2005 Scion tC - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific tC model:
Best Car Yet
By zhanje on 05/29/14 17:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I've owned yet. Quality, interior room (surprisingly, back seats are very spacious), performance, style and appearance are all top-notch. I had 130K without a single issue (besides rear-brake replacement), and it's unfortunate we're switching it out for a more family-friendly vehicle. Great car!

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By yamahaguy on 08/13/13 12:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my tc for 9 months now and it is probably the best car I have ever owned when it comes to quality and driving fun. Ive read alot of people on here talking smack about how crappy these cars are but there is nothing wrong with them. I believe most of the negative comments are from those who just watched the fast and furious movie and expect their cars to fly or whatever other kind of stupid crap they see in the movie. WELL IT WONT!

Good Car with a Noisy Engine
By 99custom on 06/04/13 09:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's my wife's car, but I do all the work on it. It's a good car for the price, but the engine is very loud. If you do your research you will see a problem with waterpumps going out, lifters tapping, and cold starts making lots of noise. Another problem I have encountered is the breaks. They always make noise in reverse, no matter what. I'm not using cheap parts either. Of course my rear hatch broke, It's been JB-welded for years now..LOL. But the car runs good and does not consume oil like others have mentioned online.

Fun and Safe!
By goofy11 on 02/02/13 16:05 PM (PST)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I owned this car for nine months and really enjoyed it while it lasted. We had no problems with the car when we bought it from a friend. The car drives and handles very well for an affordable car. I took it to the track a couple of times and it surprised a professional driver on how well it handles and manages to keep up with a modded Subaru sti, honda s2000, and even a corvette in the corners (although it didn't have the power to keep up on the straights). The car has very good performance for the price. I recommend the manual. The reason why i didn't own this car to long is because it was totaled in a freak accident at 70 miles an hour, however I was able to walkaway completely unharme

I absolutely loved and adored my tC but....
By morrisseygirl on 01/05/13 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Okay I bought my 2005 tC on May of 05' and I was way super ecstatic. I still was up until my engine blew. I was completely 110% satisfied with it and I still am, that's why I am considering getting another but before I do I really need some feedback on the engine. I'm hoping what happened to my car was a fluke but any information would be great. What happened was the regulator valve or whatever it is that regulates the pressure of the engine apperantly went out. This caused too much pressure in the engine and blew off my oil filter (while driving) and naturally the oil came out while driving. I haven't read anything about this happening but any help would be great.

Best car I've ever owned!!!
By tabby9111 on 07/01/12 19:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently had my Tc totaled by a giant truck and my car gave as much damage as it received.I walked away with out a scratch. I had 161000 miles on my car and it ran perfectly, even though I drove it like I was dale earnhardt. I was so happy with this car that my next car will be another Tc..

Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke
By sciontc05 on 02/05/12 16:03 PM (PST)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 05 Toyota Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke of a few years ago, shortly after the hydraulic shocks went out that hold the hatch (after 3 years/20,000mile). The dealer wanted $800 to replace them but suggested we buy after market, which we did but the after markets aren’t hydraulic so the hatch needs more strength to open/lift. Consequently, the trunk handle broke off and trunk release just hangs there. We keep taping it over and over with packing tape but now we have all this layers of ghetto tape. We have noticed a lot of taped Scion tcs and xbs on the road! We’d like to sell the car but would have to invest over $1500 to make it right. Scion won’t take responsibility for the cheap inferior design and plastic parts. We have spoke to them on the phone many times but they wont help us. We will NEVER buy another Toyota! We found a Facebook PAGE with helpful info and class action suit. [HTML removed]

Pros far outweigh the cons
By fairlady03 on 12/01/11 15:50 PM (PST)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine as a demo with 2900 miles on it, and we'll be celebrating our 7 year anniversary in February. I've put 155k (not easy miles either - I beat on my cars pretty soundly) and I have to say it has withstood everything I put it through with class and style. It's like the little Scion that could. Most problems have been wear and tear, otherwise VERY minimal maintenance and still runs like a top. Overall a solid investment, fun to tune (have TRD exhaust, K&N Typhoon intake, B&M short throw), easy to work on/troubleshoot, respectably quick. I bought a 350Z this past February and kept the tC for winter and shopping trips - she's still got a lot of life left in her :)

safety
By lindhn on 11/04/11 18:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter was in a major accident, involving the following scenario. Person merged into the car sending into a spin, then hit again and was airborn for a full 360 landing on driver's side, sliding into the back of a flat bed big rig, righting back onto wheels and sending across 4 lanes of freeway. This occured at 65 mph. Both driver and passenger walked out of car. The car is a complete total but occupants okay, other than severe whiplash. Amazing!

JUNK JUNK JUNK!
By andsantucci on 08/15/11 08:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let's see here, I've owned the car since 2007 and I've had nothing but a hard time. Scion is of no help either. They can only say they have made a note but have no pending open recalls or other complaints about the car. I have no working radio, a sunroof that squeals, breaks that pop and make noises, a front bumper that looks like it is holding on by floss, the rear hatch plastic is about to break off (I've seen other Scions with tape holding up the part), over all I've found the car to be sub-par with what Toyota has made in the past.