Used 2006 Scion tC Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion tC Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Excelent!! Better than Camry
By bayoan

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The car is really comfortable up front and at the back, except in the middle. The steering feels great but the ride is stiff. Still, that is great for higher speeds. Peppy engine and tranny with 167000 miles still responds beautifully. Everything seems to fit nicely. The mpg is not great but it's normal for a 4cyl.

My favorite feature has to be the panoramic sunroof. It adds a new aspect of life to the car. A normal car with a normal sunroof feels like just a window in the ceiling. For going to the beach it is great to have it open and if you don't want to use the air conditioning but don't want to open the windows it's great and doesn't mess up your hair. Also it looks great!

I would improve more cargo space and the rear middle seat to be as low as the sides.

Good car until the last 18 months
By katthulhu

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand-spanking new- I built it on the website and then waited 4 months for my customized tc to be delivered to me straight off the boat. It never got more than about 20 mpg city at best. The trunk/hatchback handle/plate broke off just like everyone else's. The a/c went out at 45k miles. Other than that, this car was reliable & easy to maintain for the first 90k. I've kept up with all the scheduled maintenance plus have done extras. After 90k, everything went to s***! The clutch and both cylinders went out, one of the motor mounts broke. It only has 97k currently, and I still need to put at least $3k of work into it to get it back to decent operating condition. Buyer beware!

I find this to be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in. I'm tall, and it's comfortable both in the front seats and the back seats, although in the back seats my head occasionally hits the top when going over bumps.

Scion/Toyota needs to use better quality parts, both in the engine and drivetrain and in the plastic interior. All of the plastic interior pieces have snapped out at some point. The pieces lining the hatchback have snapped out so often that they won't stay all the way in. The paint quality also sucks as it chips and scratches easily. The optional interior led lighting was cheaply designed and installed. My dad is an autobody technician and general car guru/genius, and he and I have had to make several custom redesigns on the interior and exterior build to keep the car from falling apart.

Not happy at all with it
By stevet777

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 2006 Scion tc 6 months ago. It had 50,000 miles on it so we thought it would be a good dependable car for us. First off the gas mileage is horrible for a car this size. We have gotten 26 at best averaging 24. The seats are not comfortable on long trips. We have had several check engine lights come on where the mechanic could find nothing wrong. Last night my wife was driving it home and noticed smoke billowing out from under the hood. We took it to a mechanic and found out that it needs a new motor because of a common problem with the head and block. The price tag to fix this is over $6000. This is a common issue that I found out Toyota refuses to recall and take care of.

I wish Toyota would stand behind their cars and recall the cars affected by their mistake.

Great Car
By enginerdtrav

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car new in 2006 with 20 miles on it. I now have put 170,000 miles on it and the only issue I have had is the trunk handle breaking, which is a very common problem. Other than that it has run perfectly and not cost me an extra penny beyond standard maintenance. I'm going to keep driving it until the tires fall off which probably won't be for awhile. I certainly have gotten my money out of this car.

Great car
By lk4d4

2006 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 06 tC in may 2006 with 53 miles on it, now up to 210,000+ miles. No major issues what so ever. I still have the original car battery, which is impressive. I did have to add some distilled water into it after 6 years, no big feat there. I have a short RAM intake, Borla axle back exhaust, which after adding bumped my MPG to about 31-33 hwy. Most of my driving is hwy, my daily commute is 60 mi each way. and I drive frequently from San Diego to Sacramento, roughly 550 mi each way. The tC is comfortable enough to drive the whole way with no problems. I'm 5'10". Very easy to maintain. Easy access to the oil filter, I always check the placement of that on cars before buying.

I bought this car for all the features, everything comes stock on a Scion, power windows, mirrors everything really, pioneer head unit, nice speakers, tilt, cruise, moon roof and sun roof, good MPG, AC, reclining back seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, etc etc. why pay more for what should already be there? Longevity is good. allthough so long as you maintain your car, it will last. Interior is nice, I've driven some "nicer" cars like Infinities and BMW's of the same year and was surpirised by the quality of those brands interiors, that is after all what you see and feel while driving.

More HP is always good. Streangthen the trunk handle area.