2005 Scion tC Hatchback Consumer Reviews 3

2005 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

2005 tC Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great car, but problems with hatch
By ScottB

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. True, they could have used better material for the interior instead of the scratch-prone stuff they use, but then it would cost more. My only beef is with the latch to the hatchback. It has always been temperamental and difficult to open until last week when it finally snapped off. That's just poor design. I hope that they've fixed this in newer models. But despite that, this has been a great car and I'd definitely get another Scion.

Favorite Features

A lot of room, nice layout of controls, very zippy and eye-catching.

Suggested Improvements

the latch to the hatchback and maybe upgrade the interior .

Most reliable car I ever had..
By Lynn

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am in outside sales, and I bought the car as a workhorse. I got one of the first TC's made. I have driven my car 160,000 miles and have never had a problem. It trembles a little with the a/ c on when you are stopped, and the brakes squeak sometimes in reverse in the morning, and the CD changer get's jammed from time to time. These are my ONLY complaints. The power is great, and the handling is too (I have TRD struts) but this car has been a fun car to drive/own, and the cost to own is the cheapest I have ever seen. (besides tires)---What a GREAT car!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Soooo reliable! I get lots of compliments on it!

Suggested Improvements

none.. It's the best car for the money..

not too happy with Toyota/Scion
By AndrewS.

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 3 years; I have grown to HATE it. It is so small. It is so cheap, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to Scion. The car makes noise, hit a bump and you will hear the car make noise for the rest of your life, it creeks and rattles over every bump. The front bumper scrapes on EVERYTHING. The sunroof whistles, the rear hatch does not stay up, a/c condensation leaked into the radio - I now have no radio/speakers, mpg should be better, tires (no matter what brand) slide/slip in rain/snow and need replacing fast, brakes donít last the same of other cars. Poorly built car, very disappointing coming from Toyota.

Favorite Features

rear seats that recline, parking lights make the car look great. That's about it, it looks like a nice car, until you own one.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, build quality (!!), a working radio would be nice. Buy a Subaru (you might as well, same MPG), it's bullet proof. :)

very nice
By powerstrokediesel97

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car as a rollover with 700 miles, fixed it up, now has 55,000. Great car, very fun to drive especially cuz its standard, sound system is pretty good. Very happy with it, has never broken down... Its also very hard to get stuck, its amazing how rough of terrain you can drive it over with it being so low to the ground. I have also managed over 34 mpg out of it. A's across the board for this one, another great car from Toyota.

Favorite Features

Best part is it feels like a sporty car, its fast, fun, virtually no maintenance needed other than oil changes, turning radius is awesome

Suggested Improvements

Looks very different with such high door panels and short Windows, almost makes you feel a little like your sitting in a hole.

Can't Complain
By jmm143

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my tC for 4 years now and overall its great. Never been in the shop and always reliable. plenty of room for me but a little crowded for a family of more than 3. Would like a little more power and a less squeaky hatch but other than that its great!

Favorite Features

sunroof

Suggested Improvements

more power

At least it looks sporty...
By big Dog Davidson

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, here goes. I've had this car for 3 years. I live in the southwest and it gets' hot. The air in this car doesn't get cold, I guess it's too much Glass to effectively cool also my sun-visor broke 3 months ago. I agree the skin is too weak to absorb any impact. You will find within weeks that the acres of smooth well fitted sheet metal are too much temptation for rude parking neighbors to resist. I have so many dents and dings I lost count, and I park far away from the doors! The engine is good for the price. But it's def not a sports car. Then handling is "so, so". Biggest complaint is Toyota's "debilitating" maintenance schedule. Unless your name is Rockefeller don't plan on keeping up.

Favorite Features

looks sporty, reliable engine (though it does tend to stutter a bit with AIR on), Ridiculous 200mph Z-rated tires are nice. Till you have to replace them. Go cheap on your next set, you won't notice a difference.

Suggested Improvements

The radio... Buy one you'll know what I'm talkin about, it needs a volume knob! You'll also notice that everytime you bring it in for an oil change you'll leave $200-400 of your pay check with them. I've been to 4 dealers and they all threaten to void your warranty if you don't get services done.

Fun and Reliable
By AJ

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in November 2004 to replace my stolen Acura Integra. The car is absolute bliss considering the price;plenty of amenities. The car is fun to drive, plenty of power, great look inside and out. I received multiple compliments on the road. The interior is roomy and comfortable. This car lugs around 4 big guys no problem. The gas mileage is not too bad. This car is RELIABLE. I put 102,000 miles on it in about 3 1/2 years. This car has seen the coldest winters(I live in CO) and some of the hottest summers. I have taken this car to Las Vegas twice and to LA as well. Did not have any major issues when I had it. The engine is bullet proof (No longer own: accident total loss)

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, plethora of standard features, reliable, great exterior and interior design. cargo space, 17 inch wheels, plenty of safety features.

Suggested Improvements

better tires, fix various squeaking noises, stronger motor, HID headlights

pretty good overall
By andrea

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over three years and I feel I can make an adequate assessment of the vehicle. The car is not made of the best quality parts. The pain chips and the body dents easily. The gas mileage is OK, and I find it hard to believe the manual trans gets worse mileage than the auto. I take the car in every 5k for oil changes/maintenance and have treated it well. The hatchback rattles like crazy in 40 or below weather and the hatchback struts gave out on me after about a year of having the car (not covered in the extended warranty). You feel every bump on the road, but I guess that is due to low pro tires. It is slippery in the snow, but handles well in rain. Great CA car!

Favorite Features

LOTS of room for cargo storage. If you lower the back seat, you can store lots! I also the love the reclining back seats. There is also lots of room if you do sit in the back.

Suggested Improvements

heated seats?

Solid car for the money.
By JAG

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my Scion tC for almost a year now and I really enjoy this vehicle. It looks great and had all the features I was looking for such as power everything, decent gas mileage, sun roof, air conditioning, and disc changer. I bought it with 57,000 miles on it and it still drives like a brand new car. I am hoping to get as many miles out of my current tC as possible and would definitely purchase another one in the future.

Favorite Features

Sporty design, sunroof, and over all road performance.

Suggested Improvements

This may not be an issue for all 05 tC's but the tire pressure light is extremely sensitive and goes off constantly. (nothing wrong with tires) The sunroof whistles occasionally while traveling at high speeds.

Wish it was a lil better, o well.
By jagon09

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used with only 27k miles and it is actually a pretty good buy. It is pretty fun to drive just wish it wasn't so heavy around turns. My dad's lil old Honda is smoother around turns, but what can ya say. I still love it. O and gas mileage isn't where it should be but I think that is due to weird weather lately and me not having standard 215/45/17 tires but 235/45/17 tires. O well. 21 is way better than the old 13 I got with a Chevy truck. lol

Favorite Features

standard, pretty fast for a 4 cyl, sunroof, and moonroof, trd air intake and exhaust make it sound awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Not so heavy, more durable (entire front fender destroyed buy a feather touch of a Chevy, it was no bueno) one sunroof is fine, better gear ratios, have to switch almost instantly in first 3 gears, all Glass roof is no bueno when you flip the lil devil but other than that it is a pretty good lil ride