Smarter than Smart.
By deansmith on
2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)
I traded in a 2008 Smart car on this 2012 IQ. A very smart move. This car is faster, more comfortable, more storage space, and seemingly better built. That last statement is based on hearing a "solid" sound when closing the doors. I also paid $18,800, because of the premium stereo, Sirius XM, fog lights, premium paint, fancy wheels, etc. This is NOT a stripped down econo-box...it rides, drives, and feels just like a "real" car.
Favorite Features
I love the "touch screen" radio, and the blue-tooth connection to my cell phone is automatic and fast. The microphone on the steering column is fabulous, and most people can't tell I'm driving as I talk. NO need to shout, or move your head closer to the unit --- it's like talking to a passenger. Incoming calls are clear and "plenty loud".
Suggested Improvements
The glove box has been replaced with an air-bag, and a cheap, tacky, little plastic tray under the passenger seat serves as a glove box. A few cubby-holes, somewhere, would have been VERY nice. The motor is noisy-er than the Smart, but only during acceleration.
By believe
on 02/13/12 15:46 PM (PST)

BTW.....Dean Smith......congrats on your new car!

By kneisl1
on 02/07/12 09:17 AM (PST)

By hll7575
on 03/09/12 06:06 AM (PST)

Over a year ago, I read about someone in UK test driving the iQ to maximize its fuel efficiency and got north of 60 MPG. Maybe that's the confusion. Regardless, at the EPA rating, it is still an efficient car. Of course, one could always compare it to a Prius (also by Toyota) which is roomier and has better gas mileage, maybe $$5K-$7K more similarly equipped. Since both cars are made by Toyota, one has to wonder if Toyota is into something here. I think so. The majority of Americans have not traveled overseas to see how other countries deal with traffic congestions and high fuel prices. As a result, small cars are a norm. You have to give Toyota credit to design a small car to accommodate the "large" Americans and the American lifestyle. Unless you have been living in Mars, you probably felt the impact of the Great Recession - more people are getting rid of cars or resorting to fuel efficient cars, and are living close to mass transit. The result is to have little or no space for large or even traditional mid-size cars. Most of the activities are associated with short distance and urban driving. iQ fits the current and future trend perfectly.

By garbinator
on 02/21/12 23:35 PM (PST)

I am somewhat bewildered the many negatives this little micro has aroused... I test drove one just this week and well, cannot stop thinking about it ever since. I am 57 years old and the little car made me feel 16 again. Back then I owned a 1958 Morris Minor Salon 4dr and had so much fun, thrifty on gas, very slow, non-synchronous tranny, horrible handling, and a hand crank under the bonnet. Long before that, My father owned a BMW Isetta 3 wheeler micro mini car. Talk about LOADS of fun! The new scion took me back, back to fun times I'd long forgotten. I find everything the car offers its driver to be superb. It brings the new customer a very low maintenance vehicle as it is not meant to be a sporty car. The young folk I see on the roads in small cars average over 75 to 80MPH on the freeway... sorta crosses out any gas savings in my book. Acceleration; Why the hit? I read all over the net the take-off is horrible. It is an urban get around car. In a league of its own. Safety; Possibly scion hasn't done a good enough job marketing the safety cage surrounding occupants. Because all I read is negative opinions about being crushed to death if involved in a collision. Milage; BIG confusion regarding ERO MPG versus U.S. MPG figures. U.S. is standard SAE 1gal. versus the IMPERIAL gal. (1.5gal.) the ERO uses that produces seemingly more MPG figures. Quality of car. Pure Toyota through and through. This micro car will deliver good solid service for many years to come if its owner follows recommended service intervals. Appearance/Looks; Huuum, Wife thinks its ugly, won't ride in it, to small. My Dad, laughed when I showed him the car. Too small. I almost forgot, the PROJECTOR headlights? I drive the car at night and felt the headlights produced a very nice low beam spread pattern. Highbeam proved equally good but again, I was only traveling 55 MPH on a very dark two lane road. The car was not equipped with fog lights. Handling was superb, reminded me of my days racing go-carts. I am still plotting how I can buy one eventually.

By eddyiq
on 03/30/12 18:01 PM (PDT)

"We are not ready for the SmartCar nor the iQ. No one in the US wants a car like this. MB and Toyota have tried to make us want one by making it "upscale" ie styled, hip, and expensive. What it should be is cheap with the smallest possible engine for maxium fuel economy. It SHOULD be the cheapest possible car to buy and own. But its not. Smart failed with that approach and now, like lemmings following each other over a cliff, Toyota is following suit. Nothing good for Toyota will come of the iQ. Like the SmartCar they will pile up at dealerships. Automakers have for too long prospered on the "my car has to be a BMW" for me to be socially accepted. Then theres the airbag, ABS, traction control, "safety" mentality engrained in the public consciousness. (safety comes from the drivers, not the car)" WOW!, IMO you are sadly mistaken! In every aspect :P "iQ fits the current and future trend perfectly." (For all ages!) Agreed!

By sam214
on 01/14/12 07:42 AM (PST)

I love this micro car and had been waiting for 2 years, but then decided not to buy it because it doens't offer a stick shift, beside the fact that the fuel economy is not that good for a small car.

By sam214
on 04/24/12 13:17 PM (PDT)

"No one in the US wants a car like this" ? Is this propaganda from the maker of Hummer ? There are at least a whole bunch of us on this site who want this car because of its size. But Scion needs to jack up the fuel economy a bit, as the competitors are offering +40 mpg in bigger cars.