Used 2012 Scion iQ Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Scion Iq - Consumer Reviews

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback

Base 1.3L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic - (14 reviews )

Great concept but poor execution
By sam214

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

For a small car it doesn't have the zip or the exceptional fuel economy expected. It does not have rear disc brake or any fancy features to justify its "premium" compact branding. The engine makes terrible noise and sounds like it has valves problems and only quiet down when warmed up, thus giving doubt to its long term reliability. The steering wheel makes scraping sounds, and brake pedal makes loud and annoying clicking sounds. Toyota technology and quality is missing in this car.

Favorite Features

The best feature of this car is its exterior compactness and interior roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota is regressing and not keeping up with its competitors. Needs to improve build quality and gas engine technology.

Cute, Roomy, Gas-Efficient & Technologically Friendly!
By nikegal

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I'm 5' 11, this gives me plenty of head/leg room! I work out of my car, so that is a important. 37 mpg both city & highway driving. That in itself is a reason to jump on in! Turns on a dime so you can get out of even the tightest spots easily. My view in all directions is phenomenal, unlike my Mini that had blindspots. I get a lifetime plan which includes free oil changes regular maintenance, plus, I also get roadside assistance. It has a 3 year/36k warranty. There is a nice pull-out drawer under the passenger seat for your laptop. The power windows go completely down with 1 touch, & I also have radio controls on my steering wheel. My iPod sounds great and the bluetooth is clear & easy!

Favorite Features

The ipod port and the ease of use. Also the push button phone answering ease, as well as, the windows!

Suggested Improvements

A little more cargo space would always be nice, though I understand this is intended to be small. A glove compartment is needed, especially since we women like to have space to store our "stuff"! A roof rack would be a great option also for road trips and the ability to carry more. Though I am not complaining about the gas mileage, I am sure Scion could squeeze a few more miles per gallon out of it than 37. Otherwise, I am happy!!

Good car.
By iqbill

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned em all. Traded in a truck for this. I bought $25 bucks worth of gas on my way to work Thursday, went to work Friday, after work, the get gas light came on. I had IT!! I was near the Toyota dealer, went by and looked at the Scions, my daughter has one, looked at the IQ, learned it was the cheapest to maintain over 3 years, said fine, take this truck, give me this car. Off i went. (had to continue below)

Favorite Features

Just got back from playing up in the new fallen snow, it was kinda fun, all the safety stuff going off, brakes pulsating, kind of fun, only complaint, i was trying to pass a Volkswagen stuck, and well, when you read the fine print, the car will stop you from moving up hill if your not getting any traction. (this is all the safety stuff, power to wheels, braking this, power to that). The car will not give me any power, even floored, so it was kind of disappointing. I had to turn around. The car would probably have made it up the road, but with all the safety deals, it wouldn't let me, first time in my life a car said NO to me. Might have been a good thing, but..

Suggested Improvements

Well, the knob for the climate controls seem kinda cheap, choice of floor mats. I would like the all season ones, i know these carpets are going to grab every piece of dirt, id rather i could just yank them out with and clean them with a little water. What else, nothing really. I mean nothing, I'm getting awesome mileage, like 32-40 when I'm milaging, so what is there to complain about?

Love this car!!
By supersk8

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

We drove this car from NJ to Oregon and it only cost $344!! We use this car mostly to get around town,food shopping,movies,and short commute to work...we put about $20 worth of gas in it every 2 weeks! Great car for getting around in and also handled well on a cross country trip. Has just enough space for us and the little dog. I love this little car! Turning radius is great. If I had the money I'd have it painted to look like a rollerskate! We love the superskate. I laughed the first few weeks when I'd open the front door and see it. Now I laugh at how little we pay for gas. Only problem..I wish the put the clock where both people could see it.

Suggested Improvements

Put clock in the middle of console

I love my lil iQ
By amadcow2

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I was attracted to the iQ for the gas mileage at the onset, but quickly grew to admire the little car. The final decision to buy my iQ was made when my wife asked my children; 'What car do you see your dad driving?' The answer made my choice clear; 'The iQ' So I'm now driving a nice purple iQ with the following at time of purchase: Lowering Springs, Anti Sway Bar, Fog lights, Spoiler I put in the following aftermarket: Pioneer AVIC Z140BH, Injen Cold Air Intake I love my little iQ. It's peppy and handles very very well. I'm mostly happy with the gas mileage, knowing that it will get better as I break in the engine.

Favorite Features

The ride is smooth (esp with the lowering springs and sway bar) and much bigger than the size. I love the way the car handles. You do feel very connected to the road.

Suggested Improvements

To quiet all of the comments, Scion absolutely needs to offer a 5-speed manual transmission. That alone would make this car legend... wait for it... ary.