Used 2006 Scion tC Base Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

2006 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Decent little car but overpriced.
By Jeremy

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a year and a half ago, totally in love with it at first. Good power band, predictable and quick for a car of this class. Right off the bat I replaced the suspension and did a modest 1/8th drop w/ coils, short shifter and a cold air intake. Modest modifications. The engine sounds really nice! But still, after you hit 60mph the power just seems to vanish. It pulls pretty hard off the line, but after 60mph (more accurately 3rd gear) the power dissipates and it's simply disappointing.
The Pros: Looks pretty nice, super easy to modify, plenty of parts to choose from, comfy (for the price), stereo is decent, and it handles surprisingly well at high speeds going into corners. Some people seem to have issues with reliability, I've had no such complaint. I have yet to get a single check engine light short of my gas cap failing (OH NO NOT $5!). Sunroof works great, windows work great, plenty of trunk space and room for two passengers in the rear. AC works well enough, heater is nearly too hot.
Cons: There's a lot.... For starters, the blue and white instrument cluster is REALLY IRRITATING. The highbeam indicator is so bright at night, I had to apply duct tape over it because it affected my vision at night. The blue you can dim, but what a dull choice for the dash. Turn signals are blinding, cruise control light is blinding, everything on that cluster impairs vision at night. Then in the day, you cant see it! It's the most hilarious thing, at night you're blinded, during the day you have to squint to see your speed. Bummer.
At high RPM, the engine sounds awesome. Low RPM, it nearly sounds broken. There's this ever present noise that all Toyota's I've owned make, but this one is particularly annoying. As you accellerate you can hear the drive train slowly getting louder and increasing in pitch. At first I liked it, it rather sounded like a go-kart, but now it's frustrating.
The standard manual stick shift had the longest throw I've ever seen. It was really annoying. I'd miss gears because the throw was so damn far. It was almost mandatory to install the TRD short shifter.
Front left speaker broke nearly immediately for reasons unknown.
The wire harnesses for my taillights literally lit on fire and required a $500 replacement.
Gas mileage is worse than my Honda Prelude SH's, which was 6 years older, weighed almost 500lbs more AND put out about 40 more bhp. 26 highway and 19 city? What? That's even when you reeeeaaallly baby the throttle. For a 4-cyl coupe w/ 160bhp, there's no reason for that at all. Weighs about as much as an aircraft carrier for it's size.
As I stated in the short review, the car is quick off the line (by quick I mean 6.9 second 0-60 w/ the short shifter), but super slow and lame after ~60mph. Fourth gear is a joke. Made worse by the fact that while cruising in 5th at 70MPH on the highway, the car is revved to 3.5K RPM. Which is simply goofy for a car that has no pull in 4th and 5th gear.
EVERYTHING RATTLES! The interior door plastic rattles. Windows rattle. Rear windshield rattles. Dash rattles. All of the things in this car rattle. The build quality in this car is simply atrocious. For a car that costs this much money, what the [non-permissible content removed] My old 87 Celica GT had a million times better interior quality, and I bought it for $1k! They used the cheapest plastic I've ever seen in a car. So much so that the plastic warped, so it's not even or flush on the window after 1k miles. [non-permissible content removed] Honestly, the plastic of a Fisher-Price buggy has better plastic quality.
The mesh of the seats (the option that I have, cant speak for cloth/leather) is comfy and easy to clean, but foul to the touch. Feels cheap like everything else. When I bought the car the clutch was too stiff, now it's loose and unpredictable. Sometimes I can depress it half way and shift, other times it decides that I cant. Really confusing.
At 115K miles the starter, ignition system and distributor cap failed simultaneously. $6k down the hole. I need to replace the spark plugs way more frequently than I should (nearly every 1K miles, probably related to the dead ignition system).
THE SINGLE MOST ANNOYING THING YOU WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN DRIVING THIS CAR: It's a Corolla with an aluminum block. Still a corolla. The motor just isnt special at all. Cams are small. Transmission is weak. Not enough power etc. But occasionally you'll be driving and remember "I could have saved $4k if I just bought a Corolla, and gotten the same effect". Except, somehow, even the corollas have better build quality than the Scion tC.
Unless you like boring overpriced cars that have no power, suck gas like an SUV, but look nice. Go buy a Corolla. Their cheaper, more reliable, just as fast, more comfortable, get way better mileage and dont disappoint because you never expect anything out of corollas ;)

79K and all major parts needed replacement
By Tom Jackson

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Every plastic piece in the interior that can snap has. And of course the exterior rear lift/license plate cover has too. Also cracked lower front cladding when almost new just by tapping a curb.

