2007 Scion tC Consumer Review: This is a sporty looking car o

2007 Scion tC - Consumer Review

2007 Scion tC

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

This is a sporty looking car only
By buckeyedrifter on

2007 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had to get rid of my TC 2.5 years because of an accident so I figured now would be a good time to write a review. Things I liked:
Fun car to drive for a Toyota
Great car to learn/relearn manual
Very flexible so easy to haul big things

Things I didn't like:
Not very good in rain/snow
Tires wore out too quickly
Mileage would go down unless driven perfectly on a perfect road
Very bland handling
Too much body roll
No LSD
Too high a center of gravity
Both tuner and regular maintenance parts are expensive

This car only looks sporty and definitely doesn't drive or handle that way. There is way too much body roll and the suspension is way too soft to handle corners. The gear ratios are also very short and the car is desperate for a sixth gear. Even for a commuter car, the car was laughably pathetic in the rain and even more so in the snow. I currently drive a RWD Camaro and the Camaro is laughably better in the snow even without winter tires. All in all, if all you plan on doing is going from A to B, relearn/learn manual or want something stylish, then the car is worth it. But if you're looking for a fun small car, a tuner car, or if you live in the northeast don't bother. I bought this car after having a 97 Civic for 9 years and the Civic was a laughably better car in terms of handling, structural stiffness, gas mileage, and tire wear regardless of how or where I drove; be it the freeway or at the race track. The car got totaled after it hydroplaned in the rain on the way to work. I was only going 40 and I couldn't believe how badly the car was damaged after hitting a guard rail; the first responders told me I was lucky as they see these cars crumple like a can in very small accidents. Buying parts for these cars, be it brake pads, a new clutch or performance parts was also far more expensive than I realized. Same parts for my Honda and even my Camaro are only a fraction of the price. Like others, the paint started wearing off within a year. My biggest complaint was the gas mileage. For such a small car, the mileage was laughable; it would only mirror the EPA estimates if I drove unreasonably slow in on a perfectly smooth road. I got far better mileage in my Civic and even better mileage in my V8 Camaro regardless of how I drive. I really expected a lot more from Toyota.

• Rear seats

• Shifting
  • Steering
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review