Used 2007 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Burning excessive Oil, bad rubber use, moonroof
By Ex-TC Owner

2007 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After owning the car since day it rolled out at the shop, I have come to know this car fully in my last 9 years of ownership! I am surprised as to why ratings here are so high! Every TC owner I know has these issues. Moon-roof motor died within first year, they replaced it, then again the second, I had to pay for that, and then again the third year, by which time, I didn't want, a yearly, $1000 fee to use the Moon-roof 4 months out of the year. That is $250/month!

The gasket that seals the hatch/trunk door had melted by 3rd year and there is no ownership on dealership's part for this low quality rubber's use. After few winter/summer cycles, you will have this issue and your trunk becomes unusable regardless of the outside temperatures.

Trunk release switch cover is even worst, it literally melts into the plastic contrition that sets the release. It was very painful to get all the rubber out of the switch, now running without the cover, so the switch is operational, but, due to exposure to the elements, it died, and had to replace it, but second one melted too, so had to do the same. Removing that melted rubber is neither fun nor quick!

The engine, on average, burns 1 quart every 1300 miles! This can get real expensive, especially if you using good, fully synthetic oil. Apparently, this amount is well under their limits! There are no regulations or laws, so companies can set their own limits internally as to what constitutes "excessive"!

great sports car
By dealership

2007 Scion tC Spec 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Scion is the way to go and it will never let you down

paid too much
By jamesjacksonm1@verizon.net

2007 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

very good car

2007 Tc Burning Oil Excessively
By George D

2007 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Be aware of the excessive oil consumption of this car. My 2007 Tc started burning oil at around 50,000 miles when the oil lamp turned on. Toyota extended the warranty but will not fix it for some reason. They will tell you to take oil consumption tests until the warranty runs out in 2016. Google this problem and you will know more. I will not recommend anyone buying any Scion car until Toyota commits to fixing this problem.

This is a sporty looking car only
By buckeyedrifter

2007 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had to get rid of my TC 2.5 years because of an accident so I figured now would be a good time to write a review. Things I liked:
Fun car to drive for a Toyota
Great car to learn/relearn manual
Very flexible so easy to haul big things

Things I didn't like:
Not very good in rain/snow
Tires wore out too quickly
Mileage would go down unless driven perfectly on a perfect road
Very bland handling
Too much body roll
No LSD
Too high a center of gravity
Both tuner and regular maintenance parts are expensive

This car only looks sporty and definitely doesn't drive or handle that way. There is way too much body roll and the suspension is way too soft to handle corners. The gear ratios are also very short and the car is desperate for a sixth gear. Even for a commuter car, the car was laughably pathetic in the rain and even more so in the snow. I currently drive a RWD Camaro and the Camaro is laughably better in the snow even without winter tires. All in all, if all you plan on doing is going from A to B, relearn/learn manual or want something stylish, then the car is worth it. But if you're looking for a fun small car, a tuner car, or if you live in the northeast don't bother. I bought this car after having a 97 Civic for 9 years and the Civic was a laughably better car in terms of handling, structural stiffness, gas mileage, and tire wear regardless of how or where I drove; be it the freeway or at the race track. The car got totaled after it hydroplaned in the rain on the way to work. I was only going 40 and I couldn't believe how badly the car was damaged after hitting a guard rail; the first responders told me I was lucky as they see these cars crumple like a can in very small accidents. Buying parts for these cars, be it brake pads, a new clutch or performance parts was also far more expensive than I realized. Same parts for my Honda and even my Camaro are only a fraction of the price. Like others, the paint started wearing off within a year. My biggest complaint was the gas mileage. For such a small car, the mileage was laughable; it would only mirror the EPA estimates if I drove unreasonably slow in on a perfectly smooth road. I got far better mileage in my Civic and even better mileage in my V8 Camaro regardless of how I drive. I really expected a lot more from Toyota.