great! Excellent performance for a 4 cylinder engine. The car actually has some torque so its not necessary to downshift every time you come across a hill. The transmission is a little clunky, and it would be nice to have a 6th gear for extended periods on the highway, but its not enough to take away from the car. Stock tires were junk, but still had a little tread left @ 35k. Good sound system for a factory stereo, and its nice that its ipod compatible. Overall its been a great car!!

Radio, fun to drive, looks good, super easy to maintain/work on.

The stock tires could be better, paint isn't the most durable in the world. Other than that nothing!

Scion Tc's need rear windshield wiper
By Steve

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car..Nothing but routine maintenance for my Tc. No problems what so ever after 2 1/2 years of ownership. Will probably buy a new battery for her. The only thing that scion forgot to put on these cars was a rear window wiper/sprayer assembly. Other than that, ,everything has been great. I would not mind having a 6th gear on this manual transmission. And scion, ,please put a short throw shifter in during assembly, ,with a shorter height to shift lever also. No need for a truck like shifter in a sporty car as the tc. That is why I lowered mine. Great car and will buy again when that time comes.

ALL

Rear window wiper/washer assembly or an aftermarket one if a company would make one for it, I would and a lot of others would purchase one.

Great bang for the buck
By Mouse

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 is the second brand new Scion tC that I have purchased. It is a well built vehicle with the Toyota quality. After almost 100,000 trouble free miles on my first one I decided to purchase another brand new one. The 2008 tC was planned to be a performance modified race & show car, of which it is now. Being a mechanic the tC has been one of the easiest vehicles I have ever worked on and maintained. I have seen countless testimonies of owners getting 100-200K and higher miles on the tC with virtually no issues outside of normal maintenance. While no vehicle is perfect, I definitely would say that you get a lot of car and quality for the price.

engine bay layout, upgraded factory Pioneer system with underfloor sub-woofer, interior room I'm 6 foot and have plenty of leg room.

not many on my list, but a rear wiper system for the large rear hatch window would be nice, and better quality in the exterior paint. It does tend to chip more easily than I think it should.

My baby
By Misshapp

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car. It is fun to drive, great gas mileage and a real head turner. I am an empty nester and this car reminds me of all the fun I used to have driving. I am always up for a road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have GPS a back-up camera and a sub woffer. You decide.