Had it 1 day...feel like we struck gold (so far)
By zionadams on
2008 Saturn VUE XE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
I test drove a lot of cars, over about a one year period. I took them on freeways, up hills, even off-roading in one instance. This car was the winner. We bought an XE with 62k miles on it, that's got all the options of an XR with the smaller 2.4 motor. My sports car freak husband, who is 6'7" tall, loves it. We are not small people but this car fits our frames fine. Our needs for a good value combined with a solid feel were met, we hope, in the VE. The mileage estimates are 25/30. On the freeway, it does 85 without hesitation. No vibration, no lag in shifting. The engine is quiet, but not just because it's small. It's just a quiet vehicle, even the air system is quiet when blowing.
Favorite Features
The leg room and head room are ample, lengthwise. I like to lean my legs to the side (I'm 5'6" tall) and I wish it were a little wider but that's true for all but the fullest size SUV's I test drove. Overall, the dimensions of the cab will comfortably fit fluffy chicks and tall guys alike. The ergonomically designed dash is what sold me on the interior. Classic styling will appeal to grown ups; this car is sold as the Opel SUV in Europe. The full front/back leather seats are beautiful. Doors are trimmed in leather. The multi-compartment center console is nice. No big blind spots so far. Very comparable to the Jeep Compass, with a slightly shorter bed. Feels more Euro than Asian.
Suggested Improvements
So far, I'd say there aren't a lot of improvements I'd suggest. I was picky and this car checked all my boxes. It's comparable in quality to a high end Chrysler or the tricked out Kia SUV. If I could reposition the center console, I'd move it forward 6", so that my forearm were better rested, but pushing the seat back solves the issue. I do wish there'd been a larger concealed area under the trunk/tailgate area. There's 2 binnies large enough to keep dog toys or even work boots, around the spare tire edges. But, not large enough to hide an overnight bag. This feels like a woman's car but guys will enjoy it too. Now, let's just hope the motor holds up...I'll be back!