Used 2005 Scion tC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

At least it looks sporty...
By big Dog Davidson

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, here goes. I've had this car for 3 years. I live in the southwest and it gets' hot. The air in this car doesn't get cold, I guess it's too much Glass to effectively cool also my sun-visor broke 3 months ago. I agree the skin is too weak to absorb any impact. You will find within weeks that the acres of smooth well fitted sheet metal are too much temptation for rude parking neighbors to resist. I have so many dents and dings I lost count, and I park far away from the doors! The engine is good for the price. But it's def not a sports car. Then handling is "so, so". Biggest complaint is Toyota's "debilitating" maintenance schedule. Unless your name is Rockefeller don't plan on keeping up.

Favorite Features

looks sporty, reliable engine (though it does tend to stutter a bit with AIR on), Ridiculous 200mph Z-rated tires are nice. Till you have to replace them. Go cheap on your next set, you won't notice a difference.

Suggested Improvements

The radio... Buy one you'll know what I'm talkin about, it needs a volume knob! You'll also notice that everytime you bring it in for an oil change you'll leave $200-400 of your pay check with them. I've been to 4 dealers and they all threaten to void your warranty if you don't get services done.

Fun and Reliable
By AJ

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2004 to replace my stolen Acura Integra. The car is absolute bliss considering the price;plenty of amenities. The car is fun to drive, plenty of power, great look inside and out. I received multiple compliments on the road. The interior is roomy and comfortable. This car lugs around 4 big guys no problem. The gas mileage is not too bad. This car is RELIABLE. I put 102,000 miles on it in about 3 1/2 years. This car has seen the coldest winters(I live in CO) and some of the hottest summers. I have taken this car to Las Vegas twice and to LA as well. Did not have any major issues when I had it. The engine is bullet proof (No longer own: accident total loss)

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, plethora of standard features, reliable, great exterior and interior design. cargo space, 17 inch wheels, plenty of safety features.

Suggested Improvements

better tires, fix various squeaking noises, stronger motor, HID headlights

pretty good overall
By andrea

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over three years and I feel I can make an adequate assessment of the vehicle. The car is not made of the best quality parts. The pain chips and the body dents easily. The gas mileage is OK, and I find it hard to believe the manual trans gets worse mileage than the auto. I take the car in every 5k for oil changes/maintenance and have treated it well. The hatchback rattles like crazy in 40 or below weather and the hatchback struts gave out on me after about a year of having the car (not covered in the extended warranty). You feel every bump on the road, but I guess that is due to low pro tires. It is slippery in the snow, but handles well in rain. Great CA car!

Favorite Features

LOTS of room for cargo storage. If you lower the back seat, you can store lots! I also the love the reclining back seats. There is also lots of room if you do sit in the back.

Suggested Improvements

heated seats?

Solid car for the money.
By JAG

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my Scion tC for almost a year now and I really enjoy this vehicle. It looks great and had all the features I was looking for such as power everything, decent gas mileage, sun roof, air conditioning, and disc changer. I bought it with 57,000 miles on it and it still drives like a brand new car. I am hoping to get as many miles out of my current tC as possible and would definitely purchase another one in the future.

Favorite Features

Sporty design, sunroof, and over all road performance.

Suggested Improvements

This may not be an issue for all 05 tC's but the tire pressure light is extremely sensitive and goes off constantly. (nothing wrong with tires) The sunroof whistles occasionally while traveling at high speeds.

Wish it was a lil better, o well.
By jagon09

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used with only 27k miles and it is actually a pretty good buy. It is pretty fun to drive just wish it wasn't so heavy around turns. My dad's lil old Honda is smoother around turns, but what can ya say. I still love it. O and gas mileage isn't where it should be but I think that is due to weird weather lately and me not having standard 215/45/17 tires but 235/45/17 tires. O well. 21 is way better than the old 13 I got with a Chevy truck. lol

Favorite Features

standard, pretty fast for a 4 cyl, sunroof, and moonroof, trd air intake and exhaust make it sound awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Not so heavy, more durable (entire front fender destroyed buy a feather touch of a Chevy, it was no bueno) one sunroof is fine, better gear ratios, have to switch almost instantly in first 3 gears, all Glass roof is no bueno when you flip the lil devil but other than that it is a pretty good lil ride