Used 2008 Saturn VUE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Don't - just don't....
By 4norm79

2008 Saturn VUE Red Line 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After owning this car for the past two years, I must caution anyone who is contemplating purchasing one. The car I bought was a "certified" vehicle with a 12 month/12000 warranty. Warning, that's not enough protection. Repairs done so far:transmission replacement, front engine cover, brake sensor malfunction, ignition replacement, body control module failure, ignition control module failure and two dead batteries. Save yourself some time, money and frustration and buy yourself a decent car.

Favorite Features

Acceleration

Had it 1 day...feel like we struck gold (so far)
By zionadams

2008 Saturn VUE XE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove a lot of cars, over about a one year period. I took them on freeways, up hills, even off-roading in one instance. This car was the winner. We bought an XE with 62k miles on it, that's got all the options of an XR with the smaller 2.4 motor. My sports car freak husband, who is 6'7" tall, loves it. We are not small people but this car fits our frames fine. Our needs for a good value combined with a solid feel were met, we hope, in the VE. The mileage estimates are 25/30. On the freeway, it does 85 without hesitation. No vibration, no lag in shifting. The engine is quiet, but not just because it's small. It's just a quiet vehicle, even the air system is quiet when blowing.

Favorite Features

The leg room and head room are ample, lengthwise. I like to lean my legs to the side (I'm 5'6" tall) and I wish it were a little wider but that's true for all but the fullest size SUV's I test drove. Overall, the dimensions of the cab will comfortably fit fluffy chicks and tall guys alike. The ergonomically designed dash is what sold me on the interior. Classic styling will appeal to grown ups; this car is sold as the Opel SUV in Europe. The full front/back leather seats are beautiful. Doors are trimmed in leather. The multi-compartment center console is nice. No big blind spots so far. Very comparable to the Jeep Compass, with a slightly shorter bed. Feels more Euro than Asian.

Suggested Improvements

So far, I'd say there aren't a lot of improvements I'd suggest. I was picky and this car checked all my boxes. It's comparable in quality to a high end Chrysler or the tricked out Kia SUV. If I could reposition the center console, I'd move it forward 6", so that my forearm were better rested, but pushing the seat back solves the issue. I do wish there'd been a larger concealed area under the trunk/tailgate area. There's 2 binnies large enough to keep dog toys or even work boots, around the spare tire edges. But, not large enough to hide an overnight bag. This feels like a woman's car but guys will enjoy it too. Now, let's just hope the motor holds up...I'll be back!

Saturn Vue XR built in Mexico
By saturncrap

2008 Saturn VUE XR 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I own a 2008 saturn vue xr...with 70000 km on it.. what i have replaced. Battery on the first week I had it..and it goes on. Brake Booster/ total braking system with pedals Igniton switch/wiper motors /sway bar links. Now leaking transmission/and moisture inside the windows in the winter This was an expensive purchase ..hoping to keep this vehicle for a few more years.. $ 35,000.00 purchase.

Favorite Features

Nice to drive / I like the looks of this vehicle

Suggested Improvements

I don't know where to start. Not sure about purchasing another GM product. Althow this was assembled in Mexico. Maybe the new ChevyTrax built in canada will be better. Should I take the chance.

Sad Sad Sad
By lostinslc

2008 Saturn VUE XE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this 08 Saturn Vue brand new, first car ever I was able to take off the showroom floor. As a 22 year GM dedicated consumer I felt I was in good hands, boy I was wrong. In 4 years I have replaced the tires three times, the power steering pump twice, the engine mounts, and the battery fried out after one year. GM won't back their repairs and their product and they expect us to be happy with a $30,000 vehicle that keeps breaking down. Sorry to say, I may become a Ford man now, goodbye GM.

Favorite Features

The engine does have great power in the V6, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound if you can make sure it is running correctly.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making the parts so hard to find and replace. I have to special order air filters when other GM vehicles are readily available.

Not a bad Vue from here
By 4norm78

2008 Saturn VUE Red Line 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2008 Certified Pre Owned (CPO) Saturn Vue Redline a month ago with 47,000 miles on it. The five year, 50,000 mile warranty was done, but the 12 month, 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty tagged with free regular maintenance for 2 years or 24,000 miles made up for it. Iíve been averaging over 19 mpg driving on my 12 mile loop to work each day. I did get a rather curious mpg reading driving around Arizona. From Phoenix to Prescott, going up the mountain, the car was getting 19 mpg. Going done the mountain, the car registered 29 mpg, averaging just short of 25 mpg for the trip. Driving from Phoenix to Tucson, which is relatively flat, the car only got 19 mpg. I looked at the XR model, but I liked the upgraded Redline interior much better. The car rides rather firm, but smooth. The engine has adequate pick up, but the transmission does seem to hunt for the right gear from time to time. No problem with the A/C, but I did have to take the car in for repairs to the passenger side windshield wiper Ė twice. My car has the remote start and rain sensing options. Iím having no problems finding parts. Found a new cargo shade for less than the dealer price, delivered with no sales tax. When shopping, I looked at RX 330ís and 350ís, but the prices were just too high for a high mileage Lexus that uses premium gas and you see one of them every time you turn your head. The Saturn is out of production, but the current Chevy version of the car provides dealer service and warranty work options.

Favorite Features

Remote start, leather seats