Used 2005 Scion tC Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion Tc - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Best Car Yet
By zhanje

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I've owned yet. Quality, interior room (surprisingly, back seats are very spacious), performance, style and appearance are all top-notch. I had 130K without a single issue (besides rear-brake replacement), and it's unfortunate we're switching it out for a more family-friendly vehicle. Great car!

Favorite Features

Interior leg room (front and back), back seats fold down for ample storage room, reliability.

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By yamahaguy

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my tc for 9 months now and it is probably the best car I have ever owned when it comes to quality and driving fun. Ive read alot of people on here talking smack about how crappy these cars are but there is nothing wrong with them. I believe most of the negative comments are from those who just watched the fast and furious movie and expect their cars to fly or whatever other kind of stupid crap they see in the movie. WELL IT WONT!

Favorite Features

Extremely fun to drive! Has alot of power and corners pretty good. Fun to open the sunroof and cruise down the freeway. I love this car!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. This car is great just the way it is (regardless of what others may say)

Fun and Safe!
By goofy11

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I owned this car for nine months and really enjoyed it while it lasted. We had no problems with the car when we bought it from a friend. The car drives and handles very well for an affordable car. I took it to the track a couple of times and it surprised a professional driver on how well it handles and manages to keep up with a modded Subaru sti, honda s2000, and even a corvette in the corners (although it didn't have the power to keep up on the straights). The car has very good performance for the price. I recommend the manual. The reason why i didn't own this car to long is because it was totaled in a freak accident at 70 miles an hour, however I was able to walkaway completely unharme

Favorite Features

The handling is amazing for a car in this price range. Big back seat for a two door car. (I'm 6'2" and could easy fit back there, and the seats recline!) Versatility of the hatchback trunk. Good looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more power and a 6th gear. Steering wheel (which they updated next year) needs somewhere else to honk the horn rather than along the wheel, way too easy to accidentally honk while going around a corner. needs more head room. its no to bad for me in the front but its a little short in the back. I had the radio volume button stick so that it wouldn't go down. I was able to take the radio out myself though and clean the button and make it good as new.

Best car I've ever owned!!!
By tabby9111

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently had my Tc totaled by a giant truck and my car gave as much damage as it received.I walked away with out a scratch. I had 161000 miles on my car and it ran perfectly, even though I drove it like I was dale earnhardt. I was so happy with this car that my next car will be another Tc..

Favorite Features

I had a manual transmission so it was fun to drive and had lots of kick for a 4cyl. It handles like a race car and had the easiest clutch I've ever used. I loved the interior; all the materials were easy to keep clean and looked great.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can come up with is more insulation for the glass roof it gets insanely hot in the summer.

Pros far outweigh the cons
By fairlady03

2005 Scion tC Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine as a demo with 2900 miles on it, and we'll be celebrating our 7 year anniversary in February. I've put 155k (not easy miles either - I beat on my cars pretty soundly) and I have to say it has withstood everything I put it through with class and style. It's like the little Scion that could. Most problems have been wear and tear, otherwise VERY minimal maintenance and still runs like a top. Overall a solid investment, fun to tune (have TRD exhaust, K&N Typhoon intake, B&M short throw), easy to work on/troubleshoot, respectably quick. I bought a 350Z this past February and kept the tC for winter and shopping trips - she's still got a lot of life left in her :)

Favorite Features

Very responsive, lots of torque for a 4 banger. Shifts are precise and well-spaced, even better with the short throw kit. Panoramic roof is awesome (if it gets quirky guys just WD40 the tracks.) Upgraded bazooka tube provides ample listening pleasure. Cargo capacity is mind-blowing for a coupe. Reclining rear seats reduce "shotgun" wars amongst friends and loved ones. Very plug-and-play!! Super reliable - no major electrical or mechanical problems whatsoever. Lots of standard features that weren't standard on the competition. With snows it's good in the winter. Also appears to have a waterproof interior (oops.)

Suggested Improvements

I do wish Scion would address the rear hatch issue. Probably about 75% of tCs I see on the road have the trunk duct taped. They really ought to step up to the plate and pay for the repairs. I did a DIY fix for cheap but it's not quite the same. The stock radio was junk, went through 3 under warranty then put in a higher-end Pioneer which has been perfect ever since. I've also had to replace the mounting clips in the trunk trim periodically since they crack from the vibrations of the subwoofer (cheap and quick - just a minor annoyance.) Definitely get snow tires for winter driving!!