2005 Scion tC Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:
Good, reliable, toyota product, but a little boring
By krisinindy on 07/25/11 13:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great car overall, reliable, cost effective, minimal maintenence costs.

My first baby
By vanessabee on 04/02/11 23:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car in Nov 04. Mechanically I've never had a single issue with it, just like other tC's Ive seen the rear hatch lever broke off, I took it to Scion to see if it was covered under warranty and it isn't I was always hoping I'd get a letter in the mail saying it was a defect :| Since buying this car I had a daughter, it's a pain getting a car seat in and out of, but most 2 door cars are. She also cant see out the windows, which she hated. Last week my husband rolled it down a hill. He sustained no injuries and the car survived with a couple of broken windows and dents. The car easily made it to 98,000 miles with no trips to a mechanic, just basic oil changes and what not. Great buy!

Some really obvious design oversights
By WL on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A "cool" looking car, however I have had numerous issues with it. The most recent being the poor construction of the rear hatch handle. It snapped off after regular use (not excessive force) and I've had it epoxied back on twice. It is only held in place by plastic screws and it is the only way to lift open the heavy hatch. The tires are also expensive (low profile racing-type tires).

Stop Looking Right Here
By Peter on 07/17/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was out to find a used car in the $10,000-$12,000 range, and found quite a variety awaiting me. I was considering a 2007 Honda Civic, a 2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK, and a 2008 Toyota Corolla. After driving all of them, none offered the kind of driving experience that the Scion offers. With a more-than-enough 2.4 liter engine that delivers surprising fuel economy, as well as plenty of power for such a small car, this Scion easily blows away anything else in its class. The interior is also class-leading, with a long list of standard features that other car companies charge much more for. My advice: Get the manual. It's so much fun to drive! I couldn't ask for anything more in a small car!

Excellent Sporty Ride
By MrE on 06/24/10 09:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive around. It turns on a dime and handles great. Bucket seats in front and back are comfortable, even for road trips. I have always got better than 30 mpg, with the AC on, (over 40 with the wind at my back). AC doesn't feel as cold or powerful as some other vehicles, and has a hard time cooling off in hotter weather but it works fine when I'm by myself. My car does have a lot of road noise though, don't think that's a default on all makes though. I've put 40K miles on in 2 years and my biggest replacement was new tires when I got it.

I like it. Been good to me
By since it came out on 06/15/10 11:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I read about this car and waited its arrival. When they became available I bought one. It's comfortable and reasonably sporty driving wise. I have fit so much stuff in this car at once it's astounding. Flip all the seats down including the passenger by taking the head rest off and you'll be amazed. It does hold the road and corner well and once you get used to the shifter it accelerates with more than enough oomph. I have changed the oil replaced the tires and that is it. I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off and given its performance to date I think that will be a long time coming.

Not as great as I 1st thought
By jagon91 on 04/26/10 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When i first purchased the car i was excited and it seemed like a pretty sporty car until i used it for a few months and realize it really isnt. it is sluggish and in the manual you are in 5th gear befor 45 or else it just feels strange driving around. i just want a car that i dont have to shift gears before i am halfway through an intersection. build quality is a joke. over time i have found at least 5 different rattles from all over the car. oh and my rear hatch handle straight up came off. repairs cost over 300 if not under warranty anymore and is a well known problem that scion refuses to deal with.

Best car for the money
By Andrew on 04/08/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It is not a sports car, so if that's what you need, turn around and read reviews of the 350z. Now, its a great car. 100,000 miles, and no repairs, only maintenance. I love it. The 5-speed manual is very quick and smooth engagement of the gears, easy release clutch. Sound system is AWESOME! Its got everything you need, its a great car, with Toyota quality, and its not on the recall list, because its made in Japan, where the Toyota reputation was made.

Great Car
By herb on 01/22/10 23:04 PM (PST)

I had this car 5 years and not a single problem, car is quick and sharp looking

Not perfect but good
By Michael on 01/19/10 21:17 PM (PST)

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used privately and so far it's been fantastic. The rear trunk latch/garnish is utter bs. Apparently it's a big problem with the tCs, but $150 part and $80 installation fee was pretty bad for a flimsy piece of plastic. The car rattles a bit and the moonroof is extremely touchy. Gets really loud inside at freeway speeds. Kinda crappy gas mileage for such a small car, too. The interior plastics seem kind of cheap. Other than that it's very reliable, fun to drive, looks very cool and the engine is very powerful!