Used 2006 Scion tC Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion tC Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Good car until the last 18 months
By katthulhu

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand-spanking new- I built it on the website and then waited 4 months for my customized tc to be delivered to me straight off the boat. It never got more than about 20 mpg city at best. The trunk/hatchback handle/plate broke off just like everyone else's. The a/c went out at 45k miles. Other than that, this car was reliable & easy to maintain for the first 90k. I've kept up with all the scheduled maintenance plus have done extras. After 90k, everything went to s***! The clutch and both cylinders went out, one of the motor mounts broke. It only has 97k currently, and I still need to put at least $3k of work into it to get it back to decent operating condition. Buyer beware!

I find this to be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in. I'm tall, and it's comfortable both in the front seats and the back seats, although in the back seats my head occasionally hits the top when going over bumps.

Scion/Toyota needs to use better quality parts, both in the engine and drivetrain and in the plastic interior. All of the plastic interior pieces have snapped out at some point. The pieces lining the hatchback have snapped out so often that they won't stay all the way in. The paint quality also sucks as it chips and scratches easily. The optional interior led lighting was cheaply designed and installed. My dad is an autobody technician and general car guru/genius, and he and I have had to make several custom redesigns on the interior and exterior build to keep the car from falling apart.

Worth every penny
By luvcars32

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Racked up 112,000 mile on my '06 tC, and never had 1 mechanical issue with it! I replaced the clutch after 80,000 miles, and that's it. Truth be told, this is a fun little car to drive and I beat on mine quite a bit. The reason for my review is, I was weary about Scion, because they were new. I bought it because it's a Toyota. Since they had done away with their sporty cars, I took my chances on this. I'm so glad I did. It was maintained with proper flushes, oil changes, tires and brakes, and never had gave me any mechanical issues.

FAVS: Love the look #1 (personal opinion) Also, the back seat is great, the front seats come all the way up, which allowed me to stand in the back. It made it easy to change my son, when he was a baby.

Although you get the dependability of a Toyota, once you own the car, you can see where they lack on the quality. My seal for the sunroof would start to come off, which sounded horrible when it would catch wind. Once, I literally rubbed a curb and my bumper bracket completely broke. Made my car look like crap. The biggest complaint, is the seperate piece that houses the lisc. plate light. That broke shortly after purchasing the car. It cost me $100 to replace. Not happy. I hope they've improved that on newer models. Lastly, quirky thing...my stereo would change stations when it was too cold outside.

Solid car
By pakman7

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it for 5+ years and it was my 1st big purchase after college. It's been good but I've had similar problems as some of the other posts written. Biggest problem was water pump going out at 67k, luckly it didn't heat and part was inexpensive. read trunk latch broke off, sunroof doesn't close all the way unless I hold down the wind blocker. Front seats don't go back to original position when accessing the back seat. Fun to drive tho and fairly roomy for a coupe, great on gas (avg 27 mpgs for me). The car also comes with good options in a standard package and has retained its value. Which is good cuz I'm ready to move on from coupes, tired of 2 doors and poor vision in coupes.

solid drive, well equipped in a standard package, great as mileage. spacious for a coupe and I'm over 6ft.

Front seats should go back to original position when accessing back seat. Sun roof should close properly. Rear gate is too heavy and the rubber sticks so becomes hard to open at times, which led to trunk latch breaking.

Tango-Charlie
By carnut1973

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Scion tC brand new for $15,900 (manual transmission)...an outstanding value for that price. Only thing I added was the rear wing, aluminum shift knob and the aluminum pedal covers. Decent styling in and out, good on gas, fun to drive and very reliable. Seating was comfortable for a long drive and the performance was decent for an economy-priced car. Where the economy-priced traits showed up were in interior noise, squeaks and rattles and poor paint quality--at least with the dark purple paint. Perhaps the lighter colors (i.e. white or silver) would wear better.

For $15,900 brand-new to get power windows, locks, mirrors, remote keyless entry, sunroof, 17-inch polished aluminum alloy wheels all in a nicely styled sport coupe is a heck of a good deal. Add in respectable handling, 30+ mpg on the highway and fairly quick accelaration (at least with the manual) and you have a car that is hard to argue with.

1. paint quality (at least the dark purple). 2. stereo power (with the windows and sunroof open--would have stock stereo turned up to max). 3. better sound insulation--could literally hear grains of sand clinking in the wheel-wells and conversations with anyone sitting in the backseat and the driver and/or front passenger was difficult at any kind of speed. 4. squeaks and rattles--had a lot, gave up trying to track all of them down...seemed like the worst offender was the rear-hatch.

Nice Car
By fbraz19

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in July of 2006. It's been a nice little car for me. I opted for the manual as a personal preference. I also opted for the iPod stereo upgrade, was not standard in this model year. It's been a great little car with the exception of a few items. The rear hatch latch came completely off on this car just before the 30k mile warranty was up and the dealer replaced it. The struts for said hatch have worn out and I had to buy new ones, I opted for ordering these from out of state due to cost. Keep in mind that I open the hatch at least 2 times a day 5 days a week for the last 4 years. Other then these two items mechanically the car has been great. Brakes/Rotors replaced once.

Stock Stereo, Decent power, good bang for the buck.

Better plastics for the rear hatch handle and better struts for said hatch.