2012 Scion iQ - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.3L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic - (14 reviews )
Great concept but poor execution
By sam214 on 10/28/13 13:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

For a small car it doesn't have the zip or the exceptional fuel economy expected. It does not have rear disc brake or any fancy features to justify its "premium" compact branding. The engine makes terrible noise and sounds like it has valves problems and only quiet down when warmed up, thus giving doubt to its long term reliability. The steering wheel makes scraping sounds, and brake pedal makes loud and annoying clicking sounds. Toyota technology and quality is missing in this car.

Cute, Roomy, Gas-Efficient & Technologically Friendly!
By nikegal on 05/18/13 07:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I'm 5' 11, this gives me plenty of head/leg room! I work out of my car, so that is a important. 37 mpg both city & highway driving. That in itself is a reason to jump on in! Turns on a dime so you can get out of even the tightest spots easily. My view in all directions is phenomenal, unlike my Mini that had blindspots. I get a lifetime plan which includes free oil changes regular maintenance, plus, I also get roadside assistance. It has a 3 year/36k warranty. There is a nice pull-out drawer under the passenger seat for your laptop. The power windows go completely down with 1 touch, & I also have radio controls on my steering wheel. My iPod sounds great and the bluetooth is clear & easy!

Good car.
By iqbill on 02/19/13 22:57 PM (PST)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned em all. Traded in a truck for this. I bought $25 bucks worth of gas on my way to work Thursday, went to work Friday, after work, the get gas light came on. I had IT!! I was near the Toyota dealer, went by and looked at the Scions, my daughter has one, looked at the IQ, learned it was the cheapest to maintain over 3 years, said fine, take this truck, give me this car. Off i went. (had to continue below)

Love this car!!
By supersk8 on 10/22/12 11:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

We drove this car from NJ to Oregon and it only cost $344!! We use this car mostly to get around town,food shopping,movies,and short commute to work...we put about $20 worth of gas in it every 2 weeks! Great car for getting around in and also handled well on a cross country trip. Has just enough space for us and the little dog. I love this little car! Turning radius is great. If I had the money I'd have it painted to look like a rollerskate! We love the superskate. I laughed the first few weeks when I'd open the front door and see it. Now I laugh at how little we pay for gas. Only problem..I wish the put the clock where both people could see it.

I love my lil iQ
By amadcow2 on 09/06/12 07:18 AM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I was attracted to the iQ for the gas mileage at the onset, but quickly grew to admire the little car. The final decision to buy my iQ was made when my wife asked my children; 'What car do you see your dad driving?' The answer made my choice clear; 'The iQ' So I'm now driving a nice purple iQ with the following at time of purchase: Lowering Springs, Anti Sway Bar, Fog lights, Spoiler I put in the following aftermarket: Pioneer AVIC Z140BH, Injen Cold Air Intake I love my little iQ. It's peppy and handles very very well. I'm mostly happy with the gas mileage, knowing that it will get better as I break in the engine.

My favorite car I've owned, so far
By jhw21 on 08/25/12 20:20 PM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I really enjoy and appreciate having a car that suits my needs. I no longer not feel I am driving around in 5 or 6 x as much car as is necessary. I love the way the iQ handles, I love the gas mileage, and I love the statement that it makes, which I see as something like, "Lets get real, people. the survival of our planet is more important than looking like a bigshot."

Poor gas milage
By rgutzler on 07/09/12 22:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I have about 2000 miles on my Scion IQ. The car has yet to get over 29 mpg. My last tank ran 27.5 mpg and the low fuel light started flashing at 175 miles on the tank of gas. My IQ is running almost 25% less milage than the stated 36/37 on the window sticker. I am 65 years old and drive slow with no Jackrabbit starts. When I contacted my dealer, Billion Motors, in Sioux Falls, S.D. the service manager was defensive and indifferent. I purchased the car because I expected good milage and now feel like a fool for having a small car that gets substandard milage.

A Go Cart built like a Lexus.
By ramrod7 on 05/18/12 04:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my IQ on 1/3/12, just after it arrived at my local Toyota Dealer. I now have 3600 miles on the IQ. My previous car was a 2010 Challenger. The IQ is very nimble and easy to see out of. The Challenger had serious blind spots. A simple lane change required lots of mirror checking and head movement. I had the Scion Red rear stabilizer bar installed by the dealer. This part took about a week to arrived/be installed, so I had a chance to do a before/after comparison. The stabilizer bar is worth every penny it cost IMHO. Prior to installation the rear would lean quite a bit during spirited cornering. Now the IQ maintains a flat stance in corners w/very little lean.

I can't stop smiling"
By 883 on 05/10/12 09:43 AM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

"I can't stop smiling since I've had it" was my response when a lady who practically ran across the parking lot asked how I liked it. I've had others taking pictures of it on their phones, people missing their "green light" at intersections because they were staring at it, another fella in a cammed up Corvette laugh with me when I motioned that I'd race him off the light. I never would have thought that this little commuter car would be such a blast to drive. It's smooth, quiet, roomy, solid and quick off the light. I drive alone, so I folded the back seats down, bought the cargo carpet and use it as a hatchback.

Scion did it again...
By mistergib on 04/28/12 19:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Scion iQ 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl CVT)

I'm 65, and have been a Toyota fan like forever, I appreciate quality and dependability. I knew I would like the Scion iQ, I just didn't realize how much! It's has a very solid feel with nice quiet ride, ample power with a great cvt tranny... and the gas mileage is way up there at 37 mpg combined! I traded in a loaded 2010 Kia Soul Sport that actually never gave me any problems, but its a/t shifted funky from day one, the interior material scratched if you breathed wrong, and I was constantly hunting down rattles....so, I was never quite happy with it. It had only 10,600 miles on it when I traded it in. My first Kia and probably my last. Bottom line, buy a Scion iQ....A+A+A+

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Scion iQ in VA is:

$151 per month*