Poor gas milage
By rgutzler on
2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)
I have about 2000 miles on my Scion IQ. The car has yet to get over 29 mpg. My last tank ran 27.5 mpg and the low fuel light started flashing at 175 miles on the tank of gas. My IQ is running almost 25% less milage than the stated 36/37 on the window sticker. I am 65 years old and drive slow with no Jackrabbit starts. When I contacted my dealer, Billion Motors, in Sioux Falls, S.D. the service manager was defensive and indifferent. I purchased the car because I expected good milage and now feel like a fool for having a small car that gets substandard milage.
Favorite Features
I love everything about the car except the poor milage performance of 27.7 mpg when I should be getting around 36 mpg.
Suggested Improvements
Legislation is needed protecting consumers from over stated milage ratings.
By earltrans
on 05/03/13 15:08 PM (PDT)

purchased iq nov 2012 it's never got better than 29 mpg,our 2010 dx got 38 city 42 highway,dealer says nothing can be done just live with it. my wife loves the car,plus our blue tooth speaker is laying on the dash in front of the panel blocks the gauges,we've own ten Toyota's over the years and they always got better than EPA ratings.i think we've got a Hyundai case here. one service guy at another dealer said he was sick of hearing about the IQ MPG troubles.also we've used four tanks hightest fuel.hope we can do something good luck IQ owners

By hll7575
on 07/25/12 12:26 PM (PDT)

Glad that you found out the real cause of the low gas mileage with the IQ. Would you share the rest of us your other driving impression of the iQ?

By rgutzler
on 07/13/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

An update to my review. In my last tank of gas, following the tank that ran 27.7 mpg, the mpg dropped to a new low 24.9 mpg. The car is now with the dealer where they are checking to find out if there is some problem with the car. So far I love the car, hate the mileage.

By rgutzler
on 07/22/12 22:32 PM (PDT)

Since I posted my negative comments about the gas mileage for my Scion IQ I have discovered that the Governor of South Dakota has allowed big oil companies to sell 85 octane gas. That 85 octane gas is being sold in 87 octane pumps and kills the mileage for the Scion IQ's four cylinder engine. I changed to 89 octane gas with a 10% ethanol blend and my mileage jumped to a respectable 35 mpg. If you own a car with a 4 cylinder engine beware of cheap low octane gas. The oil companies are wanting to sell 81.5 octane gas in South Dakota or they may refuse to sell South Dakota Rapid City stations gas at all. This would reduce our in state gas supply by 70%. Big Oil strikes again!