2006 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:
Not happy at all with it
By stevet777 on 04/03/14 14:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 2006 Scion tc 6 months ago. It had 50,000 miles on it so we thought it would be a good dependable car for us. First off the gas mileage is horrible for a car this size. We have gotten 26 at best averaging 24. The seats are not comfortable on long trips. We have had several check engine lights come on where the mechanic could find nothing wrong. Last night my wife was driving it home and noticed smoke billowing out from under the hood. We took it to a mechanic and found out that it needs a new motor because of a common problem with the head and block. The price tag to fix this is over $6000. This is a common issue that I found out Toyota refuses to recall and take care of.

Great Car
By enginerdtrav on 03/13/14 10:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car new in 2006 with 20 miles on it. I now have put 170,000 miles on it and the only issue I have had is the trunk handle breaking, which is a very common problem. Other than that it has run perfectly and not cost me an extra penny beyond standard maintenance. I'm going to keep driving it until the tires fall off which probably won't be for awhile. I certainly have gotten my money out of this car.

Great car
By lk4d4 on 04/04/13 16:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 06 tC in may 2006 with 53 miles on it, now up to 210,000+ miles. No major issues what so ever. I still have the original car battery, which is impressive. I did have to add some distilled water into it after 6 years, no big feat there. I have a short RAM intake, Borla axle back exhaust, which after adding bumped my MPG to about 31-33 hwy. Most of my driving is hwy, my daily commute is 60 mi each way. and I drive frequently from San Diego to Sacramento, roughly 550 mi each way. The tC is comfortable enough to drive the whole way with no problems. I'm 5'10". Very easy to maintain. Easy access to the oil filter, I always check the placement of that on cars before buying.

Fun car but NOT worth it! READ.
By shehob11 on 02/01/13 10:55 AM (PST)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After one year of purchase I am selling for another Honda. My accord was totaled so I bought this. Bad mistake. This car is built very cheap and if you look hard enough you will very clearly see it. Driving it overtime you will see many things you hate. The moon-roof whistles so loud and there is no fix, embarrassing to have friends point out how annoying it is. But the worst thing yet is the MPG. averages between 22-26 and that's it! The rating is 19mpg for city! Just awful. Seriously look into another car before buying. Just test drive a Honda and you will immediately notice how bad the TC quality is.

A Trap!
By esantiago1 on 11/25/12 09:17 AM (PST)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my Scion last year and I was honestly pretty proud. However under all the hood there's a horrible secret that Toyota has been hiding. After 80,000 there is a serious coolant leak issue where the threads of the block weaken around the gaskets. It's caused by normal wear and tear and is a prominent scion issue that comes with a minimum $2,000-$3,000 dollar price tag! Toyota refuses to take any responsibility with the issue and refuses to recall Scions BUT they did do recalls on Camrys for the exact same issue... It's a shame that such a nice car has to come to such a disappointing end and Toyota simply ignores the problem.

Worth every penny
By luvcars32 on 04/09/12 11:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Racked up 112,000 mile on my '06 tC, and never had 1 mechanical issue with it! I replaced the clutch after 80,000 miles, and that's it. Truth be told, this is a fun little car to drive and I beat on mine quite a bit. The reason for my review is, I was weary about Scion, because they were new. I bought it because it's a Toyota. Since they had done away with their sporty cars, I took my chances on this. I'm so glad I did. It was maintained with proper flushes, oil changes, tires and brakes, and never had gave me any mechanical issues.

TC heaven
By sdsu12 on 11/12/11 10:32 AM (PST)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great road handling small sport car. If you do not enjoy sport cars do not buy this car. Interior is small, only 2 doors and hard to get people in the back seat. This car is good for two people to drive around town. My doughter currently drives this car but she now is 22 and wants a small SUV. I might keep it for the weekend driving in SOCAL.

just ok
By cnby on 08/24/11 11:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our silver TC in March 06 brand new. I will just list the pros then cons. Pros are it is fun and sporty to drive. It is a cheap sports car that is good on gas and reliable. We have replaced only the brakes thus far and normal maintenance. It currently has 120K miles. It is of average comfort. The cons are it is cheaply made. Any little thing that has touched it has left a dent. Also the paint on the side mirrors started chipping off in fall of 2007. The paint on the body is fine but the paint on the side mirrors is now 50 % gone. The rear handle to the hatchback broke completely off after 4 yrs. The sunroof button has to be tapped now to close the sunroof completely. Good overall.

Solid car
By pakman7 on 06/25/11 22:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it for 5+ years and it was my 1st big purchase after college. It's been good but I've had similar problems as some of the other posts written. Biggest problem was water pump going out at 67k, luckly it didn't heat and part was inexpensive. read trunk latch broke off, sunroof doesn't close all the way unless I hold down the wind blocker. Front seats don't go back to original position when accessing the back seat. Fun to drive tho and fairly roomy for a coupe, great on gas (avg 27 mpgs for me). The car also comes with good options in a standard package and has retained its value. Which is good cuz I'm ready to move on from coupes, tired of 2 doors and poor vision in coupes.

Affordable, Reliable and Sporty-Looking
By megster on 04/21/11 22:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

has been a great car for me for the past 5 years. It has 75k on it and i've only changed the breaks & tires once. never had any pricey maintenance problems or any engine problems! my car has only had some weird fix-it-yourself issues like the windshield molding coming off (glued that back on), sunroof not closing (i tap it instead of pressing it down and it closes), driver's seat chair catching on track (used melted chapstick to fix), and the hatch release piece almost breaking off (bolted extra bolts in the interior to keep it on). But i can't express how RELIABLE and LOW COST this cars been. i wish it had a sportier suspension tho! also, looks like a teen car and i'm in my late 20s!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.