Used 2005 Scion tC Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Best car I've ever owned!!!
By tabby9111

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently had my Tc totaled by a giant truck and my car gave as much damage as it received.I walked away with out a scratch. I had 161000 miles on my car and it ran perfectly, even though I drove it like I was dale earnhardt. I was so happy with this car that my next car will be another Tc..

Favorite Features

I had a manual transmission so it was fun to drive and had lots of kick for a 4cyl. It handles like a race car and had the easiest clutch I've ever used. I loved the interior; all the materials were easy to keep clean and looked great.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can come up with is more insulation for the glass roof it gets insanely hot in the summer.

Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke
By sciontc05

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 05 Toyota Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke of a few years ago, shortly after the hydraulic shocks went out that hold the hatch (after 3 years/20,000mile). The dealer wanted $800 to replace them but suggested we buy after market, which we did but the after markets aren’t hydraulic so the hatch needs more strength to open/lift. Consequently, the trunk handle broke off and trunk release just hangs there. We keep taping it over and over with packing tape but now we have all this layers of ghetto tape. We have noticed a lot of taped Scion tcs and xbs on the road! We’d like to sell the car but would have to invest over $1500 to make it right. Scion won’t take responsibility for the cheap inferior design and plastic parts. We have spoke to them on the phone many times but they wont help us. We will NEVER buy another Toyota! We found a Facebook PAGE with helpful info and class action suit. [HTML removed]

Suggested Improvements

Replace rear garnish with the reinforced part Scion has manufactured and hydraulic shocks that lift/hold trunk hatch up FOR FREE.

Pros far outweigh the cons
By fairlady03

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine as a demo with 2900 miles on it, and we'll be celebrating our 7 year anniversary in February. I've put 155k (not easy miles either - I beat on my cars pretty soundly) and I have to say it has withstood everything I put it through with class and style. It's like the little Scion that could. Most problems have been wear and tear, otherwise VERY minimal maintenance and still runs like a top. Overall a solid investment, fun to tune (have TRD exhaust, K&N Typhoon intake, B&M short throw), easy to work on/troubleshoot, respectably quick. I bought a 350Z this past February and kept the tC for winter and shopping trips - she's still got a lot of life left in her :)

Favorite Features

Very responsive, lots of torque for a 4 banger. Shifts are precise and well-spaced, even better with the short throw kit. Panoramic roof is awesome (if it gets quirky guys just WD40 the tracks.) Upgraded bazooka tube provides ample listening pleasure. Cargo capacity is mind-blowing for a coupe. Reclining rear seats reduce "shotgun" wars amongst friends and loved ones. Very plug-and-play!! Super reliable - no major electrical or mechanical problems whatsoever. Lots of standard features that weren't standard on the competition. With snows it's good in the winter. Also appears to have a waterproof interior (oops.)

Suggested Improvements

I do wish Scion would address the rear hatch issue. Probably about 75% of tCs I see on the road have the trunk duct taped. They really ought to step up to the plate and pay for the repairs. I did a DIY fix for cheap but it's not quite the same. The stock radio was junk, went through 3 under warranty then put in a higher-end Pioneer which has been perfect ever since. I've also had to replace the mounting clips in the trunk trim periodically since they crack from the vibrations of the subwoofer (cheap and quick - just a minor annoyance.) Definitely get snow tires for winter driving!!

safety
By lindhn

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter was in a major accident, involving the following scenario. Person merged into the car sending into a spin, then hit again and was airborn for a full 360 landing on driver's side, sliding into the back of a flat bed big rig, righting back onto wheels and sending across 4 lanes of freeway. This occured at 65 mph. Both driver and passenger walked out of car. The car is a complete total but occupants okay, other than severe whiplash. Amazing!

Favorite Features

Airbags and build of car!

JUNK JUNK JUNK!
By andsantucci

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let's see here, I've owned the car since 2007 and I've had nothing but a hard time. Scion is of no help either. They can only say they have made a note but have no pending open recalls or other complaints about the car. I have no working radio, a sunroof that squeals, breaks that pop and make noises, a front bumper that looks like it is holding on by floss, the rear hatch plastic is about to break off (I've seen other Scions with tape holding up the part), over all I've found the car to be sub-par with what Toyota has made in the past.

Favorite Features

Not much...it is kinda quick when you jump on the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making the Scion brand. :)