Used 2013 Scion FR-S Coupe Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Scion FR-S Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific FR-S model:

FRS - ThrowOut Bearing Failure & Customer Service
By Matt Guerra

2013 Scion FR-S Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ok... I'll start saying that I love this car; it's great to drive, engaging, responsive and lots of fun. Yes, there's an annoying torque dip in the power band, but you can live with it.

My cautionary tale is regarding its reliability and the willingness from Toyota/Scion to go the extra step (no, not mile) to help their customers. I say that because I have worked with customer service directly or indirectly for the last 16 years and I expected more from a brand with reputation for reliability.

I have bought the car used and I am its second owner. It has only around 27k miles and I have well maintained the car with regular oil changes (synthetic), only shell V-power 93 octane gas, flushed the transmission and differential oil, checked brakes etc -- all items from the manual within their mileage.

This Saturday evening while going to have dinner with my wife, we noticed a squeaky noise when I pushed the clutch pedal. It is nothing really alarming, but it clearly indicates something is wrong and some part is wearing down. It was too late to call the closest dealer and, since Monday was national holiday, I brought the car to a Kwik Kar close to my house. I have researched some forums and the mechanic confirmed: it was the throwout bearing. It was disappointing, considering that I drive mostly highways and I've never tracked or autocrossed the car -- and it doesn't even have 30k miles.

I called the dealer on Tuesday, the only day available, and asked them to check when my warranty expires. Surprise: it expired on 05/29. I was calling on 05/31. The guy was very helpful and felt sorry for me and I asked if they could make an exception, they answered it doesn't depend on them -- they have to get the exception approved by Toyota's Customer Service directly to their management team. Time to call the customer service.

The representative Peter was helpful and opened a case number for me, in theory to ask for a decision regarding if they would approve a service under the warranty due to the circumstances and said that someone would contact me back within 2 days max. No one contacted me, so today I called again. I talked to Vince this time, he explained that this case number was only to document what happened. It would need an authorized (from a Toyota dealer) inspection to verify if the issue was actually throw out bearing, and if I decided to build a case for warranty it would still have to be within the warranty, therefore I had no way out since it was expired. He said I was misinformed by the previous rep on my expectations.

I said I understood that the warranty per se had just expired, but if I could speak to his manager or someone who had the power to approve an exception since it was an unusual issue for a car fairly new and with low mileages. Per Vince, the warranty cannot be extended or any time-grant extension cannot be conceived; there are absolute no exceptions at all. He stressed that no one, regardless of hierarchy in the company, could approve the service under warranty since it is expired, and he was a representative in power to make these statements because there was no decision to make.

I like this car. Yes, before I said I loved this car, I know. But considering the confidence that Toyota inspired me with such an early failure and poor customer service, I will take the hit this time, but I am not likely to ever buy another product from them again. Who knows what will happen to the car when it is 70k miles; I might not keep it to find out. Oh, if you search forums you will see several similar cases of early failure of this component. Do your research before you commit to a car.

...................

06/16/2016 - Quick update for what is worth; I called again the Dealer and they honored the warranty, even though Toyota did not. The car is fixed and I give 5 stars for the dealer which went the extra mile and provided a great customer service. Toyota as a brand, however, left a sour taste in my mouth. If you find a good dealership, stick to it.

Overall very disappointing
By garrett2000

2013 Scion FR-S Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have the 6 speed manual.
There are 2 main problems with the car, the first being the severe lack of power.
Scion claims this car has 200 HP, I beg to differ, it's lucky if it has 150.
The acceleration is absolutely terrible, and the hesitation off the line makes the situation even worse.
However, once it's in 3rd gear or later, it does get a little better.

The other thing that bothers me about the car is the transmission grinds when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd.
It doesn't happen every time, but happens enough to be severely annoying.

The only redeeming quality of the car is the styling.
It looks like a sports car, but that's where the similarity ends.

