Used 2005 Scion tC Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Most Helpful|
my car
By Art

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have one and love it!!!!!!

Favorite Features

the appearance, and overall feel of car

Suggested Improvements

a turn knob for the radio, and song fast forward button on cd player. Better water drain for trunk

Nice Car, Some Problems
By Blake

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like my '05 tC, for the options you couldn't beat the price. However there are some issues that irk me. I have driven six tCs, two on a regular basis for about a year now. I find that each one is different in terms of performance, shifting, handling, etc. Some to the extent they feel like a completely different car. This inconsitency along with several interior and exterior flaws in workmanship/craftmanship (poor seams on seats, thin paint, rattles, whistiling sunroof) lead me to believe that Toyota has lost a lot in terms of quality control compared to my previous '93 Camry and '85 Celica.

Favorite Features

The glass top, auto-dimming mirror with homelink, MP3 player, outside mirror mounted turn signals, and reclining back seats.

Suggested Improvements

The tC needs to have higher quality, better plastic, padding to eliminate rattles, more durable paint, and better attention to detail. Also, Toyota should fix the leaky hatch on rainy days (can't Toyota design a system that doesn't dump water into the back seats and cargo area?) Place the front seat release so it does not compete with seatbelts for space.

ok car
By dsl

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it first came out towards the end of 04. So far no engine problems. But the brakes squeaks a lot on reverse. Also, the liftback rattles from time to time. Radio cover also squeaks constantly. I took it back to the dealer, they tried to fix it but the problems are still there.

Favorite Features

reliability, Toyota engine

Suggested Improvements

fix the problems; brake squeaks, liftback rattles, and radio cover squeaks

Excellent Sporty Ride
By MrE

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive around. It turns on a dime and handles great. Bucket seats in front and back are comfortable, even for road trips. I have always got better than 30 mpg, with the AC on, (over 40 with the wind at my back). AC doesn't feel as cold or powerful as some other vehicles, and has a hard time cooling off in hotter weather but it works fine when I'm by myself. My car does have a lot of road noise though, don't think that's a default on all makes though. I've put 40K miles on in 2 years and my biggest replacement was new tires when I got it.

Favorite Features

6 disc changer, manual transmission, roomy, stereo, automatic windows (down &up!) on both sides

Suggested Improvements

None - Great as is!

Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke
By sciontc05

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 05 Toyota Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke of a few years ago, shortly after the hydraulic shocks went out that hold the hatch (after 3 years/20,000mile). The dealer wanted $800 to replace them but suggested we buy after market, which we did but the after markets aren’t hydraulic so the hatch needs more strength to open/lift. Consequently, the trunk handle broke off and trunk release just hangs there. We keep taping it over and over with packing tape but now we have all this layers of ghetto tape. We have noticed a lot of taped Scion tcs and xbs on the road! We’d like to sell the car but would have to invest over $1500 to make it right. Scion won’t take responsibility for the cheap inferior design and plastic parts. We have spoke to them on the phone many times but they wont help us. We will NEVER buy another Toyota! We found a Facebook PAGE with helpful info and class action suit. [HTML removed]

Suggested Improvements

Replace rear garnish with the reinforced part Scion has manufactured and hydraulic shocks that lift/hold trunk hatch up FOR FREE.