2008 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:
Well-balanced car for the price
By sushi714 on 09/05/14 18:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Scion tC brand new in December of 2007 and still feel pretty satisfied with it! I'm not sure if there was a better deal out there when I purchased this vehicle, but it provided the best balance between price, style, performance, and reliability (knowing that it came from the Toyota family of brands). Still in great condition, so haven't had to do anything except the usual maintenence as suggested by Scion. Prefer ANT10 series (2009 and previous years) due to change to a more "boring" interior with the AGT20 (2010 - current) series.

Great value for your money - looking for a first car?
By iron112 on 08/12/13 07:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC Spec 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The TC was my first car. The TC offers outstanding value for the price. You'd end up paying 3-4k more in other cars for the same features that are present in the TC - all with Toyota reliability. This car is more about a balance of features rather than pure muscle. Despite it's modest engine, it handles well. As a bonus, the TC was made for modders. If you're a modding junkie, and have the money, the TC is your car. Drawbacks - its underpowered - it has a Camry engine. It's peppy in the lower RPM's, but doesnt have true muscle. Its rear door is a pain. The gas mileage is somewhat lacking for a 4 cylinder. But if you can look past these negatives, then the TC is for you.

Cheaply Made
By ken117 on 05/20/13 03:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had a 2008 Scion TC for a bit longer than five years. While not the worst vehicle I have owned, that would be a Dodge, after five years the overall cheapness of the vehicle was starting to show. For example, the rear hatch latch simply broke one day. Another, the paint is so thin and soft it scratches at every opportunity. To be honest, I was happy to be rid of the TC.

2008 scion tc
By cocacolagrl on 11/05/11 16:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2008 scion tc is a great car. I have owned it since January 2011 and i bought it with 19000 miles. now almost a year later it has over 30,000. I love to drive it. I bought this car after owning a 1992 toyota camry for 5 years, so this was quite an upgrade for me. It has only been in the dealership for oil changes and a battery change. The only person who doesnt seem to like it is my father. He is tall and he cant really get very comfortable in the front seat. my scion is the azure pearl color which turns alot of heads. its not as sporty looking as some other cars but its good enough for me! the only thing i dont like is the paint is very prone to chipping..

Last toyota i'll buy
By last_toyota on 10/20/11 10:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

car had a recall for gas cap 2nd month. Tires are only good on paved roads in the dry and started to separate by 20k. got stuck in the middle of the street with 1/2 an inch of snow. throttle has a delay and a couple times a mind of its own. Finally, at 30k I struck a section of bad rural road and supposedly bent 2 wheels and caused the side curtain airbag to go off, which will cost over $5000 to fix which Toyota will not cover.I had just got new tires the week before and the car doesn't shake or show any external damage. If you live in rural America, don't waste your$. I did file a claim with the NHTSA.

Excellent Car
By bradox1984 on 07/26/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is an absolute great value for what you are getting. For being priced as economically as it is, the vehicle's standard features are great. The standard sound system in the vehicle is particularly high quality. I have had no issues on the repair/maintenance side, a feature for which I was aiming at with this car being manufactured by Toyota. I get absolutely great gas mileage in the car, and even though it is a V-4 engine it does pack a nice punch for a small car.

Oil problems at 47000 miles
By acguy2 on 05/21/11 13:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have completly enjoyed my TC, looks great, fun to drive. Bought it new in july of '07. At 4700 miles I noticed the oil light came on. Checked the oil, found it wasn't even touching the stick, but it was time for my warranty oil change and took it in. Told them what was going on. I was told to drive it for half of the normal oil change period and bring it back. It ran out before that time. I took it in, they kept it for about 3 weeks. Said it was the valve stem seals and replaced them. Picked it up ater repair now the car sounds like a little hot rod, and vibrates, took it back, the machines the head, picked it up still sounds like a hot rod, no vibration, took it back, installed new motor.

Great Car
By A.M. on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used with 17k miles on it in February of 2010. It now has close to 40k and has been great! Excellent performance for a 4 cylinder engine. The car actually has some torque so its not necessary to downshift every time you come across a hill. The transmission is a little clunky, and it would be nice to have a 6th gear for extended periods on the highway, but its not enough to take away from the car. Stock tires were junk, but still had a little tread left @ 35k. Good sound system for a factory stereo, and its nice that its ipod compatible. Overall its been a great car!!

I Love my car
By Deanna on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm so happy i bought this car. Its so much fun to drive gotta watch my heavy foot. The car has spunk. The look is stylish but the paint seemed to fade after a few months! My sharp black turned dull. It had a sparkle to start that not so much anymore. Even the dealer told me right off the bat which was much appreciated that the tires will need to be changed ASAP. I was sliding when it was a light rain!

Good Value
By Ken on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned this vehicle for about 2.5 years, with 22K miles. So far no repair issues. Vehicle is essentially used by my daughter, who is off to college in January. Only complaints are paint does not resist scratches very well and stock tires are simply crap. I guess this is the real cost of having this vehicle being priced quite low in comparison to other similar vehicles. I do question why a manufacturer would put tires with a tread wear rating of only 160 on a vehicle, the cost of adding better tires would only increase the cost of the vehicle by a couple of $100! The stock tires were Yokohamas - I made sure the replacement tires were not!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.