Styling on the inside and out is superb. People stop me and comment all the time about how good it looks. They also say it looks very fast, and then I tell them that looks can be deceiving. The comfort of the seats is great, they really wrap you up and hold you as soon as you sit into them. As long as you're not driving, you'll feel like you're sitting in a sports car. My car came with the touchscreen stereo, which I really like. The sound quality is great and the Bluetooth is easy to set up and works well.

Two words: More Power Why Toyota decided to put this gutless 2.0 engine in the car is beyond me. My guess is that in later model years they will be forced to offer an engine upgrade to remedy the issue once and for all.

So Far Great
By oceaneer77

2013 Scion FR-S Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I had for a very long time an old porsche 928 s4.
It was a amazing car, and I thrashed the crap out of it. It died a terrible death...
The new Scion replaced it.
The Sion is not nearly as fast, nor as flashy. But it is WAAAAY more fun. At every red light the little 4 gives it a mighty big BRAAAPPPP and off we go. The shift points are just pure joy.
This is not a car that will set a new land speed record, or corner at speeds that make your brains turn to mush. BUT----It is a very fun car that is amazingly responsive.
It puts a smile on your face driving in city traffic as its sure is a little street fighter.
Its great on the highway and its MPG is amazing.
The car has a real soul.

Wow its great on snow.. The trac control works very very well. L/100K is in the City coming back at 9.1 every fill up ( 5000K so far). I drive it very very badly, full throttle off of every light. So that is amazing. Long trips 6.5ish. Amazing suspension and control in adverse conditions. The car is really very easy to drive and live with.

Just a tad more power, 225? 250?

Best Driver's Car
By worldrally17

2013 Scion FR-S Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Don't listen to everybody who berates this car.
Those are the people who don't understand its purpose.
After 10,000 miles through 6 states and Canada, I can tell you this car is great in every single circumstance.
City, highway, straight road, twisty road, road course, etc.
I can get 34mpg on the highway, and average 31mpg even with some autocrosses and track days sprinkled in.
You can fit a 6' person in the back as long as the front passenger is willing to give up some leg room.
I honestly test drove every single new car with a manual transmission under $25k and this was by far my favorite.

31mpg average. Handling is outstanding. Most new cars understeer at the limit, but this car is perfectly neutral. Seats are very supportive. Hood opens beyond 90 degrees making it very easy to work on. Oil filter is on the top of the engine, making oil changes extremely easy. For a coupe the trunk space is very good, especially with the rear seat folded flat. Interior quality is great. Much better than my previous car (2006 Mazda 3).

Lumbar support. Center armrest. Personally I think it should be a little louder from the factory. Stereo is only adequate. Paint quality is not very good. Paint chips starting showing up much earlier and more frequently than in my Mazda.

The most smiles per mile
By buhlonee

2013 Scion FR-S Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Purchased my Asphalt Grey FR-S 6-speed manual in June of 2012.
Traded up from a 2002 WRx (original owner), and while I miss the all-wheel drive and turbo rush, my FR-S just makes me smile every time I'm behind the wheel.
Mine is primarily used as a weekend fun car, and I argue that there is nothing out on the road today that is even close in price that makes you feel as connected to the pure, visceral driving experience as this $24K gem.
The steering is easily controlled, the shifter is perfect and the engine grumble is nice (I'm a sucker for boxster engines).
I would not use this as a daily driver, but as a second car, it is just perfect.

Shifter, steering, balance, sightlines, inspired confidence through the twisties (with new wheels/tires - see suggested improvements) and storage space with rear seats (a loose term in this car) folded down. This is truly a drivers car and is rewarding at various levels of driving talent. It is wicked fun with the stability control and VTC turned off.

Dealer offered tire and wheel upgrades would be nice. The original OEMs are fun for about a week and then you want some additional grip and control in the twisties. The touch-screen radio is better than the std. (anything would be)but its is still a poor unit, esp. in bright sunlight. A center armrest would be nice for longer drives, but I've purchased an after-market unit that fits nicely into the cup holders. Lastly, a center dash storage nook would be nice as there is literally no storage in any useful location. Beside the tires/wheels, these are all just nit-picky complaints.