2005 Scion tC Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:
Wonderful car for price
By SJScionTC on 08/14/07 21:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After reading countless reviews, I decided to buy a used tC. The previous reviews are correct. There is rattling in the car from different places. The interior door handles are easily scratched. Six speakers sharing 160 watts is a little weak, especially when you have the windows rolled down on the freeway, but when up it sounds good. Overall, I bought this car used with 45,000 miles and it runs wonderfully. I expected the rattling especially a car that starts at $16,000. I do get 28 mpg, but I am 80% freeway. My other cars were a civic prelude and integra and they rattle a bit as well. I recommend this car, but remember it's a car that is under $20,000 so you can't expect too much.

Nothing else comes close.
By Dan on 08/06/07 15:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new three years ago because it was by far the best bet for the money. I have driven it coast to coast with everything I own and my dog in it. I have driven it in ice and zero visibility. I have left it in the pouring rain with the sunroof and windows open. At no point in the last 40k miles have I been disappointed. It is very much a toyota, and it is cheap. I have read through these reviews and have been shocked to see people listing things like lack of power, cheap materials, and "I can't work my iPod and drive at the same time" type criticism. If you want the perfect car, you had better look to BMW or Audi. This is a Scion, built for good looks, value, economy.

The Real Deal on the tC
By tCtuner56 on 08/05/07 15:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great. The power of the tuned up Camry engine is awesome in this small car. Actually once you're inside its not small at all. I'm 6'1 and my seat isn't even back all the way and there's tons of room in the back. I don't get 20 mpg either but it is easy to know why. I can't resist pushing the pedal. I dont see how anyone could! This car is very fun to drive. Sometimes I even take the long way home! As for engine noise, I have the TRD exhaust so I couldn't tell you much there. The only problem I did have was the Hercules tires, not sure if they were stock. Sunroof cover is cheap but who cares?

Scion tC
By Shellonda on 07/14/07 10:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for the price. I am contemplating buying a newer one this year because I love it so much. It is pretty on the outside as well as in!

Great car for the money
By Derek-Fort Myers FL on 07/11/07 05:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used in Jan 07 with just 30K miles. I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance, handling, and comfort of the tC. I don't get great gas mileage, but I drive it pretty hard. The only ongoing problem I have is with the sunroof - it whistles on the highway and continues to jam up when I close it, needing my assistance to get beyond a certain point. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Scion tC
By jag85 on 06/25/07 00:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a year into college. I have always been a big fan of Toyotas, and the Scion brand offered many options standard for a reasonable price. There probably isn't a better overall car you can buy for 17k brand new in the U.S. Since its a big 4 cylinder 2.4 liters, I would expect a bit more horsepower, at least 175-180. Overall it's a great car, fuel efficient, very reliable, unique styling, Lexus like interior, fairly priced. This is definitely a great car to give to your high school grad.

Not all that
By kevin on 06/06/07 00:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was expecting a lot from the Scion tC because everyone told me "best bang for your buck" but to me it didn't deliver. You can tell Toyota really cut corners when building this car, and that's why they offer it for so cheap. The interior would constantly rattle to the point I hated driving it. My radio cover would squeak and the hatch would always rattle. The sunroof covers started to sag after 12,000 miles. Gas mileage is pathetic considering Toyota makes 270 hp V6 with the same MPG. After a year and a half of owning I traded it in.

tC after two years
By Geo on 06/01/07 15:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The only complaint I have is that it rattles, and Toyota has not fixed the rattle. Intermittent, of course, sounds like the hatchback or the sun roof. I love this car. I love the way it reponds at 60 to 70 mph, I love to put it through hard corners, I love the manual transmission. People over 6 foot 3 have a hard time with the head room, but it fits me fine. I look forward to driving it.

Great Car for the Price!
By stl.tc.king on 03/21/07 15:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After looking for quite a while at several different cars, I decided to buy a Scion tC. The major factors which led to my decision include the Camry's 2.4L engine (proven to be reliable), the styling, both interior as well as exterior, and the long list of standard features that are included within the base price (keyless entry, 17" alloy wheels, dual sunroofs, reclining rear seats, etc..) After my purchase, Scion has done a great job keeping buyer's remorse to a minimum because of their superior marketing. I feel as if I "belong" to somewhat of a community of enthusiasts with similar interests.

Great Car for the Money
By Scot on 02/24/07 15:47 PM (PST)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

One of the happiest days for me was when I drove away with a new '05 Scion tC. It's an all around great car and when it comes to durability, the fact that it's a Toyota speaks for itself. It has some pretty good power thanks to Toyota's modifying the Camry engine to boost the torque. The only complaint that I have are the following: the sunroof rattles (Toyota mechanics were baffled and couldn't fix it), it has loud engine noise, the seat material is cheap and uncomfortable, it has ultra-cheap side mirrors and sunroof cover, and finally... the paint and interior plastic scratches easily. Still, these were minor problems and for the money, you get all the goodies for the biggest bang for your buck!