2007 Scion tC Consumer Review: Not Much Fun

2007 Scion tC - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Not Much Fun
By Dan on

2007 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really want to like this car, but I can't help feeling I made a horrible decision here. There's nothing actually WRONG with this car, it's just that after a few months driving it, I've realized that I've just bought a pretty standard economy car, the number one issue being that it's no fun to drive at all. It has good power for such a cheap car, but unfortunately it's suspension is way too soft, it leans too much in corners, and it's isolated from the road like a sedan, instead of a sports coupe. I like to hear some noise and feel some bumps, and I like hard solid suspension so I feel confident in corners. Put the Mazda3's suspension on this car and it'd be perfect for the price.

There is a really nice shine in the bodywork, it's still nice after six months. The short-shifter add-on that I chose isn't bad. It has a nice enough interior (the main thing that makes you forget the car's price). The MP3 stereo is nice - but pretty much standard in all similar cars now anyway. It has very nice standard 17" wheels and tires.

Give it more power (GM is getting almost 180hp from a 2.4L now). It should also have a harder suspension and less body-roll. The clutch feel needs improvement. The accelerator pedal has annoying dead spot that desperately needs fixing. Make the car fun to drive! Looking at the rest of the current Toyota range I should have known better