Used 2005 Scion tC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Most Helpful|
Nightmare
By STANGMAC8183

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2001 Acura Integra GSR for a 2005 Scion TC, that was the biggest mistake in my life car wise. My scion was in the shop 13 times in 3 months. The windshield was replaced bc it broke due to bad weather stripping. The rear hatch panels as well at the glove box were all replace. There are to many problems to list but this car was a nightmare, I traded it in after just 9 months

Favorite Features

Sunroof, radio, torque, and it was a nice handling car before an axle broke

Suggested Improvements

Everything but the engine

Not all that
By kevin

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was expecting a lot from the Scion tC because everyone told me "best bang for your buck" but to me it didn't deliver. You can tell Toyota really cut corners when building this car, and that's why they offer it for so cheap. The interior would constantly rattle to the point I hated driving it. My radio cover would squeak and the hatch would always rattle. The sunroof covers started to sag after 12,000 miles. Gas mileage is pathetic considering Toyota makes 270 hp V6 with the same MPG. After a year and a half of owning I traded it in.

Favorite Features

Roomy back seats, all glass roof (although adds a lot of weight), exterior styling and i loved how the headlights turned off automatically.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage, interior quality (too many cheap plastics used). Improve the BUILD QUALITY (too many rattles)! The car should come lower from the factory. Make the car lighter... it's a pretty heavy for a coupe.

Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke
By sciontc05

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 05 Toyota Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke of a few years ago, shortly after the hydraulic shocks went out that hold the hatch (after 3 years/20,000mile). The dealer wanted $800 to replace them but suggested we buy after market, which we did but the after markets aren’t hydraulic so the hatch needs more strength to open/lift. Consequently, the trunk handle broke off and trunk release just hangs there. We keep taping it over and over with packing tape but now we have all this layers of ghetto tape. We have noticed a lot of taped Scion tcs and xbs on the road! We’d like to sell the car but would have to invest over $1500 to make it right. Scion won’t take responsibility for the cheap inferior design and plastic parts. We have spoke to them on the phone many times but they wont help us. We will NEVER buy another Toyota! We found a Facebook PAGE with helpful info and class action suit. [HTML removed]

Suggested Improvements

Replace rear garnish with the reinforced part Scion has manufactured and hydraulic shocks that lift/hold trunk hatch up FOR FREE.

My Horrible Experience
By Billy

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 167 mi. on it and since I drove it off the lot it's been nothing but problems. It has been in the shop 6 weeks total time, has been repainted, and I'm still having problems with it. The sunroof won't stop creaking (even though I've had it "fixed" twice), the CD player broke, the ac/heat button are sticking for some unknown reason, and sometimes the heat doesnt even work. Worst car I have EVER owned.

Favorite Features

Spacious back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car worth buying, I wouldn't have minded spending a little more for a car that wasn't made so cheaply.

scion tc
By lilchic

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

i have had my TC for about a week now and i am somewhat disappointed. The ride is rough and you can feel every bump on the road. i dont like the noise it makes when i accelerate.

Favorite Features

overall appearance, sunroof, roominess

Suggested Improvements

better shock absorbers and exhaust. better fuel economy.