Pros far outweigh the cons
By fairlady03 on
2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
Bought mine as a demo with 2900 miles on it, and we'll be celebrating our 7 year anniversary in February. I've put 155k (not easy miles either - I beat on my cars pretty soundly) and I have to say it has withstood everything I put it through with class and style. It's like the little Scion that could. Most problems have been wear and tear, otherwise VERY minimal maintenance and still runs like a top. Overall a solid investment, fun to tune (have TRD exhaust, K&N Typhoon intake, B&M short throw), easy to work on/troubleshoot, respectably quick. I bought a 350Z this past February and kept the tC for winter and shopping trips - she's still got a lot of life left in her :)
Favorite Features
Very responsive, lots of torque for a 4 banger. Shifts are precise and well-spaced, even better with the short throw kit. Panoramic roof is awesome (if it gets quirky guys just WD40 the tracks.) Upgraded bazooka tube provides ample listening pleasure. Cargo capacity is mind-blowing for a coupe. Reclining rear seats reduce "shotgun" wars amongst friends and loved ones. Very plug-and-play!! Super reliable - no major electrical or mechanical problems whatsoever. Lots of standard features that weren't standard on the competition. With snows it's good in the winter. Also appears to have a waterproof interior (oops.)
Suggested Improvements
I do wish Scion would address the rear hatch issue. Probably about 75% of tCs I see on the road have the trunk duct taped. They really ought to step up to the plate and pay for the repairs. I did a DIY fix for cheap but it's not quite the same. The stock radio was junk, went through 3 under warranty then put in a higher-end Pioneer which has been perfect ever since. I've also had to replace the mounting clips in the trunk trim periodically since they crack from the vibrations of the subwoofer (cheap and quick - just a minor annoyance.) Definitely get snow tires for winter driving!!