Used 2005 Scion tC Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion tC Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Good, reliable, toyota product, but a little boring
By krisinindy

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great car overall, reliable, cost effective, minimal maintenence costs.

glass roof, fuel economy, reliability, good looking car. Built very solid (to be expected by a toyota product)

Not fun to drive. infact, I find a corolla S sportier.

My first baby
By vanessabee

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car in Nov 04. Mechanically I've never had a single issue with it, just like other tC's Ive seen the rear hatch lever broke off, I took it to Scion to see if it was covered under warranty and it isn't I was always hoping I'd get a letter in the mail saying it was a defect :| Since buying this car I had a daughter, it's a pain getting a car seat in and out of, but most 2 door cars are. She also cant see out the windows, which she hated. Last week my husband rolled it down a hill. He sustained no injuries and the car survived with a couple of broken windows and dents. The car easily made it to 98,000 miles with no trips to a mechanic, just basic oil changes and what not. Great buy!

Beautiful sporty design, fast, safe.

Fix the rear hatch and it's a perfect car.

Some really obvious design oversights
By WL

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A "cool" looking car, however I have had numerous issues with it. The most recent being the poor construction of the rear hatch handle. It snapped off after regular use (not excessive force) and I've had it epoxied back on twice. It is only held in place by plastic screws and it is the only way to lift open the heavy hatch. The tires are also expensive (low profile racing-type tires).

Drives well, pretty good gas mileage. Looks nice, lots of space when you fold down the back seats and use the hatch.

Rear hatch door handle needs much stronger construction. And the hatch itself has been very difficult to open. The pneumatics don't do anything to help it open.

Stop Looking Right Here
By Peter

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was out to find a used car in the $10,000-$12,000 range, and found quite a variety awaiting me. I was considering a 2007 Honda Civic, a 2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK, and a 2008 Toyota Corolla. After driving all of them, none offered the kind of driving experience that the Scion offers. With a more-than-enough 2.4 liter engine that delivers surprising fuel economy, as well as plenty of power for such a small car, this Scion easily blows away anything else in its class. The interior is also class-leading, with a long list of standard features that other car companies charge much more for. My advice: Get the manual. It's so much fun to drive! I couldn't ask for anything more in a small car!

Standard Pioneer sound, 17-inch wheels, well-trimmed interior... couldn't ask for much more!

Ride quality is a bit choppy, but that can be expected with the sport tires that this car requires.

Excellent Sporty Ride
By MrE

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive around. It turns on a dime and handles great. Bucket seats in front and back are comfortable, even for road trips. I have always got better than 30 mpg, with the AC on, (over 40 with the wind at my back). AC doesn't feel as cold or powerful as some other vehicles, and has a hard time cooling off in hotter weather but it works fine when I'm by myself. My car does have a lot of road noise though, don't think that's a default on all makes though. I've put 40K miles on in 2 years and my biggest replacement was new tires when I got it.

6 disc changer, manual transmission, roomy, stereo, automatic windows (down &up!) on both sides

None - Great as is!