Used 2012 Scion iQ Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.3L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic - (19 reviews )

Impulse buy. I'm very happy with it.
By Like A Rock

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a pre-owned base model, silver color. The base model still comes nicely equipped with stability and traction control, pw. pdl, great ac, great stereo and speakers, 1 usb, 1 aux, and 1 power port. My base model has hubcaps but I like the way they look over the alloy wheels I've seen on other IQ's. There are pros and cons about this car so I will start with the pros: It is one of the safest cars on the road, has 11 airbags, and drives and handles great. Steering is quick and precise, and it can turn around in a very small space making easy driving in traffic or lots. I don't have any trouble getting to speed on highway on-ramps, or passing vehicles when I need to. The engine is a 1.3L which is plenty big. I'm not going to knock other cars in this class because I have not driven them, but one car that's in the same class, but only has two seats, is sporting an engine almost half the size of the IQ, basically motorcycle size, and I don't think that's viable option for a long term vehicle. The 1.3L engine size has been commonly used around the World and has no issues. I actually belong to a Ford Festiva club in my area and those were made with same size 1.3L engines back in the 80s and 90s that were less refined than the Toyota IQ engine, and anyone that knows about Festivas they are one of the best basic utility cars ever made and many are still on the road today running like champs (including mine); some with 300k plus on the odo. The Scion IQ doesn't fall short in performance in my opinion. You won't be winning any races up the freeway ramp against bigger engine sports cars but it performs very well and will get you to proper speed...and don't worry nobody is going to blow your doors off it can make those other drivers sweat while they try to pass you. On the highway it doesn't want to cruise 55mph...it wants to go 85mph smooth and quiet so watch your speed it has plenty of juice. The automatic CVT transmission performs great, is easy to use, and has a power option for climbing steep roads. In town it also drives great and gets a lot of attention. They are not that common and people tend to gather around them when parked. The interior is designed cool, and controls are easy to use. The computer readout on the left side of the dash can give the driver all sorts of data including average mileage, a couple of trip odometers, eco on, clock, etc. Gas mileage for me has been better than the advertised 37 hwy and 37 city. I reset my trip odometer at every fill up and calculate my mileage mostly for fun, and in many cases I get a little over 40mpg which is a mix of city and city freeway. The CVT mentioned earlier is what makes this car perform so well. The one time I got less than 37mpg was a road trip to San Diego in which I drove a steady 75-80mph, steep hills, ac on, and averaged about 33mpg...still not bad. Cargo room is okay considering the size and length of this car. I mostly drive alone in it and just keep the backseats folded down to pick up packages, groceries, etc. The backseats are divided so you can fold one down if you have cargo and a back seat passenger. The car is really made for 3 adults, and one small child or cargo. The front dash on the interior is offset to allow the front passenger to sit forward a little more if needed so an adult can ride in back. I have seen video reviews of 4 adults in the car, and actually you could get a total of 5 in the car, but it's really a 3+1 car to be comfortable. Still, it's one of the smallest and best made (Toyota ) 4 seat cars in the World. ---- Cons: I really have no complaints, but here are a few cons to consider. Cargo room is limited if you haul large items other than mail packages and groceries. It doesn't have a spare tire, but it does have the commonly used electric air pump that plugs in the dash and the slime to pump into the tire. I have not used this on my car but did help a lady in a new model Hyundai who had a flat and it worked fine and got air back in her tire so she could seek out a tire repair or purchase. I honestly prefer to have a spare tire though. The tires are wide and perform very well, but it's an odd size P175/60R16 that only a couple manufacturers make (Goodyear is the recommended tire). The cost is about $153 each at the time I wrote this. Lastly, idiot drivers on the road that only use mirrors to change lanes might not see you. On one occasion I’ve had someone change lanes into my lane at night right next to me. They just don’t see you in their mirror because of the length. --- Overall, I love this car and I’m glad I bought it. The Toyota quality also gives me confidence in it. So far I’ve had one regular maintenance service at the Toyota dealer and it was fast and cheap.

Just what I needed!
By Fearless Freddie

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

Remember it is a very small car, good for 2 people and use the back seat area for shopping bags. You get Toyota reliability and an automatic that reminds me of the very old Dynaflow. It is easy to drive and provides a smooth ride on good roads and a transmission that is shiftlessly smooth. When two people are in the car you will think it is full sized. Quality is good and what ever you do, don't look for the transmission dipstick! Why? It is nonexistent. The transmission is sealed and supposedly good for 120,000 miles. Basically don't worry about it, forever! There is a dipstick for engine oil. Use 0 W 20 weight. Good radio! This is your chance to go green and save us all from global warming. By the way the car has been discontinued by Toyota so their are bargains out there on the used car market for a great little city car. I did take it out on the expressway and it did nicely at 65 mph. I suggest driving with 2 hands on the steering wheel! Enjoy and adjust if you buy one.

Great little car
By Tim Hedglin

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

These car are really strong my kid was hit by a Chevy Colbalt @ 35 MPH and it held great the Chevy look like it hit a pole and the IQ only had minor damage to the right front. I would recommend this car totally.

Awesome little car
By Brad

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

Great car for the money. I have had it almost 2 months now. I wanted a small gas getter car that is dependable. It's a toyota that gets around 37mpg. It's comfortable and fun to drive. Comes loaded with options. I spent 5 hours waxing and detailing it and tinted the windows. It looks real nice. You don't see too many of them. I was driving a full size truck that got around 14mpg before I got this car. Gas prices aren't too bad right now (around $2 gallon in OH). It is nice filling the gas tank up for $13 and driving it for over a week.

Good little car for the money
By Doug

2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I didn't go out to buy this model, but dealer had one - low mileage, low cost. I enjoy my driving experience, no problems so far. 38 - 40
mpg, easy to get around. I like mine!