Used 2005 Scion tC Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion tC Hatchback

View reviews for a specific tC model:

ok car
By dsl

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it first came out towards the end of 04. So far no engine problems. But the brakes squeaks a lot on reverse. Also, the liftback rattles from time to time. Radio cover also squeaks constantly. I took it back to the dealer, they tried to fix it but the problems are still there.

Favorite Features

reliability, Toyota engine

Suggested Improvements

fix the problems; brake squeaks, liftback rattles, and radio cover squeaks

Not Bad
By Paul

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine used after reading mostly good things for a not-too-expensive sporty coupe. I think that the car should get better fuel mileage for a relatively small engine. Also, the interior materials are fairly easily marred from a simple wedding ring or touching it with your key. On the good side, it has plenty of torque and is a great car to learn to drive a manual or if you don't have good knees but still want a manual as a lot of shifting is not required for function.

Favorite Features

Standard features: sunroof, cd player, panoramic roof, keyless entry. Enough torque to get moving easily.

Suggested Improvements

A sixth gear that is an overdrive gear for cruising. 3200 RPM in 5th at 60 isn't very respectable. Better interior finish and materials.

Love my Tc
By jagon09

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tc used with only 23k miles. very rare to find an 05 vehicle with such low miles for a three year old car. it is very sporty and has a very good turn radius. love the pioneer system in it i put it on feel and its good to go. handling is very good and it handles curves very well around corners even at speeds of 80mph. not sure bout mpg yet considering im still calculating but it is way better than my old truck. i bought this car as an alternate to a mustang since my mother said i couldn't have one considering im still 17. but i love this car and what else is awesome is that it has the same name as my dad, his name is TC too. lol

Favorite Features

Double moon roof, double one touch windows(driver and passenger), pioneer system, has a lot of power for a 4cyl engine, same name as my dad(TC)

Suggested Improvements

More space between pedals, they're so close that people with big feet like me have to drive barefoot or hit all three pedals at the same time, cheap interior, a plastic piece broke off of trunk door and wont snap back into place, hard to keep clean on inside as well with black interior

Fun, I guess..
By rjy1988

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car after looking around at similar cars. This one seemed like the best buy. After having it for a couple of months I had to take it in to have a protective screen put on the moonroof. A few months later the moonroof had trouble closing. It would get close to closing then open all the way again, it now still takes about one minute for it to close completely. Other than that I haven't had many problems with it. It doesn't handle very well in rainy/snowy conditions and I can feel the tires slipping a lot. It is a great car though for adding on aftermarket parts. I put on cold-air intake and new exhaust, and like it a lot. It is a good car for its price, but don't expect too much.

Favorite Features

Pretty quick acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, traction, small rattling sounds (I have one coming from the a/c in the front that drives me crazy)

Geat Car
By Herb

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004 and still think it's great! I have taken six trips to Tennessee in it 540 miles one way and always get 30 miles per gallon doing 75-80 mph. I have yet to drive it in the winter though. I really like the looks of the car, the only complaint, is that when I first drive it sometimes the sunroof rattles, oh and I traded my new Honda Civic EX for it, now that was a really slow car. You can't get a better car for the money than the TC.

Favorite Features

Looks and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Six speed maybe