Very comfortable seats, even in the back. Great ergonomics, instrumentation, and electronics for 2006. Audio quite good.

Noise is completely tire related - originals and Goodyears were terrible. Michelin Pilots are great.

In town mileage is terrible - ~17 at best. Have gotten 30 on long trips.

Mechanicals quality are terrible: have replaced - brakes and rotors x2, tires x3, clutch, And now needs a new transmission (bearings and shifter linkage) at 79K.

Would NEVER buy another Scion or Toyota ever, despite everyone I know who has one feeling the opposite. Have had a Nissan and 2 Hondas and will be going back to them.

Good car until the last 18 months
By katthulhu

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand-spanking new- I built it on the website and then waited 4 months for my customized tc to be delivered to me straight off the boat. It never got more than about 20 mpg city at best. The trunk/hatchback handle/plate broke off just like everyone else's. The a/c went out at 45k miles. Other than that, this car was reliable & easy to maintain for the first 90k. I've kept up with all the scheduled maintenance plus have done extras. After 90k, everything went to s***! The clutch and both cylinders went out, one of the motor mounts broke. It only has 97k currently, and I still need to put at least $3k of work into it to get it back to decent operating condition. Buyer beware!

I find this to be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in. I'm tall, and it's comfortable both in the front seats and the back seats, although in the back seats my head occasionally hits the top when going over bumps.

Scion/Toyota needs to use better quality parts, both in the engine and drivetrain and in the plastic interior. All of the plastic interior pieces have snapped out at some point. The pieces lining the hatchback have snapped out so often that they won't stay all the way in. The paint quality also sucks as it chips and scratches easily. The optional interior led lighting was cheaply designed and installed. My dad is an autobody technician and general car guru/genius, and he and I have had to make several custom redesigns on the interior and exterior build to keep the car from falling apart.

Worth every penny
By luvcars32

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Racked up 112,000 mile on my '06 tC, and never had 1 mechanical issue with it! I replaced the clutch after 80,000 miles, and that's it.
Truth be told, this is a fun little car to drive and I beat on mine quite a bit. The reason for my review is, I was weary about Scion, because they were new. I bought it because it's a Toyota. Since they had done away with their sporty cars, I took my chances on this. I'm so glad I did.
It was maintained with proper flushes, oil changes, tires and brakes, and never had gave me any mechanical issues.

FAVS: Love the look #1 (personal opinion) Also, the back seat is great, the front seats come all the way up, which allowed me to stand in the back. It made it easy to change my son, when he was a baby.

Although you get the dependability of a Toyota, once you own the car, you can see where they lack on the quality. My seal for the sunroof would start to come off, which sounded horrible when it would catch wind. Once, I literally rubbed a curb and my bumper bracket completely broke. Made my car look like crap. The biggest complaint, is the seperate piece that houses the lisc. plate light. That broke shortly after purchasing the car. It cost me $100 to replace. Not happy. I hope they've improved that on newer models. Lastly, quirky thing...my stereo would change stations when it was too cold outside.

Solid car
By pakman7

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it for 5+ years and it was my 1st big purchase after college. It's been good but I've had similar problems as some of the other posts written. Biggest problem was water pump going out at 67k, luckly it didn't heat and part was inexpensive. read trunk latch broke off, sunroof doesn't close all the way unless I hold down the wind blocker. Front seats don't go back to original position when accessing the back seat. Fun to drive tho and fairly roomy for a coupe, great on gas (avg 27 mpgs for me). The car also comes with good options in a standard package and has retained its value. Which is good cuz I'm ready to move on from coupes, tired of 2 doors and poor vision in coupes.

solid drive, well equipped in a standard package, great as mileage. spacious for a coupe and I'm over 6ft.

Front seats should go back to original position when accessing back seat. Sun roof should close properly. Rear gate is too heavy and the rubber sticks so becomes hard to open at times, which led to trunk latch breaking.